Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how would this have affected you?

how would this have affected you?

I was in the garden yesterday having a beer with one of my sons and a friend. For some reason the conversation turned to men who dress in women’s clothes.
    Now I am in the closet, apart from one special friend. I am there because I like to be in there by the way.
    Anyway, before long the words faggot and queer were used to describe us.
    What I found interesting was the affect it had on me. First it made me smile. I think that’s because I am living such an enjoyable life as Suzy and they have no idea!
    Also I find my secret life as Suzy exciting because it is a secret life.
    What it did not do is upset or annoy me at all.
    So, tell me, how would it have affected you. Am I unusual?

SUZY

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I once heard my dad say something about men in dresses. It just made me more determined not to come out to my parents.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

If I'd heard my kids use derogatory terms for anyone who's 'different' I'd be horrified and would challenge them about it.

Neither my son nor Steve's were brought up to be narrow-minded or prejudiced but accepting of difference. How can we hope to change common misconceptions and ignorance if we don't use these opportunities to enlighten people, especially our own offspring?

I know I'm always standing on the 'truth' soapbox... but I want to see transpeople accepted everywhere and by everyone possible. It's up to all of us to help to change the way people think.

Fun loving Florida girl! tammygirl79's Avatar
    To tell you the truth Suzy, i don't think it would have affected me any different then it affected you. No matter who you are, how you act or what you do or like in life, there is always some sort of derogitory term for it. My parents raised me with the philosophy of "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me". Never take anything personal....God knows your son wasn't calling you that, he had no idea. I've been called an asshole, a bitch, a yankee, a preppy, whitey, cracker, faggot....you name it. They are just words, we should be strong enough to not be offended by words! Now, what I would have done is have a conversation with my son to find out why he feels that way, and to tell him that even if he does feel that way, you should never call someone a derogatory name because it is hurtfull. And just try to explaine to him why people crossdress, without revealing that you are a crossdresser.
    As a man I may look like I belong, but I don't feel like I belong...As a woman I may not look like I belong, but I feel like I belong!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

It would get my dander up and put me on the soapbox

Kind of like this;

I probably would have done a little "raising of awareness". I don't mind if someone feels that crossdressers are not normal or even a little strange, but the names show the speakers as intolerant. But sometimes that's just a step or two from abusive. I'm not out to many as a crossdresser, but I'm well known for my defense of just about any minority. Even when my kids were younger and using the term "gay" instead of "unpopular" both my wife and I would attempt to drag them up short.

I'd have let your son and friend know there is no direct equivalence between crossdresser and "faggot" or "queer" particuarlly if it's being used in a derogatory fashion and they could stop drinking my beer until they started showing a little respect for folks they obviously didn't understand.

Ok, I feel better. I can climb down off the soapbox now.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I get upset at this myself but on a digfferent front

I belong to an MCC church and am an ardent supporter of legalizing gay marriage and all the other rights due to citizens.
    That being said it has been painfully obvious that many in the gay community and some in the TG community are adding fuel to the fires that others are trying to put out.

I detest the terms queer and faggot however, much like African Americans (hate that term too) too many gays use the term in an "in your face" attempt to force the vanilla world to accept them no matter what they are doing. Look at the Pride parades for instance.

I have several gay & lesbian friends that work to fit in with society in general while not hiding their sexual/ affectional preference identity. These are folks you would be proud to know and live, work and socialize with. OTH, you see many in the pride parades that are as outrageous as they can possibly be and many times in a just-barely-legal way.

It amazes me that these folks can't seem to comprehend that much of the vanilla world is trying to accept a lifestyle that many don't understand but when they are bombarded with deliberately ugly and clownish drag queens and guys in penis costumes and the like, it is quite natural and expected for defenses to go up and it then becomes increasingly difficult to have a serious fact based discussion when the clowns are what is on the news. The same for many of us CDers.

When CDers who are not 21 with trim feminine bodies present out in the world dressed as 50GG chested hookers in bullet bras, Toys R Us wigs and micro skirts etc, what do you expect the rest of the population to do or say? I laugh at them myself.

Unless we stop deliberately adding more stress to the acceptance we seek, then we have no reason to be surprised at the negative reactions.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1
    Also I find my secret life as Suzy exciting because it is a secret life.
    What it did not do is upset or annoy me at all.
    So, tell me, how would it have affected you. Am I unusual?
    [SIZE="2"]Yes, I feel the same way, in fact I would have reacted (by not reacting), just as you did. I would expect the typical male to make the unconscious mental leap your “friends” did, especially in a situation of that type where pack-mentality thinking rules the day. Don’t you just love keeping secrets? It amuses me no end to be a hidden crossdresser among people who wouldn’t understand such a thing, no matter how much you could try to explain it. It’s like separating the wheat from the chaff (a Kansas reference), finding those who think differently and act on their urges. Of course, you have to have urges and desires in the first place, not deaden them by associating with the walking dead. So, I would’ve gotten a chuckle out of your unplanned situation. No, you’re not unusual, but please don’t ever be “usual,” OK? [/SIZE]

I would have reacted negatively, and I'm not even TG. It bothers me when people put down those who are different than they are, whether the slurs are directed towards a person's race, religion, sex, or gender.

