I just finished writing about this on my blog, but I thought it was a cute story that might be enjoyed here too.

Just recently my parents came up and stayed with my wife and I for a few days in our Seattle area home before leaving on an Alaska cruise with friends. We always have a great time when they are here, and this time was no different. Since I've come out to them I think we all feel a lot closer.

Anyway, one of the things they both wanted to do was get a couple things to do one of those "formal" photos on the cruise. My dad found an old tux that he had dry cleaned, but my mom really needed a new dress. So we went out shopping. The only thing my dad needed was some new shoes, and my mom needed the dress. We found a beautiful dress for her at Nordstrom. We all fell in love with it instantly when we saw it. But my dad wasn't so lucky - he just couldn't find any shoes he liked.

We were in the parking lot, about to go to another store when he looked at my shoes (some newer Clarks) and said he'd love to find some like mine. So I just offered to let him borrow them if they fit - and they did. A little tight, but he loved them. We were all set!

When we got home my mom tried on her dress and it was gorgeous, but then she pulled out her shoes and they just didn't look as good as the dress did. (I think you know where this is going). So I slipped away and got some of my favorite black heels that have a peep-toe - wondering if they would fit her.

I brought them out and she swooned; she loved them. She tried them on and they not only fit her almost perfectly, but looked so pretty with her new dress. We fixed up the fit problem by adding some of those foam backs in the shoes. She looked so cute!

So they got back from the cruise and now we have this immortalized 'family photo' of my parents together; both wearing my shoes.

It's really funny to have this kind of family secret - and my parents got a real kick out of it too.