Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to work in a skirt!?

Going to work in a skirt!?

I am an engineer (electrical) I have always wondered what would happen if I were to show up at work on day in my girl mode? Has anyone ever done this? Also what were the consequences? Would I get fired? What if I wanted to go as in girl clothes sometimes and in drab at other times? Sometimes its hot and the women at work can wear skirts and sleeveless tops, but I am limited to wearing hot dress pants or jeans and a dress shirt. Could I get away with wearing a skirt? I would even wear my breasts and a wig if it helped them cope. I also feel more empowered and outgoing when I wear makeup, can I and has anyone ever wore makup t work en femme or otherwise?

I know this is a lot of questions and I am new, but thanks for all you answer's in advance!

hugs...
    Dahlia

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Dahlia, it depends on your company. Some have more lenient HR regulations than others.

If you really want to do this, (and I have to ask you why, and ensure you have asked yourself why), get with your HR department and get their feeling towards this.

Is your job secure? Is your supervisory chain tolerant? What would you gain, other than the "empowerment" you mentioned?

Kathi

The New Improved Version Virgin_CD's Avatar

give them hints fist for sure...

like leak to them or get "caught" with pictures of you on the computer (not sexy ones)... and getting HR's approval (with some sort of evidence) would be imortant if you didn't want to get fired shortly... make a "trail". I saw a comedy skit recently where the guy was gay and started teaching his class B&D with his boyfriend in the hopeshe would get fired and could sue the company for millions. It was one of those sarcastic animations. But I think that is where it would go... better be very strategic... AND lucky. Plus, I'd get a hungry attorneys advice pri to and every step of the way. Esp in these days of hi unemployment. But hey, I don't know, maybe you are looking for early retirement and this is the best form of golden parachute you can get?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"All things in moderation"[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

You really need to think about and ask yourself for an honest, clear answer about why you want to do this. Hot weather is not enough.
    If you are sure you know why, then you need to talk with your HR department (do they already know about your CD/TG circumstances?), and you need to think about your supervisor(s) and co-workers. Are the work environment and the group of people going to be open and willing to accept what your doing in a supportive way--or at least a neutral way without reprimands or ostracism?
    It may sound like fun, and it may sound like a refreshing change of pace and a more comfortable way to dress, but you do not want to jeopardize your career.
    Take the appropriate steps through HR to protect yourself.
    warmly, Linnea

Honestly I don't know why, I don't even know why I feel the need to put on feminine clothes, I am still trying to figure that out as well. This is just something I have thought about often.

I feel normal when I put on a skirt and pink top, like that is how I am supposed to dress.

I don't really have anything to gain by it, so to speak, but for some reason just feel like I am being fake when I wear the "dress code"

To help carify, when I am in a meeting I am generally wiewing the situation as a woman sitting there and feel like others should perceive me that way. To be honest I beleive that if I could go to work that way, it would (for me at least) complete the package (so to speak)

I will however talk to HR, when I can get up the nerve, I do beleive that they would keep it confidentail at minimum.

Thank you Kathi, I am really just at the point where I have never actually talked with people about this and want to take the next step I guess.

BTW I have seen you other posts around the forum and have always thought your look was fabulous and your posts very concise and thoughtful, it is an honor to have you reply to mine!

Dahlia

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin_CD View Post
    I saw a comedy skit recently where the guy was gay and started teaching his class B&D with his boyfriend in the hopeshe would get fired and could sue the company for millions. It was one of those sarcastic animations.
    Wasn't that from South Park?

I know that the company I work for, actually has it in the dress policy about trans gendered people.

Kymmie
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

As an electrical engineer you should know that messing with the current can be dangerous and causing a shock to others will get you in a lot of trouble.
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    As an electrical engineer you should know that messing with the current can be dangerous and causing a shock to others will get you in a lot of trouble.
    lol, thats sooo awesome, great reply!!!

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Could I get away with wearing a skirt?I would even wear my breasts and a wig if it helped them cope. I also feel more empowered and outgoing when I wear makeup, can I and has anyone ever wore makeup t work en femme or otherwise?
    Honestly I don't know why, I don't even know why I feel the need to put on feminine clothes, I am still trying to figure that out as well. This is just something I have thought about often

Probably not, you'd be called into managers office , or HR and then sent home. Guaranteed.

Why in the world would you even consider wanting to do this? It sounds like a really thick pink fog day when you wrote this. Change scenario here where you are thinking this same thought on a miserably cold rainy cloudy November afternoon where you've had words with a few of your co-workers of non CD issues work related, and the thought on THAT day of dressing totally turns you off and disgust you , as it does for me and others occasionally. Would you look back and think Thank God I didn't go through with my illogical impulsive rash act that by the way will never be forgotten by co-workers , you can't take it back once the damage and I clearly mean damage to your self integrity, pride and purpose are inflicted. Never take others by surprise over a delightful pink fog "whim" as you'll live to regret it.
    You can't have them unforget something they'd seen.
    Quick story her about a CD friend .

A dear CD friend who is a chemist in a one man lab in and office bldg, went to his office on a Saturday night to change into his femme clothes to join us at a CD meeting. he had to swipe his pass card into the outer door of Bldg, to gain entry, A night watchman doing his rounds saw him, but my friend was able to sneak out dressed before being confronted. However the information code about him a to name, time of entry, office door number was registered now in the database,and when he can into work that next Monday morning the Bldg manager and that security guard were there waiting for him to confront him on this mysterious clandestine masquerade.
    No phony costume party explanation would hold up and he was asked to vacate the property in thirty days.All his friends in surrounding offices got the word that day and it traveled like wildfire and those same people who used to go out to lunch with him and have coffee breaks now shunned him. Think long and hard, if this is something you really want to do or have to do,???? and the consequences.
    Sorry about the long rant.

