Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Companies with policies allowing crossdressing on the job?

Companies with policies allowing crossdressing on the job?

I remember reading something a while back about a company that had a policy allowing people to present themselves as either gender on the job, without even becoming transgendered. I think it was a major financial company, but I can't seem to find it searching on google again.

Does anyone know which company or companies have this policy?

I used to work for a big, world-wide construction company that had a policy similar to that, But, you had to pick one gender and stick with it, no changing back and forth. You also had to be able to meet all the safety regulations, no dresses, sandals and the like on the job site.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    never heard about this policy!

I know we dont have it!

Maybe some school would have this policy for teachers. Women teachers can already wear almost anything male and no one says anything

My company has always been TG friendly and I love working there. Of course since I am self-employed, I am the only one working here, and we do not have any positions available at this time.

I have noticed that many of us fail to consider HR (human resource) areas when looking for legal/employment information. CD or otherwise...HR departments by nature, are always on top of the human and legal aspects of everything. They always have the most current information too.
    Here is a link to what I feel is the best "all around" resource
    for TG issues...
    http://www.hrc.org/index.htm

Just use the menu or site map to navigate.

Hope that helps...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wally world has a TG section in there appearance policy. I'll copy it down today and post later.

Kymmie
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

When I was working at GM, we had a guy that was transitioning. Wish he would have learned to do his makeup better. I tried to make a few suggestions, but his or her answer was what do you know about makeup? He and a lot of people would have been shocked...BJ

In NYC
    The Con. Edison company allow Gender crossdressing. But it must be full time . If a Male wants to dress as a female it is ok but must be full time so that there is no problems with other emply. Back and forth is not allowed. The company has an LGBT group that meets on company property.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    The {Canadian} organization I work for has no defined dress policy beyond that one must wear appropriate safety equipment if you happen to be one of the people who does work that requires it (I don't do any such work.) I did inquire about a year ago and was told that I could wear my choice of clothes, but they did ask for time to get things ready. I decided not to go ahead at the time for a couple of reasons.

Account is closed
    Why would you want to crossdress on the job? Such things are usually designed for us who are transitioning male to female or female to male, not for those who only want a part time experience.

Sorry, know that sounded cold but I think such things diminish the strides we are trying to make to have transgender equality and be taken with more respect.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/...Affinity_Group
    General Motors. I met a girl at a Tri-ess meeting in Michigan who was involved with the group and had a hand in writing some of the policy papers for GM Plus.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Anne View Post
    Why would you want to crossdress on the job? Such things are usually designed for us who are transitioning male to female or female to male, not for those who only want a part time experience.

Sorry, know that sounded cold but I think such things diminish the strides we are trying to make to have transgender equality and be taken with more respect.
    I have to disagree on that. I am transgender but (probably) not transsexual. Being seen as at least partly female is important to me, and it makes me ill to have to hide that part of me at work. Wearing the clothes (including forms) as much as practical is not the same as "transitioning" -- e.g., it wouldn't involve a name change or a legal gender marker change or FFS or SRS.

My being in-between genders with a clear female aspect is something that I am "full time", not just "when it is convenient to me". And my doing that at work would not in any way diminish the experience of transsexuals: if anything, it would pave the way for them, and even the rough spots would be "learning experiences" for the organization.

Are you assuming, Stephanie, that I would wear micro-mini's and towering heels and gaudy makeup? Because that isn't going to happen: I like dress-suits and skirt-suits and I'm not so comfortable with dresses or skirts that are less than half-way down to the knee. I've been wearing women's tops and bottoms to work for four years and never once has anyone even hinted that I've worn something immodest or "distracting".

While themed for TG, not CD, here is a good resource that lists companies, schools, medical policies...........

http://www.transgenderlaw.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrijerry View Post
    In NYC
    The Con. Edison company allow Gender crossdressing. But it must be full time . If a Male wants to dress as a female it is ok but must be full time so that there is no problems with other emply. Back and forth is not allowed. The company has an LGBT group that meets on company property.
    Do they also have a policy that if a female employee starts wearing skirts/dresses to work she must continue to do so and not wear pants to work again?

Being forced to express on gender alone is no better than being forced to express just a male gender. It's just a slightly different form of repression. Many transgender people, myself included, do not identify as female or male but as something inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    Do they also have a policy that if a female employee starts wearing skirts/dresses to work she must continue to do so and not wear pants to work again?
    Pants are gender neutral, apparently. Skirts aren't, yet.
    DonnaT

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    Pants aren't gender neutral. That's why they're sold in two separate sections: men's and women's.

And if pants were gender neutral, then MtFs wouldn't have any problem wearing men's pants.

That was just uncalled for. That is also BS and total crap. You are an arrogant person. Personally that elitist attitude is not helping "YOUR" cause. BTW it isn't just you "TS" people who think that you are the only ones in the world who have problems and issues.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    BTW it isn't just you "TS" people who think that you are the only ones in the world who have problems and issues.
    Let me help you narrow that down further: only MtF TS people have problems and issues.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Thanks, Ze and Lorileah! I know that we mere crossdressers couldn't possibly imagine the horrors that true transgender people face.

Sigh.

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Ze View Post
    Let me help you narrow that down further: only MtF TS people have problems and issues.
    You are correct Ze, my apologies. (not thinking clearly on that)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    umm, i think you will find they are not ALL gender neutral, thats why there are womens and mens sections, because the cut is different!...try taking a look at the differences one day...if that was the case you wouldn't need to wear women's pants to cross dress

I hate to rain on your parade, Jenn...

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/...Affinity_Group
    General Motors. I met a girl at a Tri-ess meeting in Michigan who was involved with the group and had a hand in writing some of the policy papers for GM Plus.
    ...but the cynic in me is inclined to believe that for GM to be reaching out to the GLBT community is less about the warm and fuzzies, and more about trying to make inroads into a still largely untapped market. And let's face it, most gay couples are DINKS (Double Income, No Kids) with plenty of disposable income to spend. That just makes the sellers of goods and services drool, even if they have to hold their noses in the process when their natural instincts are to disapprove of such lifestyles.

Of course, that applies primarily to gays and lesbians. We crossdressers, being heterosexual for the most part, in committed relationships with opposite-sex partners, and weighed down by families, kids, mortgages, university tuitions, and mounting credit debt etc. just like regular folks while at the same time fearing for our jobs because this nasty recession just won't go away, are already pretty maxxed out when it comes to our financial commitments .

That makes us a far less appealing target for spending advertising dollars on .

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    And let's face it, most gay couples are DINKS (Double Income, No Kids) with plenty of disposable income to spend.
    I could never really understand this stereotype. Sure, in a perfect world this would be the case, and indeed there are couples out there like this, but most LGB people I've known tend to have trouble finding/keeping jobs (just like trans people) if they're out. And sometimes couples can't be covered on each other's insurance, many want to adopt and raise families, etc...

Don't know and haven't asked but I think my company (water company) and union wouldn't take to kindly to it. Just the vibe that I get.
    [SIZE="3"]Kisses,
    Priscillia
    [/SIZE]

The avvy pic isn't me

Hmmm

That's alot of we's and us's, can't see how all of those are going to add up to transgender equality. Reading between the lines all i see is YOU.
    Didn't sound cold at all, ridiculous, but not cold. mj (Cassie)