Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip and the end of the Comfort Zone

Road Trip and the end of the Comfort Zone

I have wanted to take a road trip while dressed for multiple reasons for a long time but one of them was the fact that I had gotten into a rut of going to movies and grocery shopping. Every so often I would go shopping for clothes. I was really in a rut.

So this trip started like many others that I have had before. Working to get everything packed and get the main computer backed up onto my notebook before I left. Double check myself to ensure that everything was going that needed to. Packing for 2 people is really hard. I ended up with a lot of luggage. So after getting everything packed and in the car, then it was time for me to finish getting dressed. This trip was going to be different in so many ways because this time I was going dressed. I put on my makeup and got dressed and then finally got in the car at 5:30PM. Luckily I only had 225 miles to drive because otherwise I wouldn't have made it starting that late.

So where did I drive for Day #1 you ask? I drove from Denver, CO to Raton, NM. The trip got me to thinking about what other drivers would think if they only knew that I was really a guy as they passed me. Then I got the funny idea about what if they didnt' have on any pants or underwear. The trip went great until I got to Trinidad, CO. I went into the McDonald's there and as I walked in the door there were 2 older women with an older man sitting near the door. As one of them say me they said - "OH MY". I knew they were talking about me as they watched me heading for the bathroom. I could tell that they were very unaccepting and I walked back up to the cash register I noticed them burning a hole through me. So I looked directly back at them and said hello. they weren't going to ruin this trip. So I ordered my food and decided against eating in the restaurant since I figured it might be best to retreat. But I wasn't to be done by one little hiccup in this trip. I drove down to get some drinks before checking into the hotel. Then I had to walk through about 10-20 young guys on the way to the front desk. When I got there I had one of the sweetest young ladies check me in without incident and a huge smile. I passed a bunch of people getting to the room and back to unload the car. So beside the old folks at MickeyD's everyone treated me with respect.

Tomorrow I am driving in the back pastures of Texas and NM on the way to Dallas. This should definitely be out of my comfort zone because this is redneck cowboy country. I have driven this trip multiple times en drab and I am familiar with the road so I shouldn't have any trouble.
    Last edited by AKAMichelle; 06-20-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Michelle

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Unaccepting?! In Trinidad?!?!

Whoa, mama! That is odd. Glad you handled yourself with grace and aplomb, and showed them they've nothing to fear - that you're simply an average guy (OK, above average ) with an incredible sense of style!

Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Drive safely!

Kathi

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I've driven on that same route from Raton NM into Texas. It's some rough country. My wife was got scared at a rest stop because there was a sign outside the restroom saying "watch out for snakes".

If I had driven through Trinidad nowdays I woud have gotten a shot of me outside the hospital or outside Marci Bower's clinic.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

I imagine that even Trinidad will have some Red Necks, but

Beautiful country, just set the cruise and enjoy.

Love ya, be safe.

Jo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All good things come to "she" who waits!

I love your boldness to stare down and say hello. I would like to come with you on a road trip

Good for you Michelle! I'll be reading your posts with a great deal of interest.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Unaccepting?! In Trinidad?!?!

Whoa, mama! That is odd.
    Yeah you would expect the town that Marci Bowers does her SRS out of would be use to and very accepting of Trans folks.

Nice trip Michelle. Have fun and enjoy.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

You sure handled that well michelle and would have been scarey for me too. Thanks for the confidence builder girl since its time for me to take a road trip this summer

I couldn't sleep last night because I couldn't decide if I was going to chicken out. The answer is simple I didn't. I got dressed so we now know the answer. Usually I am not in a hurry and never pay attention to the time, but this time I was racing for breakfast. Got down there 30 mintues before it closed and it was loosy as expected. The eggs were luke warm and no bacon. I ate what I could find. I hate being around children when dressed and there were some in there eating. I tried to avoid them as I understand how I would feel as a parent not wanting to discuss things like that on a vacation. Hopefully I didn't cause a problem. Now I am packing up the computer and putting the 2 ton of luggage in the car so I can begin my journey.

Here goes nothing!
    Michelle

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I hope the rest of your journey goes well, Michelle!

And, is relatively uneventful!

Please keep us posted! Us closet dressers LOVE stories from u BRAVE folks!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

They were probably staring at you because you looked too fabulous for Mickey D's.

Have fun and be safe.

You go, girl! Awesome! Have a wonderful trip and enjoy every moment!

Take pictures!

And when you get to where you have some time, rent the flick To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar. You're gonna love it even more after your trip!

Hugs and Best Wishes,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gold Member
    I used to live out west. Raton, NM is the most boring place on earth, what is there? a Loaf-n-Jug and a stop light?

Just be real careful around the redneck country cause they seem to be the biggest problem we face. Young people can present a problem but rednecks are pretty much our arch enemy.

Yes enjoy your trip, getting out and doing things en femme is fun at first.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

A couple of others have beaten me to the punch, but Trinidad? They must have been from out of town, I should think that we wouldn't be that much of an oddity there.

Checking in at a hotel is a goal for me. I'm glad you were accepted so openly by the desk clerk.

