Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of drag queen acts?

Well I have not been to a show in years, but back in the old days when Phinocchio's was a big tourist trap in San Francisco, I loved to go there, the shows where great, the Gal running the show was a little over the top, but most of the acts where singers well dressed, beautiful women, and playing it as straight as any female singer anywhere else. The tour busses use to line up out front, so the joint was always packed. It was fun because so many of the tourist always had a hard time believing they where really men.
    I was saddened when they closed their doors, not sure if the rest are as good, but they where.
    Tina B

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I find some to be distasteful and over the top! However---

---were I younger;

I'm PRETTY SURE Sherry would insist we try to BECOME ONE!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

First FI show I ever saw

How many remember the 82 Club in NY? My first trip to NY I saw that show AND went to Michael Salem's place to make a first time purchase from a pro CDer. After I moved to California I practically lived at the Queen Mary in Studio City. I got to be good friends with the owner and did some electrical work for him and of course befriended the bartender. (saved a LOT on drinks)

The QM had a very diverse crowd and many CDs came there as a safe place. There were very few DQs in the show aside from the host, Butch. He was OTT but was always a hoot. The cast were all female impersonators and a few lived the TG life. The girls looked so good, that the QM and its cast were frequently used in TV shows and movies. The stars of the show were usually drop dead gorgeous and looked totally real. (yes there were a few silicone quuens with the bee stung lips and cheeks)

Hollywood celebs visited all the time to let their hair down and just have fun. Years ago, one of the impersonators doing Diana Ross was an absolute dead ringer for her. DR's staff approached the FI to be in the DR show in Vegas. Another was in the movie "Birdcage" as a Goldman Girl. Another was on numerous TV shows and in several movies.

I agree with other posters that CDs are lumped in with DQs as the vanilla public does not know or understand the difference and does not seem to anxious to learn. Then add in the predeliction of Hollywood to use CDing as an indicator of a criminal or pathological disease i.e. Psycho.

All in all it makes it rough on the garden variety of CD or TG.

Aspiring Member

RuPaul's Drag Race

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Never seen an ACT. But I saw part of the Ru Paul television show, "Drag Race".

I thought it was just a little grotesque. And it certainly doesn't seem to be an easy way to earn a living.

Stephie
    I agree with Stephanie, They're not my cup of tea!!!

Danielle

[SIZE="2"]Myself, I love drag shows. They're fun, entertaining, and everyone seems to have a good time. A great atmosphere, generally. Also a good excuse (like I need one) to get dressed to the nines, put a little more emphasis on the 'night' make-up (which I love to do!) and still remain a more-or-less mainstream part of the crowd.

Have met some of the performers, and some are very supportive, friendly and fun people to meet. Some take the 'diva' role a little too seriously, and it's kind of fun to interact with another level of CD'ing. (Yes, all DQ's are crossdressers, but not all crossdressers are DQ's) And to get dressed uber-sexy, and get paid for it? Where do I sign?
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Billie1; 05-01-2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: grammar accident
    I learned the laws of physics by watching Road Runner cartoons.

Do you have that, in a tall?

fierce glamazon
    I LOVE drag queens <3 <3 <3!

In addition to cross dressing, I also do drag every once in a while.

Its like any other art form.. I just love them!
    Last edited by Nigella; 05-01-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Not relevant to the post, please add to your signature
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Well, IMHO, it is really just an art form and a means of self expression. I really don't have anything against the true drag performer, and have seen several who were quite entertaining. On the other hand, I truly enjoy a good female impersonator. Just watching Charles Busch in one of his unbelievable movies, I never had the opportunity to see him live on stage, is really a treat for me. Likewise, I was really moved when I watched Lee Pace in Soldier's Girl. It was a hard movie to watch, but Lee's performance as Calpernia Addams took my breath away.

They are extremeists in thier own right but I have to admit they are something to watch and I have plans on seeing a drag show after dinner tonight. Not my usual cup of tea but I'm taking a new girl (CD) out tonight along with a couple of my GG friends.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Banned Read only
    I've been to several drag shows and they are a lot of fun. It's a fine line to be fun and outrageous without being silly and some have really mastered how to do that. I highly recommend it!!

I love Drag Queens! I've been to La Cage. Great show. But I too want society to see that CDers are usually different.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    I think most of the good ones are very entertaining! But, unfortunately they do somewhat belittle those of us who crossdress simply because we like to. That aspect of Drag Queens I do not like! I have no desire to be a woman, just to wear their clothes. So I would never want to be a Drag Queen!
    Actually most drag queens are like you--they have no desire to be a women--and are not transexual--and like the girls above I do admire their look
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

They're fine, and I go see a drag show every few years with friends, and have met a few of the performers. But, I don't feel I have much in common with them, at all.
    -Sedona

sunny with a high of 75!
    I have much respect for the ones that do their own singing. Getting pretty and lip syncing? not so much

To be honest I don't really see the attraction of female impersonators as entertainment. Kind of like Guitar Hero vs playing the actual instrument- one is a toy and the other is rewarding.

Now the CDer who developes her own stage persona and act- that's something I want to see.

