Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of drag queen acts?

Honestly? I don't like most of 'em. I have an intense dislike of lip syncing and that is what the vast majority of drag shows are. For the most part, I dislike the overly flamboyant, probably for much the same reason that African Americans aren't fond of black face - it's a caricature or what we are.
    Now the very few drag artists that actually sing, or do comedy, I'm all for that . . .

Just too much. I'm really not interested in seeing drag queens lip sync to popular songs. I remember me and a friend (when I would go out in drab) used to go to the gay club in my hometown and we would hate it when there was a drag show because they would perform on the dancefloor. And it took time away from that. Ive even been asked by several people, while CDing, if I perform or would want to. I always said no and i'm not interested, but entertained the conversation and talked about it.

Not a fan. It's never real femininity. It's like an exaggerated joke of it. They are part of why we're not taken seriously (with Springer and Maury being worse, of course), and the first people think of when the word "crossdressing" or anything trans comes to people's minds.

Additionally, I simply don't "get" their motivation, one damn bit, since they're not really making a true effort to look like a REAL woman - overdrawn eyebrows, overdone makeup, hair completely over the top, ball gowns, etc - women just don't dress like that. So, why do they do it?

And, I am quite aware that a handful of girls transition while performing, but everyone's got to start somewhere.
    Last edited by Sophie_C; 06-18-2010 at 02:11 AM.

I believe drag queens make a mockery of cross dressing and transgenderism .On that note I am starting singing lessons on Tuesday to try and get a good technique to try and make my voice more femme ,I believe this would help me in my transition to be a more convincing woman. I am looking forward to it and the singing may come in handy with earning extra cash.

Far too over the top for me. I want to be quietly feminine, enjoying the feeling of being dressed, without all the burlesque drag image that damages what most of us girls want to be.

Banned Read only
    Who you saying's acting?

Banned Read only
    I love a good DQ show. They are entertainment and just like a stand up comedian pokes fun at our everyday lives DQ's poke fun at being different.

If you can't Laugh at Yourself, Your missing the best Jokes

never been to a show, have thought about going to one...but just never have.

I don't care for the act - the on-stage behavior - but I love the over-the-top look, the extravagant makeup. There's a time and place for it, though. Not for wearing to the mall.

There used to be ocaisional female impersonators on those TV variety shows in the sixties. I don't know if that's exactly the same thing as a drag queen or not. There was something very encouraging about seeing these female impersonators. Back in like 1963 that was one of the very few LGBT and TG/TS/CD entetainment things that they ever had on TV and they didn't have them often anyway.

I agree with most of the negative reactions here. I find drag shows silly and boring at best, grating at worst. As for the DQs themselves, I don't like the stereotype that most seem compelled to adhere to, waaayy too brash. I've met a couple who are down-to-earth and real folks, but most just make me want to put some distance between me and them, on several levels. Which is kinda funny, cuz I think many of them are rather haughty towards "mere" xdressers, assuming we all worship them and wanna be just like 'em. Uh, no.

But I defend their right to be who they are and do what they do. Just don't buy me any tickets.

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar

I was a drag queen

[SIZE="3"]Yes, and I'm a GG!

Years ago, being involved in much of the theater district in NYC, I've met my fair share of drag queens and I think we need some clarification!

Here's a link to give a bit of history on the subject.

My "career" as a drag queen started when I was a dancer and working at a DJ company. Several of my friends there were also DQs and loved my rather...umm... unique sense of humor. I loved it and still long to be on the stage in drag.

Now, not ALL DQ are gay men and it didn't originate in that manner (check out the link above for the details). It was merely men only allowed on the stage previously so they played women. This art form of playing a female came with a lot of prestige for those that could do it well and they were the most sought after actors of the time. Later on, it became the art of illusion and being able to "fool" the audience. Sort of like a magic show, so to speak.

Now a days, the smaller venues show more TG people than the drag queens most of you are referring to and therefore its just regular people (as in not actors, singers or dancers) trying to live out a dream of being in the spotlight as a female entertainer. This is where a lot of lip syncing comes in.

The higher end shows usually feature the more widely accepted version of a drag queen (a gay man impersonating a woman) and its more of a risque version of broadway. And that's suppose to be the point. They WANT to be over the top. They are usually portraying over the top characters (who mind you are usually GGs) like Joan Crawford, Liza Minnelli, Cher, Madonna, etc. The younger generation is taking on characters like Britney Spears, Pink and a few other "outrageous" entertainers.

The shows aren't for everyone and they are suppose to be a form of art. But like in any other field of art or entertainment, anyone can try it and convince themselves they are good at it even when everyone else disagrees.

