Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What is with you crossdressers?

karren, i think that is the way some things have to be HON!!!

The avvy pic isn't me
    Like if you some how bumped into Sidney Crosby while out and he called you hun, you wouldn't like it? uh huh, rriigghhtttt!

Quote Originally Posted by JOJO44 View Post
    Really now, I mean "you all"

Sounds more like a 'suuuutherrrrrnnn' gal to me!
    [SIZE=2]Thanks Hun, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I do love the South,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Sometimes I wonder if I should of been the daughter of very wealthy Southern family....But think everything got screwed up somehow.....lol[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

So What

Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe I'm too country, or maybe it's the way I was raised-don't know, don't care. I've called waitresses, co-workers, salespeople, friends, and customers "hon" darlin" "sweetheart, and the like all my adult life. I've been called all those things (and a few others) when I've taken Stacye out in public also. It is merely a polite, form of address, used to put people at ease. To me it's comfortable to both give and receive politeness.

Only some yankee could get that upset over people being polite to folks
    [SIZE=3]Stacye Rose[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Cleverly disguised as a normal contributing member of society[/SIZE]

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Earlier in this thread I wrote that using these terms struck me as being an affectation. Now I'm wondering if perhaps it is a regional thing. I run into very few women who call people they don't know "hun", but I guess there are some parts of the country where it is common? Even then, using the terms face-to-face seems a bit more sincere than in writing.
    You might be right about it being a regional thing, but I'm not so sure about the lack of sincerity. One of the few people who knows both of my identities is from oop north and we "met" on facebook because I know her sister. When she writes to me she calls me "hon" but I don't perceive it as affected or insincere - it's just the way she speaks. My manager is from dan saaf and she often uses "hon" when writing or speaking to "him".
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar
    [SIZE=4]``Since I'm southern born, I think it was more a southern thing originally, but seems common in the west.

I look at it as affirmation of my womanhood.

People generally don't use these terms in talking to a strange man, only a strange woman.

Now by "strange" I mean someone you don't know.

Of course after I see them a few times I begin to know my customers, and they also know me and start to sometimes use my name (if they remember it.) But i am fine with the other terms.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

Must be an American term eh! Like, how's it going eh? Gotta go arn my blouse. My wife is from one province in Canada and I'm from another. It's kind of strange sometimes how the regional difference affects our language and the meaning of some little word.

I agree with you Karen.
    When I first started going out to clubs dressed, I went to gay bars because I thought I would be more acceptable there.
    Another little similar thing I noticed was a lot of the people giving each other quick little kisses on the lips and the calling of each other hon.
    I just couldn't follow and let myself do either one. Hey if someone else wanted to do either that was fine with me but I couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    You might be right about it being a regional thing, but I'm not so sure about the lack of sincerity.
    Yes, of course you're right. But it really is impossible to know individual motives. Some people will say "hon" naturally and with full sincerity since it is a part of their regional culture, while for others it is an affectation because they believe it will make them sound more femme. And I've also seen it and the terms "sweetie" and "dear" used repeatedly in posts where the message tone was most definitely condescending (I'm thinking of a particular post but I won't link it here since it isn't my place to do this).

As with anything else, it is impossible to generalize. I can only say that in my neck of the woods, women don't use these terms.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn2006 View Post
    Love this thread! I too hate... I mean, ABSOLUTELY HATE it when people respond with the "sweetie, hun, honey, etc." monikers. It so leaves me cold, and so often seems to be coming from someone with some unknown agenda within which I can hardly relate. I want to say it's condescending, but it's more than that... It's really just rude, and so off-the-chart presumptuous, with the bearer seemingly thinking themselves above what's being discussed. If not intended, it's how it's perceived. So please, ladies with whom I speak... stop it already. It's really, REALLY irritating!

Robyn
    Wow. You sound psychotic.

The things you're saying could apply to anything that obnoxious people say in a condescending sarcastic fashion, and maybe you're used to people saying "hon" and "well bless her heart" when they actually mean, "What a dumbass."

But not everybody is a sarcastic a-hole, even people that use the word "hon." That southern waitress who calls you "hon" probably isn't being a b*tch. When my girlfriend says "hon," it's usually in a very sweet compassionate way, usually with someone she's taking care of who has a very short life expectancy. If she doesn't like you she's not going to call you "hon"; she's going to be up-front instead of passive-aggressive. To say that anybody using the word is "rude, off-the-chart presumptuous and VERY irritating" is rude and presumptuous on your part.

It's not what you say; it's how you say it. When my GF calls me "princess" she's being endearing. When anybody else says it they usually mean "You gay b*stard."