Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do people react to you on the street?

Mostly B but also A & C
    Michelle

gotta say its b,and c for me,but some times i never get spotted.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

A 70% (likey the "don't care" part)
    B 25%
    C 5%
    D Still pending...

The journey has begun.... Regina's Avatar
    So far this year it has been an "A". Last spring I thought I had my first "F" at the gas station, I was gassing up the SUV when a truck driver got out of his rig several spaces over and started looking in my direction, he ended up about 30 feet in front of the car looking at me....I started to get a little nervous..so I looked right back at him..he did nothing...so I'm thinking, this guy has glasses as thick as coke bottles,he couldn't possibly see me this well.

Stupid me!...got in the car and left and on my way out noticed that there was roofers on the canopy above, he was checking the work out not me...just another paranoia attack.

Regina

Always D,where I live there is extreme intollerance towards anyone who is different.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

There were two people checking me out, so that would be double Ds?

For the record, I get mostly A/B with a very few Cs... only 1 D but it only lasted a few seconds as he shouted insults from a passing car.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Schatten Lupus View Post
    I haven't been out yet, but reading this thread gives me small boost in confidence.
    That's exactly the point! Most often we will get no reaction. Sometimes, we may get a surveying second look, which will most probably stop there, whether people clock us or not!

BTW, thanks to those who have replied so far!
    Last edited by gabimartini; 04-26-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Editing text for clarity

I would say that it is" A "most of the time and" B "the rest .

Today was my first time out in daylight!
    Drove to the shopping mall wher the reaction was all A.
    In fact, I even ended up buying a new outfit as the shop assistant could not have been more friendly and helpful, B.
    No C or D as yet, but it was first thing at the mall, no groups of drunken males to contend with. I got a few looks, but most people were too busy to notice, those that did made nothing of it that I could detect.

Katie

[SIZE=2]To my knowledge, it's straight A's for me......Just like my grades in college.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]except for the one time had a B incident when a fellow 24/7 TS sister recognized me in a store......oh well....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]My story, is that I live 24/7, so maybe that makes it a little easier by having lots of experience dealing with the public...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

A's for the most part when I'm by myself minding my own business, occasionally when I go out with a group of "girls" who are a little more outgoing and in-your-face in public it gets more interesting...of course when I started out I got a lot of C's and D's but I worked very hard to bring up my grades, like a good girl

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    In past years, when I went out as a female the reactions were either A or B. Now that I go out as a male wearing feminine clothing it is either A, B, or C, mostly B and C. Jinxing myself again, but have never had a D or worse!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

About half of the people laugh out loud, and the other half run away fast

A's as far as I can tell. I usually can't detect any reaction on the street. But I've had a one glance in the parking structure at the Beverly Center. I had been studying a woman's very nicely put together look, and she decided to pay attention to me, resulting in a nice (but knowing) smile.

I think folks are more attentive to others in a big bad dark parking structure than they are on the street.

I'm not too big (5'8" and slender), and that helps a lot with the all important first glance impression. Of course, when they get a good look at my face, all bets are off!
    Last edited by dilane; 04-26-2010 at 03:59 PM.

A's or B's for me mostly, possibly a C thrown in but I've not really noticed it. I don't recall ever having a bad response from anyone, especially since i started transitioning and living full time.
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

A, B and C for the most part!

A, B, & sometimes C.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

well, since I don't try to pass I'm usually wearing fem clothes presenting male...needless to say I stay away from skirts/dresses. I don't remember anything less than an "A" but once. It was a B- I'll call it. My fault too... I had a job to do on a new construction site and I wasn't thinking about what I wore that day...black skort with white tank top and white sandals. Got a few looooooong looks...

Jenn

Now mostly A, sometimes B (hard to tell sometimes). Before I had a make-over, learned to apply makeup much better and did not have down the femme voice I have now, I got something between C and D from teens working at a movie theater. The ticket guy called others staffers to "come see" me as I entered the lobby. Then later, a curious staffer that had missed me in the lobby came into the theater while the movie was on, searched the audience in the dark, stood at the end of my aisle,then peered and gawked at me. *That* was awkward. It taught me I could take being read and being treated like a sideshow (rudely) in a stride.

A, B & C....it also depends on how you dress. wearing pants will definitely put you in the category of A. If you dress provocatively, people will want to look, that's just human nature. If you dress elegantly and do it well, you get smiles.
    Making face-to-face eye contact from 4 feet away in a location where people are forced to acknowledge you is where it gets interesting. People feel they must respond somehow, some ignore, others take a double take. I've gotten enough positive & neutral responses that a dirty look from someone means nothing to me.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 04-26-2010 at 07:44 PM.

"A"
    but as there is no apparent response I cant say if its just acceptance/tolerance or no one notices.
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

I would go with mostly A when I'm out. Course that may be because I'm moving so fast. My outings other than clubbing involve mostly going to mall's bookstores, and shopping in Ferndale( Which is a one of the most relaxed cities to hang out in). When I slow down enough to buy something or talk to folks between A and B's with a little minor celebrity staus at certain places. I have never been treated rude, may have made a couple folks nervous. Have had a few folks chat me up the occasional compliment, or being checked out look etc. All in all positive experiences.

Thus far I've gotten both A & B. Today, I purchased a wig with the help from a friend and it's been all A so far! I'll write about it later

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    I think Sue said once when she was out with me, watching people and I interact, something along the lines of, "I used to think that acceptance was 5% you and 95% the other person's doing, but watching Kathi interact with them makes me think it's the other way around."
    Amen. If you see the right attitude at work, you learn the right attitude will work.

In my limited experience (I really need to get out more), I would say B. There might have been some A, but I was ignoring them as much as they were ignoring me. I only noticed the B's.

"A"

Like many others have said, I don't know if its "Don't care" or "don't notice." And I don't really care which it is.

The result is the same, I get to live my life the way I want without being mistreated. Who could ask for anything more?
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!

Senior Junior Member Lisa Renee's Avatar
    I would have to say A, could be B, but not really aware of any. I believe most people see what they expect to see when looking at others. So if you are presenting as female, that is what they see.
    Lisa Renee