Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do people react to you on the street?

When you go out, how do people react?

I replied to a post today, and it got me thinking, so I'd like to open it up for discussion. When you go out, how do people react to you? I mean total strangers, general folks in malls, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

A. NO REACTION: people don't give you a second look, either because they think you are a GG, or because they don't care.

B. COURTESY: people may spot you as a T-girl, but they still treat you well, according to your presentation.

C. TOLERANCE: people see a man in a dress, you get a few odd stares, there may be discomfort in the air, but most are still ok.

D. REJECTION: people are plain rude and discriminatory to you because of your presentation.

There's no right or wrong answer. This is not intended to measure anyone's ability to pass. I'm more interested in gauging society's most frequent reactions towards us when we go out en femme. In my limited experience, I've seen reactions A and B.

What's your story? Please share!

Life is just beginning... Eve_WA's Avatar
    Mostly A with a little B and C mixed in. Only had one D, and he was assuredly an 'F'... LOL

B for me

Mostly A's & B's. At my workplace I am one of the girls so mostly A's. On the street to and from the office or shopping or generally out in public A's & B's.
    Have never been confronted or had any issues.

[SIZE="3"]I like to think A&B but, I know there are a lot of C's also. I have not run into a D yet.[/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Mostly A, sometimes B. Very rarely C, and so far never D. (fingers crossed)

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I would say A&B.
    I haven't had any problems yet and I have gone out in public a few times.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

[SIZE="4"]A, B and C for me. I did have a D reaction many years ago but he was just a jerk.

BTW gabimartini I love your avatar!!!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Mostly a, mainly since I think I go where people are too busy to notice, when I do get noticed mostly b but some c, I have had only a couple rude (d)comments in about 3 yrs of being out dressed

A or B is typical; most people tend not to notice or care unless you do something to draw attention to yourself. C, not so often. D? At least one person feels a need to say or do something indicating how small-minded they are.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Ha, funny you should mention this, Gabi. Yesterday there was a CD shopping where I work, who was wearing a sheer swimsuit cover-up and a thong with her butt hanging out. You guessed it, she got the "D" treatment, same as a GG would if wearing the same thing to go shopping. (I didn't see her, but heard about her.) If she had dressed with a little bit of class I imagine she would have gotten an A or B. It sort of embarrassed me because she's making CDs look bad, and people will remember her.

A and B sometimeds. Doors opened and that sort of thing...BJ

I would say A (no reaction) when I am just walking through a mall or shopping. I would like to say A when interacting with others, but I know it's really B (courtesy) probably because of my voice (which I try to femme up).
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

A, B, C and D... Most people don't care. A few have have given me a second look.. Had a few whistles.. Cat calls... A few have smiled. I've had a few creepy guys follow me down the street.. I didn't hange around their long. Then their was this boy at Wendys.. Who's jaw hit the floor when I drove up to the window enfemme. As I drove away I heard him yelling. "Roy... Roy.. You got to see this!!" I was laughing so hard the diet coke came out my nose... Messed up my makeup! Lol. Probably ruined him for life!! .
    Last edited by Karren H; 04-26-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Gabi,

I have had A through C and also E (which you did not list). I have been treated with everything from barely concealed amusement to grudging acceptance to full-on rockstar status. It depends on the person and where they are in their life and on your attitude as well. I think Sue said once when she was out with me, watching people and I interact, something along the lines of, "I used to think that acceptance was 5% you and 95% the other person's doing, but watching Kathi interact with them makes me think it's the other way around."

When I go out, I kind of "steamroll" them with kindness, humor and "a perception of normality." Basically, I don't give them time to realize that I'm the least bit odd.

So, people have treated me pretty nicely. Self-fulfilling prophesy? Perhaps. I go into a store expecting to have fun and an excellent shopping experience. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

Kathi

somewhere between B and C
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I don't get out often but when I have been out I've gotten pretty much the full range of responses but mostly it's "A", people don't pay attention. Those that do may shrug their shoulders and think quietly how happy they are they aren't related to me. I've seen a couple of responses that show I've brought joy to someone's life, or was that giggle for something else? The only real "D" response was from a drunk 20-something man with a group of buddies and they kept him in check so it was over in just a few seconds and the group I was with just kept moving along.

The best are those responses that Kathi added to the list. I was with a group in Las Vegas and we were taking group photos and had one woman just jump in with us. She was very interested and wanted to learn more about us. It was a high point in the trip. I have her business card and when I have approval from the others in the photo, I'll send it along to her.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

In the movies, you know that look people have as the aliens come out of the ground, right before the crowd of people go screaming down the street? Well, I haven't had that yet.... but wait, there's always a first for everything.
    I would venture I come up against a strong tie between B & C. But there raises the question....
    Did the people actually react that way or is that the way I perceived them to act? I always hope they are thinking A ( the GG part), but don't have the security to think so.
    I've had people I have been with whisper " hey, he's checkin' you out" and when I look, I see someone clocking me as a dude in a dress and thinks I look ridiculous.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    I haven't been out yet, but reading this thread gives me small boost in confidence.

Mostly, no notice, but I've had a few teenage GGs react with a D. Willow

When you go out, how do people react?

its A FOR ME

To my knowledge, A. If someone has perceived me as a "T-girl", I have not known about it.
    Hugs, Carole

So far so good, all A's, there may have been B's but neither Sheila or I have noticed them

I would say A and B. Usually I hit up the local gay bar with my cousin and his boyfriend (who is a big muscular black guy) so no one really gives us any trash.
    [SIZE="3"]Kisses,
    Priscillia
    [/SIZE]

Dancing in the moonlight Midnight Skye's Avatar
    A and B are usually what happens for me. I've only had one "bad" reaction which resulted in a man laughing at me... but that's doesn't ruin my day
    Have fun and enjoy life.
    Skye