Thread: Life beyond the Drag Queen

Life beyond the Drag Queen

This forum has been a revelation for me, so many cross dressers who are real people. Drag Queens get all the attention, and it seemed to me that I was alone being just a plain old guy with a polite girl inside. When my friends see me as a girl, I'll inevitably get "Let's go to the Drag Show", and I reply "Cheeze, I f*king HATE drag queens". Always generates a huge round of guffaws, which is fun, but there's a thread of truth in it. (No no no, my Drag Queen girlfriends, I don't hate YOU. It's just that your drag shows make my brain hurt.) Blossom Dearie is my role model.

I suppose a show full of demure well-spoken and content cross dressers wouldn't make very profitable television, so Ru Paul and her cat fights will always win the masses' attention But there is no love there, only self promotion and phony ego pumping.

It's so nice to have found you all. Love is in the air, and you all express it so well.

Kisses, kisses, kisses,
    Trudy

8rys, going on walkabout
    I can agree with your viewpoint. I have performed in a few shows and the (no pun intneded) Drama queens back stage have made it less fun to even watch a drag show. I do still love a talented performer giving their all on stage, when you can tell they are having fun doing what they are doing. But their over the top attitudes can be abrasive.

As I came out to some of my friends, going to the drag show is their default activity if they go out with me. It is what they were comfortable doing since they haven't been exposed to what a(Media reference here) less pretentious crossdressing version of Fraiser might be like. The media paints CD's and drag queens in often the same Technocolor light. Despite the two often, being completely different.

I myself have had a hard time getting some of my friends to understand that I just want to go shopping, get a coffee or go to a movie. Rather than go to the LGBT bars or spend all night in a club.
    Last edited by Chloe Renee; 07-10-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy Woodbridge View Post
    This forum has been a revelation for me, so many cross dressers who are real people. Drag Queens get all the attention, and it seemed to me that I was alone being just a plain old guy with a polite girl inside. When my friends see me as a girl, I'll inevitably get "Let's go to the Drag Show", and I reply "Cheeze, I f*king HATE drag queens". Always generates a huge round of guffaws, which is fun, but there's a thread of truth in it. (No no no, my Drag Queen girlfriends, I don't hate YOU. It's just that your drag shows make my brain hurt.) Blossom Dearie is my role model.

I suppose a show full of demure well-spoken and content cross dressers wouldn't make very profitable television, so Ru Paul and her cat fights will always win the masses' attention But there is no love there, only self promotion and phony ego pumping.

It's so nice to have found you all. Love is in the air, and you all express it so well.

Kisses, kisses, kisses,
    Trudy
    I feel ya gurl! Not only do I find most drag performers/shows boring, they're offensive to my sensibilities. Why is it that most of them find it necessary to be so garish, vulgar, narcissistic and LOUD? And am I the only one that thinks the lip-synching and gymnastics are ridiculous? Maybe so, cuz the crowds seem to luv em. Go figure.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Oh come ON!

How many of u would pay to see a show where a modestly dressed CD gets on stage and talks about shopping for a new dress or putting on her makeup?

Yeah. You'd go ONCE maybe! But, regular folks wouldn't and even U probably wouldn't pay to see her AGAIN!

It IS unfortunate that the media and public concentrate their attention on THAT type of CD. But, it's important to understand that "man bites dog" makes the evening news. Rather than the OTHER way around!

My personal belief is;
    MANY of us would LOVE to appear on stage dressed outragiously! If ONLY we had the LOOKS, FIGURE, and PERSONALITY to carry an audience!

I certainly would! If ONLY ONCE!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    How many of u would pay to see a show where a modestly dressed CD gets on stage and talks about shopping for a new dress or putting on her makeup?

Yeah. You'd go ONCE maybe! But, regular folks wouldn't and even U probably wouldn't pay to see her AGAIN!

It IS unfortunate that the media and public concentrate their attention on THAT type of CD. But, it's important to understand that "man bites dog" makes the evening news. Rather than the OTHER way around!