I love drag queens. Love to talk shop with them, get makeup tips, etc. Also respect the fact that the queens were some of the first that pushed for the rights of gays as well as some ways transgendered people in the United States. Alos I think the drag queens are one of the reasons that I as a CD is welcome in the gay/lesbian clubs that I frequent. They are entertainers- I dont think they demean either females or transgendered folk. I think where some have problems is that many are gay, and so many crossdressers are concerned that others will see them as gay. Well guess what IMHO you put on a wig dress, makeup etc dress looking like a female and many folks will assume you are gay. Its really not a giant leap.

Smile

I love drag queens, they are very fun to watch. My problem til very recently was I thought crossdresses and drag queen were the same. Thank God for my crossdressing boyfriend I have come into the light!!!!!!!! lol

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    ---were I younger;

I'm PRETTY SURE Sherry would insist we try to BECOME ONE!
    Does that Sherry always lead you around by the short hairs?

Now for me, I don't have the least in common with a drag queen. I do respect them though.

They are entertaining for sure.

They do have a good place in the TG world (Though they are not TG per se) cause think about it, they do give some exposure to the general public of "men in dresses" which seems to be how most people see any brand of TG.
    Often when I get into chats (with GG's at least) about the TG life, they quickly bring up something about "drag race" or "Tu wong fu". Not exactly what we CD/TS are about but if it helps the public understand us on any level, great.

And yes, they are getting paid for it, though I have talked to some who say that while they can make decent money at a show, a lot of the funds go right back into their outfits/accessories.

Most of all, am I not the one who always says one should live as they need to be happy?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne66 View Post
    A friend-of-a-friend of mine is a drag queen, AND transgendered and transitioning. It's not impossible.
    I agree with Anne, I have a friend who is transitioning and does shows. Her day job is working for a major cosmetic company as a sales rep. and she does makeovers too!

Those of us who remember Finnochio's in San Franciso's north beach. They had great shows, and none of the performers lip-synced to sing. They all looked fabulous too! Wish they were still around.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I have seen some fabulous Drag Acts.Funny Girls at Blackpool (uk) is an amazing night out with Incredible Performances.Hey If we got paid for Dressing up what could be better
    But alas,and through no fault of their own,Drag Queen is used in a derogatory
    way,by the cerebrally challenged of Society unfortunately
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Smile

never been to a drag show, maybe one day???

getting paid to dress up could be a "drag" in and of it's self. (yes a pun on words)

I think it is entertainment, plain and simple. Much the same as going to a movie. If someone is talented enough to be able to make a living, more power to them.
    NOT your girl next door!

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer
    I agree with other posters that CDs are lumped in with DQs as the vanilla public does not know or understand the difference and does not seem to anxious to learn. Then add in the predeliction of Hollywood to use CDing as an indicator of a criminal or pathological disease i.e. Psycho.
    [SIZE="2"]There is a huge difference between crossdressing, as we highly closeted types experience it, and drag queen acts that deal with exaggeration for attention. There are all types of crossdressers, and there are all types of female impersonators, so please don’t get upset reading the comparisons I’m about to make – these are for entertainment purposes only. My personal crossdressing is done in isolation, to please myself only, and “passing” in public is simply the result of not being noticed. For purposes of comparison, I will use the drag queen act in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert as my example for female impersonation. Here goes:

For me, crossdressing is to a drag queen act just like:

1. A whisper is to a scream…
    2. A cup of tea, enjoyed alone, is to a noisy party…
    3. A haiku is to a pop-up book, decorated with flocking…
    4. A small, intimate painting (like a Vermeer) is to freight train graffiti…
    5. A water biscuit is to an “Ace of Cakes” concoction…
    6. A caress is to a slap on the back…
    7. A gentle hug is to a body slam…
    8. The game of cricket is to Ultimate Cage Fighting…
    9. A note is to a manifesto…
    10. Shyness is to extroversion…
    11. Reality is to a TV reality show…
    12. Glenn Gould, playing the piano, is to a Motley Crüe concert…
    13. The film My Dinner With Andre is to Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
    14. A sip of Cointreau (neat) is to a keg…
    15. A tasteful dress is to a costume…
    16. A smile is to a forced smile…
    17. A thimble is to a sledgehammer…
    18. Muted colors are to bright (or even fluorescent) colors…
    19. Ballet slippers are to platform shoes…
    20. A waltz is to a rave…
    21. “Nothing Compares 2 U” is to “It’s Raining Men!”

And so on… I’m sure many of you will disagree, but I’m just trying to show how different crossdressing and drag acts CAN be. Many months ago I pointed out the difference between CD and drag by using the film The Birdcage as an example. In the film, Nathan Lane dresses up (rather tastefully) to pass as the boy’s mother – this is true crossdressing, even though he (she) was a drag queen by profession. Later in the film, Gene Hackman dresses IN DRAG to escape an embarrassing situation – he (she) doesn’t pass at all, even though the imposture is elaborate and funny, the whole purpose of drag. Can you see the difference? [/SIZE]

Sometimes they are quite funny I like them in general.

Gold Member
    Well, I think they can be very theatrical and entertaining, and fun to watch........on occasion, but not too often, tho I must say, some really do know how to present themselves.

I'm personally not much for flamboyance, but that's only my opinion and a reflection of my own personal taste. As for what I think of DQs: Not mine to judge, especially since we can get plenty of that without asking. The Golden Rule applies.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]