Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crossdresser or Transvestite

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Rachael View Post
    A good point. I, too, don't like be cast. we are after all indivduals.

Linguistically, there is no verb associated with the noun transvestite, one cannot "transvest"....

Rachael
    I say we start using the verb "transvest" in our everyday conversations. How's that for a neologism?

"I transvested last night, and I loved it!"

does it matter, I don't like labels at all. I'm a CD and mostly a regular nice guy who loves to wear femme clothes, which I enjoy very much.

I just consider myself a crossdresser. Male but trying to look as feminine as possible.

Victoria

It was still "transvestite" in the seventies. In 1979 I read the term "crossdresser" in a book and in several texts in a nearby college campus library. "Crossdresser" sounds more acceptable when conducting serious business. "Transvestite" sounds sexy but kind of depraved and slovenly. I prefer "transvestite" but "crossdresser" will get us a lot further politically and socially and so many people have come to use "crossdresser" in the past 25-30 years. It's the term I use most often to make myself understood and I find that people react a little bit more cordially to me if I say "crossdresser" instead of "transvestite".

When did we stop being transvestites?
    That would be May 16,1974, at 2:12 pm. Didn't you get the memo? Andrea

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
    terms like

"transvestite" brings to mind the classic guy in a black corset and skimpy panties, torn nylons with a whip, doing kinky gay sex.

"cross dresser" brings to mind a guy trying very much to look and act like a real woman.

but in fact they are the same words just from different worlds.

Loni

When I've been asked whether I'm a CD or TV I ask what's the difference? - typically answer is CD's are 'part time' while TV's are 'full time' in which case I answer "then I'm a CD". But based on Loni's definition - I'm both!

i like crossdresser because thats what i do i flip back and forth,and sometimes i mix masculin,and feminine so crossdress fits me better.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

See I feel as you do. Transvestite is the proper term. Cross dresser is not. People here have issues and inner turmoil. Transvestite is some times confused for transsexual. I understand that I get it. People are dumb. What can you do.

But transvestite is who I am. I don't cross anything when, I DRESS LIKE A FREAKING WOMAN ! I think and act like a woman when I am in that mode. Thats why people get me angry. It's who you are get over and love you'r self man!

For get other people be proud BE A TRANSVESTITE !

NOW FOR THE LAST TIME START ACTING LIKE A WOMAN !

Transvestite : a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification.

Now since I am finding it hard to find a clear definition on crossdresser. Here the Wikipedia definition.

Provided by Wikipedia

Cross-dressing is the wearing of clothing and other accoutrement commonly associated with a gender within a particular society that is seen as different than the one usually presented by the dresser.[1] Cross-dressing has been used for disguise, performance art and as a literary trope in modern times and throughout history.

Nearly every human society throughout history has distinguished between male and female gender by the style, color, or type of clothing they wear and has had a set of norms, views, guidelines, or even laws defining what type of clothing is appropriate for each gender. Cross-dressing runs significantly counter to those norms and, therefore, can be seen as a type of transgender behavior. It does not, however, necessarily indicate transgender identity; a person who cross-dresses does not always identify as being of the opposite gender.

The term cross-dressing denotes an action or a behavior without attributing or proposing causes for that behavior. Some people automatically connect cross-dressing behavior to transgender identity or sexual, fetishist, and homosexual behavior, but the term cross-dressing itself does not imply any motives. However, referring to a person as a cross-dresser suggests that their cross-dressing behavior is habitual and may be taken to mean that the person identifies as transgendered. The term cross-dresser should therefore be used with care to avoid causing misunderstanding or offense.
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-23-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: multi post after merge

They are the same thing.... and both are user definable, imho... and both are just labels....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    They are the same thing.... and both are user definable, imho... and both are just labels....
    And both mean exactly the same thing.

Trans = Latin for 'cross'
    Vestite = Latin for 'dresser'

Hence, crossdresser, transvestite, same thing!
    "I Used to Have a Handle on Life, But It Broke"

They both mean the same thing , they have just played about with the wording to make them sound different meanings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"] Didn't we just do this one?

I love the term crossdresser among my friends here and elsewhere. It's a friendly term that conveys exactly what we do but not who we are. It just seems more accurate than transvestite which seems to be a term our detractors would rather use because of it's negative connotations.[/SIZE]

Transvestite or Crossdresser?
    This question comes up pretty regularly here, they are both labels nothing more. It's up to each individual what you call yourself.

Me?....Just call me Debs

Quote Originally Posted by Emily L View Post
    I say we start using the verb "transvest" in our everyday conversations. How's that for a neologism?

