Thread: Voice Cues

SF Area, Outer East Bay (Pleasanton/Dublin/San Ramon)

Voice Cues

This morning I phoned a nearby Health Center for information, and ended up leaving a message on their Transition Hotline. (Not much of a hotline if you have to leave a message, but never mind that.) What interested me was that with both of the outgoing voice messages on the Transition Hotline, I could pretty much tell I was hearing an MtF who had done some voice work but was still a little rough around the edges.

So this suggests a question: If you're listening to someone who is trying to pass, or at least trying to blend in and not be obtrusive, what voice cues give it away? What is it you're hearing that's not quite working yet?

I would put hoarseness in the list, and also head resonances (sinus cavities). Not a whole lot we can do about the latter. Have others observed this phenomenon? What comes to mind?

Thanks for any insights, anecdotes, or vague musings!!!

*** Jenna ***

To be honest I have never actually heard a CD or MtoF speak. Oh wait, yes I have on various 'transitioning' shows that they run from time to time on Discovery Health. I have never ben very good at hearing various differences in things like music or voices and the fact that they were on the shows probably tipped me off. Otherwise I would probably assume that they either just have a cold or a deep voice for a female

Smile

Ok, I am very good at picking out the unsual. sounds like u are too. I remember seeing my first trans woman. She was just learning! Or just came out actually! I knew that she was there at work but didn't know who. The way I picked her out was. She seemed nervous, wouldn't look you in the eye when talking to you. If ya notice, women when talking to you. They want you to look them in the eyes. She was always looking down or off or something. Additionally she, had guy traits. She would stand like a girl, but then when she went to talking which was quite good. Well, she would forget about how she was standing or using her arms. And show guy traits......I'm not saying she was scratching the boys or anything. But, Close. If ya know what I mean. So, until you got it down pat! I suggest you better be thinking about your voice and actions versus what ur saying! I would give her suggestions, she would blow them off, cause she was thinking what did I know about it....Little did she know, I even gave her clues. (Like my hose w/o socks) I would let her be able to see them, crossing my legs in the break room,etc. She never picked up on it! So, inevitably she will not be very good at it for a very long time! Just the way I see it! Later! ( as I type this w/my pretty fingernails! That are mine by the way!) Yeah, I catch alot crap for having long nails as a guy. I just tell them I'm lazy! They buy it everytime. LOL. Sorry I got off the subject! I got a whole Topic on how to do it w/o thinking about it but thats a whole different subject. Learned it riding motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    The way I picked her out was. She seemed nervous, wouldn't look you in the eye when talking to you. If ya notice, women when talking to you. They want you to look them in the eyes. She was always looking down or off or something. Additionally she, had guy traits. She would stand like a girl, but then when she went to talking which was quite good. Well, she would forget about how she was standing or using her arms. ... I got a whole Topic on how to do it w/o thinking about it but thats a whole different subject.
    Great observations, Jett! Eye contact is something I hadn't thought about -- and I'm terrible at eye contact in boy-mode, so I need to build a new habit.

I would love to read your thoughts about how to do it without thinking about it.

*** Jenna ***

(Blogging about gender at jennawillow.wordpress.com)

Great advise. I would add speak softly. Try to find a female singer that you can try to sing with that you can try to imitate. Even if you don't like the music it helps a lot. I use Karen Carpenter and Cher,and Madonna. I know they all sound different but I find works or phrases that works for me. I have been completed on my voice. So it does work. It takes a lot of time and effert. Being around men all the time sucks in my job. Since I'm 247 I real have too work hard to not relapse around men. So good luck. This has worked for me.

Smile doing w/o thinking

Alright Jenna-it is liable to be lengthy, and not something that u will b able to turn off and on. It will become part of you. Do you want me to start new thread (which I have never done on here) or start here! later ~Jett~:

Alright Jenna-it is liable to be lengthy, and not something that u will b able to turn off and on. It will become part of you. Do you want me to start new thread (which I have never done on here) or start here! later ~Jett~:
    I think you should start a new thread. It's easy! I think this is a great topic -- doing it without thinking about it -- and will stir up some good discussion.

Speaking of which, this morning at the gym I ran into a woman I know slightly. I was in boy-mode, of course. So we had a little conversation, just a couple of sentences, and afterward I realized I had been using my femme voice the whole time! Not, like, doing any extra flirty bits or anything, just the pitch range and tone.

*** Jenna ***

Angry

Ok, Jenna! I spent a hour writing it and they logged me out or something and I lost it! Any ideas?
    ~Marcella~

Ok, Jenna! I spent a hour writing it and they logged me out or something and I lost it! Any ideas?
    If I'm writing a long post, I will usually write it in a text editor, because I can save it to my hard drive as I'm going along. Then when it's finished, I copy and paste it into the Web form.

*** Jenna ***

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    I find that trans people tend to either have a deeper than average voice OR they talk like Mickey Mouse.

Also many tend not to use inflection with words. Otherwise put they talk in a monotone.