Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there rules to crossdressing?

Are there rules to crossdressing?

After reading more than one thread recently where it was intimated that certain things shouldn't be worn together, or that certain looks were frowned upon, it got me thinking...........

Bearing in mind, that a lot of what we do is a form of self expression and we do it for our own differant reasons [whatever they are].

There still seem to be some among us who feel the need to tell us what is acceptable and what isn't, leading me to ask.......

Are there rules to crossdressing?

I would imagine only as it applies to good fashion. I wouldn't know for certain, however.

There are no rules, anybody that suggests otherwise is, quite frankly, a fool (in my opinion). They are just clothes, wear and do what you please.
    Last edited by Cait; 06-22-2010 at 03:14 AM.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I have a few rules for myself - don't know if that counts, but here they are anyway:

1 If I don't feel comfortable about wearing something, I won't

2 Because I want to blend in, I try mainly to wear stuff that seems appropriate to me

3 If a GG friend tells me "that really suits you" and I like it, I'll wear it (if it doesn't cost too much).

4 If I think it makes me look like Coco the clown, I'll only wear it if I want to look like a clown

Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Rule #1. .... wig on head
    Rule #2. .... shoes on feet
    Rule #3. .... skirts on bottom
    Rule #4. .... blouses on top

Everything else is optional. within the bounds of social modesty, or, not.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Hi,

Depends on your age. & if your in groups as i am so yes there are.
    Im a Edwardian girl our group dress in the 1900 to 1910 time,

we are not victorian all tho that was before, during, & after.

& some of us sew & make our own clothes i do, its a lot of hard work at times & yes its fun,
    most of us are over 50 up to 70 years of age .

Out side of that you make your own rules if you need to or have an eye for clothes that look nice are nice fitting & your at home in them.
    i have some i wear every day at home . & other causal clothes for going down the road , & evening wear, depends on where your going & what your doing , really its common sence , well it is for us women ,
    you choose , you wear.

...noeleena...

hmmmmm...

Well, here is my position...

"Rules" were a list of specific behaviors and actions drafted by my parents that were either required or specifically forbidden while growing up.

When I reached the benchmark of "legal age", those rules became the "rules of the house" when visiting my parents home.

In the outside world the concept of "rules" became various examples of people trying to control some part of their world and the behavior of others that stepped in to it. Basically, not something I devoted much effort to or felt obligation to follow..

Now, "Rules" only have meaning to me in a social etiquette context, not anything I feel compelled to cater to.

The only time I genuinely consider taking any references to "rules" seriously, is when they are called "Legal Statutes". Even then, there is no guarantee I will follow all (or any) of them.

In my life, there are few (if any) "rules" that apply in every situation in life. Just like the sandbox we played in at recess during elementary school...the more rules there were...the less fun everybody had...lol

So, I guess my answer to this one is...No, there are no CD rules in my CD operators' manual.
    Last edited by eluuzion; 06-22-2010 at 04:32 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Whoever tells you that is full of "donkey dust" Debs.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post

Everything else is optional. within the bounds of social modesty, or, not.
    So True!! LOL

There are no rules in my book either, since all it says is be the best person you can be, and remember one thing... Harm none.

[SIZE=4]Yes, there are definite rules for crossdressing. They are in the appendix of the fashion manual. I have one somewhere but can't seem to find it right now...[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Of course there are rules, well only one that I think you should be aware of, and that is Be sure to cover up the dirty bits when going out in public all other rules are just guide lines!
    Tina B.

I have to give credit for the "Dirty Bits" to Monty Python

Although I liked Phyllis's rules, my answer to the question is NO.
    warmly, Linnea

NO - wear what you like and are comfortable in - enjoy - Ellen

Talking rules

I went to a friends birthday party in a sweater-low cut of coarse-and dress slacks with heels.One of the girls told me "crossdressers don't wear pants".I guess I broke a rule but must have misplaced my fashion rule book.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Rule number 1 Have fun

Rule number 2 Don't purge!!!!!!
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by Cait View Post
    There are no rules, anybody that suggests otherwise is, quite frankly, a fool (in my opinion). They are just clothes, wear and do what you please.
    I like this idea...............Rules?...........There are no rules

Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    Be sure to cover up the dirty bits when going out in public
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenwannabe View Post
    NO - wear what you like and are comfortable in - enjoy - Ellen
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    Rule number 1 Have fun

Rule number 2 Don't purge!!!!!!
    Ok, I accept we have to have a few rules.....The ones above seem perfectly sufficient to me

Unless someone else has any rules they think we should have?

No Rules,wear whatever you want as long as it's legal

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Anyone who says, "There r no rules", is in DENIAL!

In civilized societies, there r ALWAYS RULES!

To prove my point:

How many CDs go the store dressed looking like you're hosting a drag queen show?
    How many mature CDs visit their friends looking like a Barbie doll? Put your makeup on with a trowel?
    How many younger CDs go to clubs in loose, heavy granny gear? Or, in only a bra, panties, and heels?