My personal belief is;
    MANY of us would LOVE to appear on stage dressed outragiously! If ONLY we had the LOOKS, FIGURE, and PERSONALITY to carry an audience!

Ouch. I think you missed my point. I'm just happy to find a group of real people.

Also, there is certainly more than one way to carry an audience. Many do, and don't need to resort to obnoxiously ****ty lip sync. I think music videos are killing music, convincing people that you can get away with just faking it. So few people really try for the real thing anymore. Compare a show by a real performer vs. a lipsyncer. Well, you can't really.

Shun corporate genetically modified entertainment! Support home-grown organic crunchy-style performers! Grow your own talent!

Oh you come on. Surely you understand that there are more options than the two extremes. Actually, your example is pretty ridiculous.

My personal belief is;

And more power to you, sincerely. Outrageous in general, and certainly drag queen outrageous, is just not my cup of tea.

I was at a club recently and a very butch but very nice lesbian struck up a conversation with me and told me that I was her favorite "drag queen" because I'm "so real". (By the way, I've heard her sing before on karaoke night and she is incredible -- actually has real talent.) I appreciated the compliment and didn't bother to correct her terminology, but I did find the implied commentary on stereotype noteworthy. And fwiw, I've never performed in a drag show, or dressed up like a drag queen, in my life.

Most drag shows are really high camp entertainment. You need a good sense of humor to appreciate them.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I'm not over the top enough for some tastes to meet all the requirements to call myself a CD and I'm neither flamboyant nor rich enough to compete with the queens. What I am is me, and happy to be that and here as well.

Sherry has a point about the media, "man in electric pink t-shirt and nails buys girl scout cookies" was enough to garner some nervous laughter from the supervising moms but lost out in the news that night to "man robs bank while dressed in womens clothing."

I'm with you on the music videos too. I like a lot of Madonna's music but don't care to watch many of her videos. A friend of mine used to watch what he called the "uh" women; Paula, Mariah and Madonna. More often than not he'd watch them with the sound off.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]To me, watching Drag Queens perform is a lot like watching TV Wrestling. I've met a couple of terrific Drag Queens who are genuinely wonderful people with an amazing sense of style. And a few I didn't care for at all.

Trudy's point, of course, is that she's really happy to have found a place like this inhabited by a bunch of semi-well adjusted CD's like us. Me too. Thanks for reminding me Trudy.
    [/SIZE]

Gold Member
    I am not into drag shows but I can appreciate the level of effort, I mean those girls are busting their ASSES to entertain a crowd.

Some here are CD, some TS, we have had a few drag queens,
    and then there is something exclusive - Me. I am the forum Trahnny.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    [SIZE=3]To me, watching Drag Queens perform is a lot like watching TV Wrestling.[/SIZE]
    Lol. That's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    [SIZE=3]I've met a couple of terrific Drag Queens who are genuinely wonderful people with an amazing sense of style. And a few I didn't care for at all.[/SIZE]
    One of my oldest and best TG friends is a drag performer, a real sweetheart. At the same time, the snootiest, even hateful, treatment I have experienced has consistently come from drag queens, and what they think they have to feel superior about is absolutely beyond me. I wouldn't trade places with them for all the sweaty dollar bills in the joint.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I hear ya, Trudy! It's so nice to find a bunch of people here that don't fit the normal - or even the world's - stereotypes of who they think we should be. It's nice to have an intelligent conversation with people of like minds. Glad you're here!

Kathi

Smile

When I was young I went to a lot of drag shows always had a good time. But they the drag queens did a lot if fighting. Kind of killed the shows a little. I've been to some professional drag shows they are great. Every one has there thing. So just enjoy it.

People like Dame Edna do a great job, I can't be bothered by it at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~Michelle~

I have welcomed new members, I have help people with issues, I have complimented people, have never tried to be the center of attention, yet except for 2 members I have never received any appreciation either by message or friend request. Members who don't have a photo to show, have never received similar appreciation either. Nobody has ever welcomed me, helped me or complimented me except for 2. I'm disappointed, I have no other choice but to leave.