Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is with you crossdressers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    My own personal view is that I don't like it because it sounds condescending.

<snip>

..... although, granted, it does depend on the context of how it's said
    Exactly! I only call people names like that if I really like them. Or if I'm being sarcastic or something.

...It creeps me out too when old men call people hun.

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar
    Well hun, it's better than another shortening of the term - "ho". Or was that "ho hum".

I never used the term while I was CD, but now I am FT, I am finding myself using the terms hun, darl, sweetie, biatch, buddy....... a lot. I am having an awful time remembering names and I would like to keep the relationships with the people I know on a more initmate level than, "excuse me but I don't remember your name" especially when it's my sister or cousin.

Pleasant days to you

Portia
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

It used to bother me. I had a coworker who was younger than me and she called me hun but she called others that too. I have been called that numerous times by waitresses both younger and older than me. I think it is like a disease and it is spreading. I have even begun to drop it into my vocabulary.

You better stay out of the south, Karen, Hon

Unhappy Oh My Goodness

Not a big problem with hon or hun. What really bad to me is when I'm called "babe" or "baby" This is to me just demeaning to us girls, said by anyone.

Hun (Hon) is a Baltimore thing. I hear women say it in various parts of the city, notably the eastern potion

Account is closed
    I call my friend skirts, is that better?
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

I would much rather be called "hun" rather than "sir".
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I never use "hon" but plead guilty to saying "sweetie" alot in girl mode.

Whenever dealing with unknown females such as in a retail situation I almost always refer to that person as "dear". Never had a negative reaction. Besides it beats calling them 'hey you". Got that hun! Oh! I almost forgot, I carry my bag on my right shoulder.

Personally any girl over here (Ireland) who lives in a village/town seems to use especially alot of the shopkeepers.

I grew up in an age when there was less sensitivity to many parts of the language that now can only be used with caution. Hon doesn't bother me. It's much better than what I got called in Air Force basic training.

Young Senior Citizen Elsa Larson's Avatar
    I hear "hon" a lot while in guy mode.

Maybe because I look a bit like Santa or a kindly grandfather.
    What's between your legs and what you like to do with it is your business, not mine. Please give me the same courtesy.
    Everyone who refers to sexuality as a preference reveals their own bisexuality.
    I hope to live long enough to see a time when one's sexuality or gender identity is no more important than one's religion or politics.
    DO link up with your local support group. It's an easy way to meet similar people, help others, educate the public and be part of the political process.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tallelsa/

Gold Member
    Got me, but hey hun why can't your hockey team stick with one logo?

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton
    Why do so many crossdressers call people "hun".. Or "hon".... its totally annoying to me... AND real women don't call other people "hon"..
    [SIZE="2"]Let’s see…

I’ve been called ”hun” only once around here, so far. It’s kind of a “flat” comment that has no love in it, as far as I’m concerned. I felt strangely…old…when I first heard it…

I like to call other members “dear,” or “darling,” but it all depends what the context is. I try to come across as endearing to my friends, since that is how I sincerely feel – you have to get to know me first, though. It’s better to be affectionate among my “fellow” crossdressers, but things don’t always work out that way, so I tailor my language to fit each situation. But, I would never call anyone “hun,” simply because of the Golden Rule – if the word put me off, it will most likely put you off, too, which is not my ultimate intention on this site (believe me!)… [/SIZE]

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    The word "Hon" or more recent "Hun" is generally used because the person speaking does not know the real name of the person they are speaking to. And I think most people would agree that it is nicer than than saying Hey you, or what's up, or something like that. I do think it is more prevalent in the South than elsewhere. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and rarely ever heard it used until we moved to the Atlanta, GA area in 1983. I get called that all the time in restaurants and some other places. The places where Stephanie shops mostly have SA's who know Stephanie and call me by that name! But as long as people talk to me, they can call me almost anything they want! Especially when it is time to eat!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Yo bub! Hey you! Mac! doesn't someone have their panties in a bind!

Yes, those are alot better then "Old fart, senior citizen, old dude"
    NOT your girl next door!

For years, I have been reading about the lifestyle of the infamous Karren Hutton. The same person who has tried more kinds of makeup than shopping mall full of teenage girls; who is a regular on numerous forums including a makeup forum; who uses a stall in the office men's rooms for changing into "Uber Woman" and then takes pictures; who uses sandpaper to smooth her legs and suggests that we all try a belt sander.

I was beginning to worry if Karren Hutton had no boundaries. At last, the CD world has received news of her limitations. Thank goodness for small insights. She might have done something a little crazy if one of us accidentally called her the "H" word. Don't worry sugar, no one here will ever call you hon again.

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Karen, is it just "hun", or is it also "sweetie", "dear", "love", etc?

I might get blasted for bringing this up, but I wonder if it is irksome for you because it seems like an affectation .. a way some members like to emphasize their femininity? It does seem overly-emphasized because in RL few women use these terms with people they do not know. Some do, but just looking at the GG posts in this forum for example, most don't. It sounds condescending to me as well, unless it comes from someone I know well and it is heartfelt.

I'm almost afraid to say this, but the only other place I hear these terms used excessively is within the gay community. It's almost as if there is an attempt to be familiar in order to achieve a group cohesion.
    Last edited by ReineD; 05-02-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post
    I was beginning to worry if Karren Hutton had no boundaries. At last, the CD world has received news of her limitations. Thank goodness for small insights. She might have done something a little crazy if one of us accidentally called her the "H" word. Don't worry sugar, no one here will ever call you hon again.

Babette
    Ohh yeah. I still have no limitations!! (Please don't tell my wife I said that). Not doing things you want to is limiting yourself. Not doing things you don't want to do is just being a smart.. Cookie, Babe.. Cutie pie.. Sweetie... Me I'm just a smart... Ass most of the time.. Just ask my mother-in-law.. "With a little paint and wall paper that storage unit looks a lot like an assisted living facility.. $65 a month vs $5 000!!". She almost bought it.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Actually "Hon" is quite common in Baltimore...
    I'm wearing a skirt?

Chewies sister-moulted!
    Perhaps "Oi" is the worst thing anyone can be called .... either gender !

Hi ..

Well i spos its time for the kiwi to say,
    get a grip ,,,,MATE...or else . he he ,,,,,,us lot over here in the deep south & oz e is a part as well, use that term a lot so if you are a part of the group or work mates its common for us wether your male or female.
    For many of us the other terms are used as well as youv said,
    its manly the older ones who use those words & for us it means , hey your wellcome ,
    I see most of you who have replyed are from the u s . i see one from the u k .
    You all so have to understand our own way of expressing our selfs will be different as well, & many of our word meanings are different too. for me i have no problem at all . come over here & you may just like it , or you may think they or we are different .
    Any way Karran , & dare i say it. see ya ....mate....

...noeleena,,,

Terms of Endearment

I don't know why I use certain terms ... perhaps I make the mistake that certain words are more fem than others. Words like hun, sweetie, darling etc.

I'm guilty of using sweetie and your right hun sounds like the waitress at the truck stop.

For Karen since you are a Penguins fan .... hun and sweetie do seem inappropriate .... I was once a hockey player myself ... where else could I get away with wearing a garter in a locker room .

Karen ... On an unrelated note ... HBO is showing a film about the Philly Flyers from 1974 / 1975 on Tuesday May 4 (I believe). You might remember the bullies of Philly.

If you are interested I thought you might want to see it.

Hugs - Maggie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maggie
    Let Yourself Be Free
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Well, You know Like - I Totally agree with you Shugg