If u EVER go out dressed, I submit there r LOTS of rules you'd NEVER consider violating!

Even avowed closet CDs, such as myself, have rules! I sometimes dress crudely and VERY tastelessly in private, (YES! Even worse than the pics you've seen!) Of course, you'll never see those pics!

And, even then, I have my own dressing rules I won't break even when I'm alone in private and NOT filming!
    And, I think we ALL HAVE THOSE! However different they may be!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I saw a young lady this weekend downtown. She was topless, except for two small round pasties that covered her nipples (think 50 cent pieces) and she was within rules. I saw several males at the same event topless, no nipple covers bellies hiding their belt buckles (if they had belts, most the shorts were showing 4" of cleavage) and they were in the rules.

Now as taste goes, I really liked the GG outfit. The guys not so much. Maybe nipple pasties and butt pasties for guys is in order?

Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules. I wear what I like. I like what I wear. All the preachy squeaky fearful posts here...they don't bother me...until they direct them at me. I say, if you gots it...flaunt it.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Platinum Member
    I took that thread a little differently. I don't think anyone is advocating rules for cross dressing - rather they were simply observing that in public, the more outlandish outfits (whether worn by a GG or CD) will draw attention...and when worn by a CD, tend to reinforce stereotypes about CDs.

It all depends on the venue.

A note of full disclosure - I can't bring myself out in public (at least not yet), so maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this either. But if I could, I'd want to look age and situation appropriate. The former is pretty limiting, but the latter allows one to express herself quite freely...just not around schools and shopping malls!

*excuse me Debs as I side track this a moment...still sort of within the OP)

What the heck is age and situation appropriate? Ok, you are at the beach and you are wearing a "Little House on the Prairie" dress while everyone else is wearing swimsuit. Situation?

You are Rachel Welch and you are at a social function wearing a LBD that shows your marvelous body. Age?

These are the "rules" Debs was asking about. And I agree with her. Where are they written down because I have never seen them. (Tamara, can you get me a copy of that book?). Last year I posted something with a photo of me and was told I was too old to dress like that. I didn't see a "for ages 14-29" on the tag.

We place ourselves in these "rules" things. Illegality aside (dirty bits) why do we need to place these rules? I will buy the time and place thing but it is MY decision what is the time and place. Show of hands here, who dresses to look like their 5th grade teacher?

Life is short
    Break the rules (if you don't harm others)
    Forgive quickly (especially yourself)
    Kiss slowly
    Love truly
    Laugh uncontrollably

and never regret anything that made you smile

No re-rides at this rodeo

*now back to the OP.,...thanks Debs*
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Thanks Lori for clarifying things, you've hit the nail on the head

No where have I ever seen rules for crossdressing, I've seen advice, I've seen opinions, based on a particular persons perspective, but never hard and fast rules.

The only real rule I've ever had with my crossdressing is....If it feels good, do it!!!!

Hell, if there were hard and fast rules, I'd stop crossdressing in an instant, as rules take the fun factor out of everything!!

I'm sure we all have self imposed rules, put in place for our own reasons, but I for one, have never felt the need to push my rules onto anyone else!!
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 06-22-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post

We place ourselves in these "rules" things. Illegality aside (dirty bits) why do we need to place these rules? I will buy the time and place thing but it is MY decision what is the time and place. Show of hands here, who dresses to look like their 5th grade teacher?.....*now back to the OP.,...thanks Debs*
    To paraphrase...."First, you must be a CD for the CD'ers "rules" to apply ..... And second, the rules are more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."
    Last edited by kimdl93; 06-22-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: shortened quote

Lori and everybody,there are NO rules. The exception being that there are certain procedures in how to handle makeup so you do a good job and don't make a mess or the right ways to put on hosiery and lingerie so you don't tear em up and other things like putting on wigs and doing it right. A few little things like that. I was taught stuff like that by GG's who were close freinds. Anyway,I don't dress age apropriately. I am NOT altogether passable so I go for kind of a drag queen look. My latest aquisition is a custom made Ronnie Specter("Veronica" in the early sixties trio The Ronettes)wig which I ordered from fifi-mahony in New Orleans. I think I could be passable if I went for one of those CD makeovers which I may decide to do one of these days. There are no rules. And there shouldn't be any. I've seen some incredible wigs and outfits on LGBT and TG/TS/CD people and speaking as a CD if they ever create a rulebook for proper CD attire I will probably end up losing my copy in a gas station restroom.
    Last edited by Samantha B L; 06-22-2010 at 02:33 PM.

There are most definitely NO RULES. There are only social guidelines which in my opinion are bogus because society shouldnt really decide anything because it all comes from personal opinion.
    Being dressed up is much better if you have someone else to admire and enjoy it with you.

------------------------------------------------------
    If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
    - Alice Kingsley