Oh, and most of the DQ's I've ever met don't have any issues with CDers or TG people. Most of them can understand the desire to be feminine because they too enjoy that aspect of their performance, they just don't feel like extending it beyond the stage usually.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I love the drag acts that are creative in song choice, costuming (over the top and unique) and performing. The more thought out and unexpected x-rated comedic actions or language would totally break me into all out laughing episodes. I do like the overexaggeration of mannerisms of celebrities that some love impersonating. I really do adore those that draw up their own character personas and stick to it. A well choreographed show and/or group number is what I really prefer though.
    I don't like drag acts that the performer does the same old dance moves, same old look, and same genre of music everytime on stage. In Winnipeg there were so many younger performers that would race around on the stage to the popular dance songs. Eventhough they were pleasant to the eyes (sexy and very feminine in appearance), I just couldn't stand their performances.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    This thread reminds me There's a Car advert here in the U.K. featuring Drag Queen queuing up to get into a nightclub.when car rolls up with young guys in it,the driver shouts to the DQ "Oi Dad can you get us in" now I know its not much,and would have been better with a CDer,But on British Television thats the first time iv'e seen anything done in a positive light regarding TGs instead of showing hairy big guys in flowery dresses. so they used Drag Queens not Ideal.but its a small step forward IMO
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

What do you think of drag queen acts?
    I don't have a problem with a drag queen act, as long as it's just that....an act, like with Dame Edna which I find highly talented and amusing.

As for rest... don't go there with me...sigh

I am impressed by many of them, and there are some who are beautiful and extraordinarily talented. I haven't really seen many, but those that I have seen make me wishful and a little jealous that I would like to look so beautiful.
    warmly, Linnea

Aspiring Member
    While I am not a fan of the campy style of drag most common in gay clubs, I do admire their attitude and confidence. It is from the Queens that I learned to never let others throw their unsecurities on you and of course to be "FIERCE".

Recently I have been fascinated by the Japaneese singer Kaya:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYvmJIjInww

He has a wonderful voice and performs in women's costumes, usually if victorian dresses. I find that he is very feminine and dignified while not denying that he is a male.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

I find myself agreeing with both the positive and negative comments on this thread. For me, though, I owe that entertainment genre a debt of gratitude. For most of my youth and young adult life I didn't know that anyone else dressed in women's clothing, not to mention looking good while they were doing it. When I attended my first drag show in San Francisco, I remember thinking that maybe I wasn't defective after all. So, on that basis, I have some gratitude toward that art form.

Quote Originally Posted by CapHill Kelly View Post
    While I am not a fan of the campy style of drag most common in gay clubs, I do admire their attitude and confidence. It is from the Queens that I learned to never let others throw their unsecurities on you and of course to be "FIERCE".

Recently I have been fascinated by the Japaneese singer Kaya:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYvmJIjInww

He has a wonderful voice and performs in women's costumes, usually if victorian dresses. I find that he is very feminine and dignified while not denying that he is a male.
    I really don't think that's drag. It's like a specific subtype of cosplay. Just FYI...

I think that they demean crossdressers and transsexuals - they appear to be making fun of us and I do not like being made fun of because I am Transgendered.

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Back in 1985, I started going to The Baton in Chicago, and they had a great show back then. The Baton performers back then were a mixed bag, many considered themselves pre-op TS's, but there were a few traditional drag queens too. I became a regular there and I got to know a few of the people who worked there, nice folks generally, but many of them lived hard lives. Some of them have since died violent deaths, some of them fell victim to drug addiction too, and then there's AIDS. But I mainly remember their good side, and they sure were a fun bunch.

And at least one of my Baton friends has gone on to be quite the actress, Alexandra Billings, who went by the stage name of Shante back then.

So I have mainly respect and affection toward DQ's, they're generally really strong, amazing people, living sometimes difficult lives the best they can, same as everyone else. I would urge those here who have never had the opportunity to actually know some drag queens to maybe curb your tendency to talk trash about them, as I never heard them talk trash about CD's.

All of us were welcome at the Baton.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 06-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    My name is Carol.

I'm not really a fan to be honest. It's not their fault but most uneducated people think drag queens and CDers are the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Honestly? I don't like most of 'em. I have an intense dislike of lip syncing and that is what the vast majority of drag shows are. For the most part, I dislike the overly flamboyant, probably for much the same reason that African Americans aren't fond of black face - it's a caricature or what we are.
    Now the very few drag artists that actually sing, or do comedy, I'm all for that . . .
    Exactly what Kimberly said. (saves me a lot of typing!)

Im not a fan... They are too animated for me

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    What you're saying makes sense, but I'd differ about them being a caricature of us, more accurate to say they're a caricature of females, and keep in mind that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I think it's safe to say that there are PLENTY of CD's who are also a caricature of females, maybe most of us, and CD's often choose the ****tiest females to emulate in dress and manner, so let's not go there, as many CD's are at least as bad in that department.

Just plain lip-syncing is pretty boring, agreed, but the best FI/DQ performers also have amazing dance routines that definitely take a lot of talent to pull off, not to mention having great outfits and great makeup/hair.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 06-20-2010 at 02:24 PM.
    My name is Carol.