Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall dressers

Tall dressers

Hi,

I was wondering if there are many tall CDers on here? I'm 6ft 5in before I even think about wearing heels.

Are there any tips to look less tall?! Or any pointers which help you to stand out from the crowd less (without slouching over!). I know it's probably a daft question but lI think heels do make for so much more a feminine look than flats (although guess that's not always the case) yet if I'm banging my head off every door frame with them on I think I might smudge my makeup a few times!

Sorry if a thread like this has been posted elsewhere. If it has perhaps someone could post the link.

Thanks.

I would not wear anything over 1 inch.

I'm with you on this one, I'm 6' 4" in my stocking feet. I not too troubled about looking tall, I am tall. My problem is clothes that fit. Stockings come up just over the knee, waistlines on dressed at my sternum, and it's impossible to find cute shoes in my size.

Be tall and proud. Lots of girls envy long legs.
    Rebecca Bas

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    6' 5"? Wow, short of sitting and getting used to flats, I'm not sure.

I'm 5' 10" - still taller than average, but it amazes me how many tall women I notice around me. There's a girl in my youth group who is 6' and she wears it well. Sure, she wears mostly flats, but, . . .

Kathi

yeah, I'm about 5'10" or 5'11" (not really sure, I haven't measured myself recently)

I've also noticed that there are plenty of tall women, so height really doesn't bug me.

I'm not really sure if I will ever wear heels... they aren't really my style

there are lots of tall women out ther but 6,5" is tall to start with , i think i am pushing the limits at 6,1 , but i bet the extra 4" are just too much , i have long legs too so i understand the coment about stockings comming up just over the knee ( not nice) , and shoes thats a joke as i have big feet . but i just walk tall thats all i can do

Six feet

Wow, and I thought I was too tall at 6 feet. I still like heals though, and yes I've banged my head a few times because of them. I do stick to nothing over 3" but those still add a lot of height. Like everyone else has said, though, there are more tall GGs around than you'd think. Just look around and you'll see. Like most of us I spend a lot of time watching GGs just for tips. Even more so the tall ones for this very reason. I think that, as with so much else, confidence is the key. If you look like you're trying to hide your height (by slouching or what not...) you just call attention to it instead.
    Just my .
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by minalost View Post
    . If you look like you're trying to hide your height (by slouching or what not...) you just call attention to it instead.
    J
    that just about puts it in a nutshell, hideing it is not a good idea !!! ,

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

until...

I thought about height as an issue until the day I was sitting in an airport waiting for my plane when a local University girl's basketball team entered the same waiting area. Not only were they incredibly tall, but they all had on heels that were at least 4 inches. Now, this might have been a matter of intimidating the other team in some way, but they didn't worry about tall! It was quite impressive, I must say!

tina

A feminine shoe is a feminine shoe, whether it be a ballet flat or a a stiletto heel. The most important thing is you - if you feel comfortable in your look with 4" heels, then wear them. If you feel more comfortable in a cute lower heel, then wear that. If you prefer flats and feel good, then wear those! If you feel good about yourself and how you look, then the shoes will take care of themselves.

Now, full disclosure - I'm only 5'6" tall, but I have lots of GG friends who are all in the 6' range. One has discovered a store called Long Tall Sally, which is based in the UK, and has been ordering from their website (www.longtallsally.com) and likes what she's bought so far. Check them out, perhaps you'll find some dresses cut for someone your height or maybe some stockings that fit.

I'm 6'5" also. I have never really gone out in public that much other than to go nightclubbing or support group stuff in Chicago, and I did a lot of that back in the late '80's and much of the '90's. I don't go out anymore, but when I did, I wore lower heels usually, not quite flats, but usually only a 1 or 2 inch heel, although I have worn 4" heels a few times too. I figure that there's no way that you can fool anyone into thinking that you're not way tall, so you might as well go for it and wear heels if you want to. Just look at someone like RuPaul who is very tall too.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Burton View Post
    Check them out, perhaps you'll find some dresses cut for someone your height or maybe some stockings that fit.
    Thanks Jamie! I so love dresses, but they always seem to hit me wrong - the waistline hits me right under the bust. Sigh.

I'll check this place out as two-piece dressing can get a bit old.

Kathi

I'm at the six foot mark and I wear any height heels that I want.. Mostly my thinking is I'm a guy, a cross dresser, and I could give a crap about the standard women live by.. I love tall women, and tall women who wear heels is a HUGE turn on.. Call me strange.. But I don't think anyone should be repressed or oppressed (whichever it is that belongs right there) and feel like they should be like the women standard of at this height you wear this heel and it goes down to flats at the giant height.. Whatever
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Platinum Member
    I'm 6'3" so I can empathize!

6'5" is pretty darn tall, but at that height, what difference does 2-3 inches make. You're already towering above the wee people anyway. From their perspective, nothing changes.

I know this from personal experience. Before meeting a new business associate, I learned from one of his unusually diminutive (5'0") staffers that he was really tall, like me. In fact, he was closer to 6'7" and I felt like a little boy standing next to him.