"I transvested last night, and I loved it!"
    Good idea, maybe it will make it into the dictionary some day. It's a verb in Spanish and vest is also a verb in English, not that it is common usage in respect of wearing clothes now, so why not transvest.

I am looking forward to the next time I transvest.

Weather's good here, so I am in naturist mode. (No verb for that activity, or is there?) LOL

Rachael
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

And the point of this thread is ?

Oh, thanks Wikepedia. I am now fully informed.

(Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but sometimes it just works!)
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Mirani View Post
    And the point of this thread is ?

Oh, thanks Wikepedia. I am now fully informed.

(Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but sometimes it just works!)
    Post count?

Rachael
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Weather's good here, so I am in naturist mode. (No verb for that activity, or is there?) LOL

Rachael
    "Divest" ???
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

How about this?, "A wearer of pretty clothes" No connotation of why, just what is done. OK so we add a bit of padding and do a bit of cinching to have the clothing hang right, maybe add some nice shoes, having heels on them causes our lower limbs to look better. Oh, and perhaps we should decorate our ears with something shiny, and maybe a little makeup to assist the facial features. perhaps a head covering of some kind. The end of our upper limbs really requires some sort of color.

OMG ... I'M A CROSSDRESSER, what have I done???
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Ok I fine with either label.Since people have preconceived notions anyway.Call me me what you want, but make sure you call me to go shopping for something girly

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    OMG Not this again.as they say where I come from,This is doing my nut in,Transvestite or Crossdresser it really doesn't matter I dont mind either description,we dont need to label ourselves at every turn do we? Everyone that doesn't understand us does that enough.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

It tastes the same, rite!?

U say, " potahto", I say, " potayto"! Both r great with butter, chives, and a steak!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have been surprised to learn that there is a difference and it is quite straight forward and simple.
    If you dress and wear stockings then you are a transvestite whereas if you wear tights then you are a cross dresser unless the stockings are of a greater denier than that of what a cross dresser would normally wear you then become a cross dresser the same as if the cross dresser wears stockings of a greater denier than that of what a transvestite would wear then you become a transvestite but if a transvestite wears cotton panties instead of nylon panties then they revert to a cross dresser and the same go`s if a cross dresser wears nylon panties instead of cotton panties then they revert to being a transvestite , but this can slightly complicate things if the transvestite wears cotton panties with a lower denier of stockings to that normally worn then they become a cross dresser but if a cross dresser wear nylon panties with a lower denier tights to that which is normally worn they stay a cross dresser, cross dressers will wear high heeled shoes unless they just happen to be wearing lower heeled shoes at some time and a transvestite will wear any shoes unless they like one particular style , transvestites will wear makeup unless they happen to not have any on whereas cross dressers will not wear makeup unless they happen to have some on , so the difference is really quite simple and straight forward which i must admit surprised me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I'm not a Crossdresser, I'm normally very calm!

Quote Originally Posted by joanne f View Post
    I have been surprised to learn that there is a difference and it is quite straight forward and simple.
    If you dress and wear stockings then you are a transvestite whereas if you wear tights then you are a cross dresser unless the stockings are of a greater denier than that of what a cross dresser would normally wear you then become a cross dresser the same as if the cross dresser wears stockings of a greater denier than that of what a transvestite would wear then you become a transvestite but if a transvestite wears cotton panties instead of nylon panties then they revert to a cross dresser and the same go`s if a cross dresser wears nylon panties instead of cotton panties then they revert to being a transvestite , but this can slightly complicate things if the transvestite wears cotton panties with a lower denier of stockings to that normally worn then they become a cross dresser but if a cross dresser wear nylon panties with a lower denier tights to that which is normally worn they stay a cross dresser, cross dressers will wear high heeled shoes unless they just happen to be wearing lower heeled shoes at some time and a transvestite will wear any shoes unless they like one particular style , transvestites will wear makeup unless they happen to not have any on whereas cross dressers will not wear makeup unless they happen to have some on , so the difference is really quite simple and straight forward which i must admit surprised me
    Got it, I think! Just one question, I prefer bare legs. How do I stand in that situation?

Rachael
    Rachel,

Got it, I think! Just one question, I prefer bare legs. How do I stand in that situation?

Rachael
    That`s OK just go ahead and complicate things
    ( just looked it up and it said that bare legs means there could be a good possibility that you are transgender unless you wear a bra to match your panties then you become a TV but if you wear your panties to match your bra then you will be CD )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne