Thread: Why is women's hair much silkier, softer and shinier?

Banned Read only

Why is women's hair much silkier, softer and shinier?

Even if I use femme products, I cannot get mine to look and feel the same.

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    Hormones
    If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.

pfftt.. it's genes.. My wife always says I have thicker better hair than she does, and I use crap products while she's using "paul mitchell"

Platinum Member
    i don't know but i think my hair is happy.....

Departed
    Genetics. Some men's hair makes women jealous while some women have hair to die for.

Before guy hormones started killing my follicles I received lots of envious comments from girls. Then I used mirrors to see the back of my head and now I'm the envious one.

And Proscar doesn't seem to have much of an effect, so far. It's why I decided to give up letting my hair grow out.

Banned Read only
    Ummm because the majority of them don't wear wigs like most of us do?
    Seriously i don't know. Maybe all the haircare products GG's use really works?

The same reason why most women are much prettier!

Genetics!

Emmi

If it's genetics, then that explains a lot for me. I have silky, long, blonde hair that is my own. All the women wan't to kill for it.

Exclamation

As they used to say in ancient Certs adverts: "Stop! You're BOTH right!"

Genes AND hormones, as appears to be imprinted on one o' my decrepit, flickering brain cells, are why most womens' cranial and body hair generally has a smaller diameter and smoother shaft. Not nearly everybody's, though, and the m/f differences are not the same among racial and ethnic groups. Also, I seem to remember something about female hair follicles being more numerous, on the head, at least.

Then again, that could be a lot of complete and utter humbug...

Marge, you being a cop makes you the Man, which makes me the woman. And I have no interest in that!

...besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.
    ~ H. Simpson

Silly goose, of course that's not me in my avatar![/size]

Yes genes and hormones. Different races have different types of hairs, Aisan hair is round, Caucasian hair is triangular believe it or not. This makes the hair behave differently. Race also affects density, Asians can have double the number of scalp hairs than Caucasians.

But for softness it is mostly hormones, male hormones promote stiffness in the hair shaft while estrogen makes hair more supple. Healthy hair is due to the person's lifestyle and how much the hair is combed spreading natural oils.

This of course assumes that you take proper care of your hair. Women spend much more time, effort and money on maintaining their hair then men do and it shows!

Wink

Helana hit the nail on the head ,if your hair is not as soft and silky as you would like then spend more time caring for it ..to have really nice hair takes a lot of work and the effort to find the products that bring out the best in yours....my hair is naturally curly but can be blow dried to any style if i take the time ...
    Sarah
    TRY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT DO IT AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy me
    i don't know but i think my hair is happy.....

And I dont think any one could disagree with you at all Wendy!!
    I have long real hair too, but it could never ever look as good as yours.

......Melissa......
    We have to weather the storm before we can enjoy the sunshine

Platinum Member
    love my hair it's was and wear ...damp dry shake it out let dry brush shake and done ....it was meachoned to try strighting it ...thinking abought trying it but this is fun .........

My hair has all ways been very fine I can never put it up as it just falls out of clips and pins.

My hair has always been very soft and silky.I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner.In the old days when I had really long hair I also used hot oil treatments also.
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

Dancing With Unicorns Sarah Ellis's Avatar
    I did, wish I still had, very long thick black shiny hair. It was all natural and took hours to dry after washing (it went right down to my butt). Sadly due to my everyday work (I work outdoors) the hair just had to go.

Satin xxx
    "There's a place for us.
    A time and a place for us.
    Hold my hand and I'll take you there.
    Somehow, someday, somewhere."