Megan

I will Megan, I have never heard of the "pink fog day" yet but I like that analogy!

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread View Post
    I will Megan, I have never heard of the "pink fog day" yet but I like that analogy!
    Honey you'll hear a lot of that term here. We've all been through it big time , like your idea now.
    I was not trying to be critical or hard on you, but call it 'tough "sisterly" love to one, like you that should tread softly on unsure ground. All good intentions were meant... really

Gingerbread, it seems based upon the posts you've made that you really need to see a gender therapist. Please believe me that I am not trying to say you're somehow wrong just expressing some rather far advanced feelings and you need to catch up with them before going too far.

Many of us here have been dressing for decades and there is frequently that little doubt in our minds and you seem to be unaware yet of that. Or simply haven't yet expressed it.

If nothing else the time in therapy will help you decide just how far it is you want to go. It is possible that a full transition is where you really need to go and that really needs to start with a therapist.

So far everything you've expressed or that I've read of yours is well within the norm here so don't think that you are so 'out there' by yourself. Read and read some more of what others here have written. Take your time and relax a bit. There is still lots of time for all these thing to happen even for you.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I would recommend against it unless you are planning to transition. If you do want to transition, talk to HR about it. They will likely be able to guide you through the rest of process of informing your co-workers.

If your company's HR department rejects your desire to transition, you will likely be able to file a lawsuite against them.

I don't see why she couldn't wear a skirt. I have seen male employees of apple computer doing this. What is the big deal? It is no different than women dressing in a masculine manner as we see daily.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

my company could just fire me, for due cause and not in the company uniform.

be very careful and have a solid back up plan.

it would be great...some times and at some places to just be our selves...but most of the time it is a mask that is needed most for a job.

Silver Member
    I totally sympathize, and I often wish I could wear whatever I wanted to work (I am self employed but I am still beholden to my clients' expectations.) I would LOVE the idea of wearing a skirt etc. for a change. I also thing "corporate" dress codes are inherently discriminatory (unless men and women must both wear pants) and would love to see them challenged. However...

This is an incredibly bad idea.

You are talking about your livelihood (and that of your family etc. if you have one.) The economy is a nightmare with no end in sight and you would be risking your job with no certainty you could find another. Not to mention the reason for your termination would be hard to explain to a future employer.

As much as I sympathize, and I really do, don't do it!

My opinion

This is my

I am an engineer. My company has a dress policy (& I can't wear them at work). I would guess that you company does as well. If I were you, i would start there.

I like the other advice here as well. Be cautious, know your company rules, talk with HR & have a back up plan (most engineers do).

That being said, I met a really nice lady in Cincinnati who is an engineer. She retired from her company (in male mode) and then a couple years later started working as a contract engineer as a female. So it is possible, but tread carefully at first.

Good luck.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Banned Read only
    How about this idea, which is something I'm definitely considering doing. And that is, if your company has some sort of informal outing after work, go dressed? My company occasionally has outings to karaoke bars, and I definitely plan on going dressed and belting out a few song. Who knows, it might pave the way toward being able to dress, or wear nail polish or what-not, during regular business hours, or at least on "casual" Friday.

Bear in mind I'm a short-term contractor, so your mileage may vary.

Personally, I think this is going to far. As a CD, it would be like me flaunting my crossdressing in the face of my co-workers and they surely would not approve or accept it as a group. If you are about to transition, that is a different story. But for CD that has no interest in transitioning, I think it is way to "out there" and could very well be the end of your job. I would not risk it. Especially in today's job market and hard economic times.

Part of taking ownership of one's self includes taking responsibility for one's own actions. This includes any fallout that would result from those actions.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think it may depend on which country you're in. I think in many European countries (such as my own one, Sweden) it would be illegal to fire someone for wearing female clothes. I'm not saying there wouldn't be other difficulties but I don't think losing your job would be one of them.
    I'm always a woman!

As suggested earlier, an unofficial gahering may be the place to broach the subject.

But, what to wear. Perhaps you might look into getting a Utilikilt. Wearing it would give you the skirt in public. Adding a nice dress shirt, knee socks and dress shoes would complete the ensemble.

While this would not be the full CD, it would give you a chance to gauge the reactions of your co-workers.

Best wishes in this venture, and please let us know what happens if you decide to go ahead.

Ginger, in the state of California, you can be let go for just about any reason they choose. It's called "Right to Work", but it's also so, a right to fire. with out a union contract, you work by mutual consent. Most large companies in Silicon Valley have polices for those in transition, but not many are going to allow an on again off again approach to gender swapping. From what you say you have to wear to work, it sounds like your company has a dress code, they can use that against you. I would think long and hard about that idea. Oh, and Ginger, that pink fog, part of that is coming up with ideas like this one, and thinking it is something that might be OK.
    Tina B.

Don't get lost in the FOG, even if it is pink!

You know this has always been one sided as our dressing goes. Women can wear out clothes but not the other way around. The other night on national news Diane Sawyer was wearing a mans shirt. Thats right the buttons were on the right side not the left. If she can wear mens shirts on national T V why can't we wear a blouse or skirt out in public without fear of being labeled.