Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there rules to crossdressing?

R-u-l-e-s

Regal head wear only (tiaras, etc)
    Underwear? underneath!
    Lovely lavender lips (at night)
    Exfoliate exfoliate, i'll say it again...exfoliate!
    Spandex never (if ur 6 foot 290lbs, like moi)

anything else is merely accessorizing!

love JOY
    Lipstick is the balm for my soul!

There are definitely no rules for crossdressing, besides the obvious one of not exposing your privates.

I, too, have been told, Lori, that I should dress my age. I just have to ask, why? I'm nearly 28 years old, but almost all of my clothes have been bought in the Juniors section at the various stores I shop at. The reason I do that is because the clothes are just more my style. I work with a GG who is over 40 and also buys her clothes in the Juniors section. I know this because she's worn some of the exact clothes that I, myself, have bought.

I don't like that some people have taken to being fashion police officers. I'm sure a bunch of us on here have seen these TV shows. These are the people who lecture to you on what's in and what's out and which colors go best together and why you should dress your age. What's ironic is sometimes these people are wearing clothes that I wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole.

So, no, there are no rules. Wear what you like. Nobody can tell you otherwise.

If there are rules, who enforces them?

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    Rule #1. .... wig on head
    Rule #2. .... shoes on feet
    Rule #3. .... skirts on bottom
    Rule #4. .... blouses on top

Everything else is optional. within the bounds of social modesty, or, not.
    I would only question Rule #2
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    I would only question Rule #2
    Ok, I know I'm gonna end up looking stupid when I see the answer, but what's wrong with rule 2, where else would you wear shoes?

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Like some GG's, late at night I occasionally carry the shoes
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    The major rule for CD's is the same as for GG's or even regular guys! If it is illegal to show it, cover it up!! Pretty much everything else goes, unless you really have bad taste in clothes!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Yes, for 39.95 I will ship the handbook to you.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

If you CD only at home, there are no "rules". If you are going to be out in public then some "common sense" rules might apply as to what is the activity, where is it, who will be there, do I want to blend in or stand out, do I want to be perceived as a "lady", etc.
    Hugs, Carole

Post Rules!! yes there are rules!!!

Rule#1 When walking in high heels you must maintain balance at all times.
    Rule #2 If some says hello to you, Say hello back to them.
    Rule #3 If someone tells you that they don't like your dress, Ignor them because there idiots.
    Rule #4 If it looks like it might rain, Bring an umbrella or you will need a new perm.
    rule #5 Don't wear panty's in the docter office!!!! See thread " Things that make you think Oh NO "
    Rule #6 Always carry a can of mace with you, The fashion police are everywhere.
    I can't remember the rest of the rules right now, But I think you can make them up as you go!!! That's what I did!!!!! Just have fun!!!!!
    The lonely flower in the desert wearing HEELS

if there are rules then nobody showed them to me. Plus even if they did I would just claim that I can't read.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    If there are rules, who enforces them?
    How about the law? Unless you think you can run around in public with nothing but a thong and high heels.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~Michelle~

I have welcomed new members, I have help people with issues, I have complimented people, have never tried to be the center of attention, yet except for 2 members I have never received any appreciation either by message or friend request. Members who don't have a photo to show, have never received similar appreciation either. Nobody has ever welcomed me, helped me or complimented me except for 2. I'm disappointed, I have no other choice but to leave.

Rules about CDing?

There are no rules in private. In public, it depends on how much you want to be accepted by others or how much you want to blend in, whether you CD or not. The rules aren't written in stone, and they do vary depending on the situation and in what part of the world you live.

Most offices have certain rules for office wear. Most schools have a dress code. You wouldn't wear a bathing suit out to a fancy dress ball or to church. You wouldn't walk down the street half naked or in a Halloween costume outside of Halloween, if you wanted to be taken seriously by others. In an artistic milieu, I suppose anything goes, but not in a conservative environment. These are the obvious rules, but there are more subtle rules determined by social convention.

I don't know who makes up the rules. But I do know that generally people wish to feel as if they belong and there is a difference in how I'm treated depending on how I dress, even if it is a subtle difference. I wouldn't expect to be given a good table in a fancy restaurant if I walked in looking bedraggled. Why do you think the fashion industry is so big? Maybe it's because the only thing that people have to go on when it comes to gaging someone they haven't yet gotten to know is their appearance: general hygiene and clothing. First impressions do make a difference.

But if you don't care how others treat you, then there are no rules except for abiding by the law.
    Reine

[SIZE="4"]Rule Number One: Be yourself.[/SIZE]
    ....only you know you.
    This forum may offer suggestions, but none of us can speak for you.

Don't rob banks dressed. It give us a bad name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadina View Post
    Don't rob banks dressed. It give us a bad name.
    LOL!, Bernadina, yeah, I'm kind of familiar with that story, being from New Jersey and all. http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2...city_bank.html

rules! rules! we don't have any stinking rules!!!!!
    xoxoxoJennifer Easton
    Mighty bold talk for a one-eyed fat girl!

The same way sporting fans from one country are in a sense "representing" their country, crossdressers who go out in public are representing our section of society. I don't want Irish fans behaving badly, as it reflects poorly on the country, and similarly I wouldn't want crossdressers to give us a bad name with their "no rules" choices.

You're still free to wear whatever you like, but taking an "I can do anything I like, as it only effects me" approach can be slightly selfish.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    The rule is to follow the same rules that GG's follow

Well bearing in mind that Sheila's completely unruly.......No rules then

Me, Myself & Rachael Rachaelb64's Avatar
    Someone famous once said, 'Rule are for the obedience of idiots and the guidences of wise men' (or something along those lines)

Seems I'm neither an idiot or a wise man(ish) I just like to bend the rules to see how far the go

Ok now and again i do break the odd one or two, but I look sheepish and brush them under the carpet anf hope nobody notices

P.s. Me being an idiot or not, does depend on who you talk. I would also like to point out those people who think I'm clever, its just all smoke, mirrors and big words
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is to short so enjoy it to the full

:

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Today is a good day to Dress!

Quote Originally Posted by LolaLace View Post
    There are most definitely NO RULES. There are only social guidelines which in my opinion are bogus because society shouldnt really decide anything because it all comes from personal opinion.
    As far as social guidelines goes, I belive that would be men don't wear womens clothes, so I guess none of us are very good at following those either
    Tina B.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

The rule book says;

Article VII
    The Official Crossdressers Handbook - Volume 18, Third Edition
    Chapter 4
    Section A.2.b.(9c)
    All Crossdressers will conform to the standards established by the International Fashion Council, MTF section, published in the January issue of Crossdresser Quarterly following the bi-annual meeting of the representatives elected by local boards. Crossdressers found out of compliance will be politely asked to return to the closet until such time as they can conform. If compliance is not forthcoming, the accused crossdresser may call on counsel to explain the violation. On the third such violation the accused crossdresser may be sent for a makeover and fashion consultation at the nearest supporting member salon (See list in appendix 14b).
    Violations will be reviewed at the next meeting and if within the guidelines adopted by the membership, shall be accepted as standard.
    =====================
    It turns out that the IFC/MTF Section has approved everything ever brought to them (omg that's so cute! where did you get it?), so in effect, you can do anything you want.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

maybe it's a bit more direct:

This thread has been bouncing around in my head for a couple of days. I'm not sure I'd call it a rule, but it seems that the one principle that governs our actions needs to be:

Be truthful to yourself, know that your feminine self is not going to go away, and then act ethically.

Yes, I think that covers it.

tina