I probably would have done my best to educate them. It's been my experience that most bigots back off when they're in the presence of someone who doesn't agree with them.
    Reine

I have been around people who talk that way and I had to correct them. I felt like I was defending myself.
    Michelle

I have always tried to instill tolerance of all people whatever their difference with my children. No matter how we try they are influenced by their environment, "friends" and acquaintances. Sometimes I think they go along with the crowd just to fit in.

If ever in that situation, I would say whatever people do is up to them and should not be harassed by society as long as they are not hurting anyone. Then attempt to change the subject.

I would have said something without outing myself. I'd make it clear that I don't appreciate anyone calling gays... or anyone for that matter, derogatory names. I'd express my tolerance and hope some of it would rub off on my son and his friend.

If a son or a daughter of mine and their friend had tried to draw me into this conversation, they would have seen everything but a smile on my face. That son or daughter would invited to a private conversation where I would share my positive views on diversity and my contempt for the contrary.

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

How would it have effected me? Well first of all I would have told my son that in my household the use of any derogatory term applied to anyone will not be tolerated. Those words are not terms of endearment and I don't even like the gay community using them for one another. Period. I also would have suggested very strongly that my son and his friend actually do some research. Ignorance can be fixed, stupid cannot. And when they make uninformed remarks about anything I will accept ignorance if they are will to learn and change.

We live in a society where we should live and work together not deride or even have mistrust in each other. It bothered you or you would not have said anything. You know that what they were saying was patently untrue. When people use words like this they are really trying to look bigger than they are. They do just the opposite. I won't accept social status as an excuse either for talking this way.

I would have tried to educate my son about acceptance, tolerance and gentility. Then I would have strongly suggested he do some research and we could discuss it further when he had. You would not have to expose yourself over this. The way he was talking is the same as racism and anti-theological speech.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I've found that as I've grown older, I've become far more tolerant and accepting. When young, I had the same feelings as the OPs son - even though I dressed. Pack mentality, I guess... I no longer think that way. I recently saw one of my nieces Facebook posts about her fiance' almost getting in a fight with an "it", and it really torqued me. So I think I probably would have said something...

It would've affected me negatively, as one thing is to say that crossdressers are different and another thing is to use derogatory terms. Intolerance to those who are simply different is just never right, so like many here I would've tried to say something if it were friends or at least I would've been uncomfortable.

Sticks and stones, ya know? I figger why let myself be bothered by trying to think at their level?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    I too have been in a similar situation (though not as hateful). I feel good in the knowledge that we will experience part of life they will never know or accept. However I always take the time to do a little education. I choose to be in stealth in my work life, but I have had more than a few acquaintances transition. I use their stories to educate those who are clueless as to who the transgender are. People will follow the pack mentality and attack anyone who is different until they meet someone who can dispell their fears.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Hello Suzy!
    I'm surprised that it did not affect you in any way, because you know patently that it is not true. Crossdressers mimic the rest of society in that only about 2% of them are gay. The rest are straight like yourself. At least a bit of correcting the intolerance would have been in line.
    Charlie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Couldn't happen to ME!

No one I'm close to would talk like that, PERIOD!

If I was with some strange, misc. jerks talking that way, I'd probably agree and even pull their chains some MORE! Just to see how ignorant and bigoted they REALLY WERE!

Stupid, intolerant people USUALLY make me LAFF!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Some food for thoughts; do heterosexual crossdressers get more angry by being called a faggot than being called a sissy?

Tasers. I don't like 'em. In this case I would have made an exception and gone out and rented one. On return to my home, I would have tasered them until loss of mental erudition and their shoes were full of displaced bladder fluid. I would then paint their bodies blue and duct-tape them to a streetlight near a multi-gendered nightclub. Just for grins and giggles. People's educations are so often neglected these days.

Huntress

Gold Member
    Not sure how I would have felt.

If a family member finds out at some point about their CD'ing male relative, they are likely to change their minds.

I don't think I would have got mad really.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

My dad owned a six unit apartment building with a gay guy living in the basement, and a gay couple living on the top floor, and plus the lesbian couple he's friendly with living year round on the boat in the slip next to his boat, and he has the gumption to say "I don't care if you're gay or not, just don't wear a dress".

Well I'm straight and i have gone out in public on numerous occasions wearing dresses. I'm a half transgendered person ( short of transsexual) and the situation is what it is.
    ..and yeah, I think he's a closet crossdresser himself, and I am in the process of dealing with it and he will know *very shortly* my situation.

As far as 'faggot", I get that all the time while jogging down my street in drab...usually teenagers yelling it n their cars just yelling stuff. Whaddyagonna do? just live with it, and not care. .
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 06-14-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle~ View Post
    Some food for thoughts; do heterosexual crossdressers get more angry by being called a faggot than being called a sissy?
    Yes, cause I resemble that remark.

Seriously, we're all just faggots and queers to the public at large. But you can try to steer their thoughts into a more rational pattern. Saying stuff like, "they're just people", "they're not gay", "must be tough to be one of them". Stuff like that, to get their compassion going, if any.

I feel so sorry for you Suzy.!

To have a child with such a low level of education, in life and tolerance.
    I would be so ashamed of said child, I'd just be crushed he turned out so badly... into someone I'd really not want to know.

I would ask him [ in front of his friend ] where he learned such language, certainly not in my home.

Presh GG