6'3"+ here. I don't like heels over 2-2.5 inches...nosebleeds from the altitude...I stick with darker colors during the summer, anything during the winter as it can hide under a winter coat. Dresses look like a bolt of material running length-wise so I dress 2 piece a lot or the mix-n-match style. Lots of slacks, tops/etc.

I have shared elsewhere, but WAAAAY back when I was on the other side of the fence
    (1983 or 84 I believe), wife and I went to a restaurant. I was still in the 6'+ range and I happened to wear a pair of 4" stilettos that night being proud and confident as a young, tall 25ish year old woman. We're sitting in the waiting area, me hitting 6'5 with the shoes and my wife who is 6' in her own right wearing similar, when a couple of the Dallas Diamonds and their dates/SO/etc walk in and ask for a table. These two girls were 6'6"+ stocking foot plus wearing low heels so amazon would be polite... Needless to say the waiting room now drew the attention of anyone within eye-shot with 4 women over 6ft sitting out there. I for the first time ever, felt small! We chatted for a bit while waiting, they were VERY interested in me/my height till I mentioned the asthma and inability to do sports. They were bummed for me, but we continued to chat till we got a table about 10 minutes or so later. After watching them, my confidence went thru the proverbial roof from then on.

Jenn

I'm 6'-1" and feel I'm at about the limit of height before it becomes an issue that draws attention.

I know of three women in my day to day life that are my height, so I guess I don't stand out too much, though I do try to avoid wearing heels

I'd love to wear a pair of strappy sandals with 4" heels while out, but they would just make me tower above the crowd more than I do now.

The 6-1 itself may not draw attention, but combine it with bigger head, heavier brow, wider shoulders, vanishing hairline and bigger hands and feet and it is just one more factor that contributes to making it VERY hard to blend in.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne4ever View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if there are many tall CDers on here? I'm 6ft 5in before I even think about wearing heels.

Are there any tips to look less tall?! Or any pointers which help you to stand out from the crowd less (without slouching over!). I know it's probably a daft question but lI think heels do make for so much more a feminine look than flats (although guess that's not always the case) yet if I'm banging my head off every door frame with them on I think I might smudge my makeup a few times!

Sorry if a thread like this has been posted elsewhere. If it has perhaps someone could post the link.

Thanks.
    my love

[SIZE="3"]I'm about 6'3" & have very broad shoulders, I dont wear heels anymore (I did many years ago) due to having a serious leg injury last year as I have to be very carefull what I have on my feet.

So I wear the boring "Not" so Flat style Boots & Sandals
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"] Mandy xx[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Dont knock it, till youve tried it[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Qualified & Insured Waxing Therapist[/SIZE]

Well, it's good to be in such good company! :-)

I'm 6'2", BTW, and like most of you, I, too, love high heels.

Eddie Bauer (.com) used to carry Tall dresses in misses and women's sizes, and there were some very very pretty ones. I bought one and I love it! But last year, they went bankrupt and the new owners discontinued pretty much all the dresses. :-( Haven't tried Long Tall Sally's, but perhaps I will. It's so nice having a dress that fits where it's supposed to!

I haven't been out in public (yet), but when I think about it, the height issue does come to mind. Some of the advice given here helps, so thanks!

Jennifer Lyndon is 6"4" and is beautiful. I've been out with her and being tall is not an issue. In fact many of the cross dressers I see at SRO are tall, so it is not really an issue.

I sew my own clothes because at 6'1" I rarely find anything that fits right.

I continue to learn as I make more clothes and find that good looking classic dresses that fit cannot be beat. I look back two years when i first ventured out in public and see such a difference. Just strive to look better than the last time and don't worry about your height, you will eventually get to where you would like to be.

Hi Leanne.....wow 6 ft 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    I'm 6'-1" and feel I'm at about the limit of height before it becomes an issue that draws attention.

I'd love to wear a pair of strappy sandals with 4" heels while out, but they would just make me tower above the crowd more than I do now.

The 6-1 itself may not draw attention, but combine it with bigger head, heavier brow, wider shoulders, vanishing hairline and bigger hands and feet and it is just one more factor that contributes to making it VERY hard to blend in.
    Thank you Cristi. That's pretty much how I feel at 6 ft 2. I think I'm a dead giveaway because of my height, but I've conquered that fear now I am a regular at the busy mall. I do try to avoid heels though.

Tash

I am 6'1" and was very aware of my height when dressed, that was until the evening that I was shopping in a large department store and noticed several women of my own height wearing heels doing their shopping. I know look at myself in a more positive manner.

Im 6 foot 5 and finding clothes is a struggle. But I've learned a few things through out my cross dressing years.

1.Buy queensize or superlarge hosiery. (FALKE is a very good brand!)

2. Ballet pumps are also very femine!

3. Don't worry about wearing heels, others will go crazy over your stunning long legs!!!

But the one thing I still can't help is finding shoes that fit in my size!!!! Very difficult!!!

Gold Member
    looking good and femme has more to do with shape than size.
    I am 5'9", which is somewhat within range, but I go to school with a few girls taller than I am. Their height does not make them look any less feminine than my best friend at school who is probably only 5 feet tall.

Have you ever heard anyone say, "She is to tall to really be sexy, if only she were shorter she would look so much better"

I think honestly, being too short would be more of a problem than too tall.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.