Banned Read only
    Michelle,
    I am glad that you are out there being you. I admire your conviction. Keep your spirits and confidence high, and have fun! Photos, please!

You can tell an ignorant person. You can't tell them much but you can tell them The McD's incident would have been one I would have been tempted to reply to "Oh MY!" with "Yes, all that fat and sodium in the sandwich is amazing isn't it?.

Have a great trip, have fun. It will be a great memory
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I bet you're coming through Amarillo aren't you. We've got a few clubs here if you wanna kick up your heels.

Gold Member
    Keep it going Michelle! Many more miles of fun and I am glad for you. And you don't have too much clothing. If you had a UHaul in tow, then you could think about it!

Smile

only bad thing i read is buy something at mcdee's.

there stuff can not be called food....i deliver to them and the meet is the lowest of the lot that can be sold as human food..

but yes way way too much salt and fat in the products. i will not eat there and some times i am given free food. i will stop next to a in and out place to eat, much better quality there.

end rant...and i make my money delivering this stuff???

best be careful in cow country...sheep country is safe though.

please post up some photos of your trip. if i had a car that got better mpg than my truck (8 at best) i would love to take a trip dressed.

but then there is the pride feast in sf next week. i do have sunday off work??

keep the good news coming.

where's the stop button? Daenna Paz's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Kathi Lake;2185895]Unaccepting?! In Trinidad?!?!

[SIZE="3"]Oh yes, ladies ... lots of "necks" in eastern Colorado ... believe me!![/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Daenna[/SIZE]

Day #2 Completed

That was one long drive. Once I got on the road everything started to go smooth until the need for the bathroom hit 80 miles too soon. All of the early choices for the bathroom were too crowded so I kept driving. Eventually the need to pea was enormous so I found a tree. I wonder if that is gender bending while dresed. Oh well. I didn't get any pictures because the batteries were dead in the camera and I didn't know it. But no fear I am doing this trip in reverse on July 1st and I won't make that mistake twice.

I had a lot of unique experiences on this trip. Mostly because in the small rural towns nobody goes out crossdressed there. You have to live there and not fear the locals or be nuts. Just call me NUTS. I had one cashier give me that whimisical smile like you look ridiculous and I know it look. I had a few almost ignore me but this was not the trip for being ignored. I didn't care how female or male my voice was because I was going to talk to everyone. That left them speechless. I had a Rest Area Attendant say hi to me when she couldn't see my face and shake her head a little when she saw my face on the way back out of the restroom. They probably had never seen a pregnant middle aged crossdresser before. The clothes didn't do me any justice since I put on so much weight since my last outings a year ago.

I got lost as I was approaching Fort Worth. I have got to get me a GPS. I can't travel like this again without one. Anyway I had to get gas, drinks and food before I finally found the hotel. So first for gas and since they had drinks it was a quick run inside. Got the door held for me by a middle aged guy. Bought the drinks and returned to the car preparing for the food search. A little ways down the road I found Arby's. Another terrible food choice but that was it for tonight. Drive thru - no way. I am dressed and I'm going in. I got a few people from Arby's to speak. We talked a little about how to find the airport since my hotel was near there.

Finally I found the hotel and checked in. The front desk clerk treated me with respect and finally I was in the hotel room.

This trip taught me a lot about people. The small towns haven't seen too many cd'ers and most of them have seen on TV if that. I was the first breathing cd'er in town. What an honor. I survived the trip because I was not going to be put back in the closet. I broke out 2.5 years ago and I'll be damned if anybody is every going to put me there again. The big cities were much better prepared for cd'ers. They had probably seen a few of us before me. This trip has given me the courage to do more road trips while dressed and it appears that I finally have a plane trip in July. Look out world the pregnant middle aged crossdresser is heading to a plane near you.
    Michelle

Wow. Michelle, I admire your spirit, and I love your positive attitude.
    Reine

Michelle, check out the website safe2pee.org . You can find reviews for trans/CD friendly restrooms all around America.

I have given this road trip a lot of thought since I posted last night. We go out sneaking around acting like we are sinners and doing something wrong. No wonder the world thinks we are doing something wrong - we act it out for them. This trip allowed me to do everything which I would normally do en drab while dressed. I interacted with people and acted like this was normal. Now the people on the receiving end may have called me "NUTS" - "QUEER" - "GAY" whatever floats their boat. I may not have changed their minds about cd'ing, but I had mine changed about the world. You can go out and have fun while dressed.

We want to be accepted as a crossdreser, and then we hide things and lie to our SO's and wonder why we are having a problem with them. It's simple we aren't being honest with ourselves and they know it. Therefore they are always wondering what else you are lying about or hiding from them. Awhile back I decided that no matter what I am, I will go through life as me regardless of what others think and this girl is NEVER going back in the closet.
    Michelle

You can even find rednecks in places like San Francisco, like us, they are everywhere. Even in Trinidad, old people can be stuck in there ways, and you have to remember, the greatest generation, where real conformers.
    Glad you did not let them damping your enthusiasm.
    Tina B.