Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is crossdressing socially acceptable to you?

To me its perfectly socially acceptable and I am completely comfortable with it. I honestly don't care how someone else dresses, as long as they are happy dressing that way. I don't see how it is anyone else's business other than the individual.
    Last edited by Cait; 07-22-2010 at 06:59 PM.

I think this is one of the most awesome posts I've read!
    "Where's the beer?" ROFL

I have worked hard to accept myself as I am... and I have a ways to go. Of course I also worked on accepting, socially and politically, crossdressing and transgenders in the larger society. I am more at ease advocating this in my male self for others. Yet I still feel I supress myself out of fear when with others on the issue... "Coming out to oneself" is often the biggest issue for a CD/TG/TS.... loving onself as one is can be difficult, and this is my work. I have a fully accepting and encouraging wife... I am blessed...
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

Do as I say not as I do?

You ask do I find it socially acceptable; answer yes. I don’t feel that what I/we do is wrong or immoral. It causes no-one physical harm; we don’t steal or damage property. It’s not the intention to cause distress to others. So why should it be socially unacceptable.
    Quandary for me is I’m a closet dresser. True I’ve ventured out on a few occasions but generally it’s behind closed doors. My issue is whether family and fiends see it that way. Perhaps the question should be, Do you want it to be socially acceptable?

Aspiring Member

Tell me again... Who forbids what?

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    MK, I'm not exactly sure why you posted the question. Like any other generally 'forbidden' activity, you will have a bell curve of opinions about it being acceptable or not. Some are o.k., some are indifferent, some hate it. I'm fine with who I am, but I know very well that there are a lot of so called 'normal' folks out there that would just as soon see me dead rather than interact with me. Now then...

Sometimes Miss,

Bell curves come in different shapes and sizes. Not all are perfect inverted "u"s.

It seems there are some "all the time" posters on this forum, some "often" posters, some occasional posters, and, tons of readers. For most, it could be a simple thing to answer and thus an easy post to make. I'm not sure if I would weight an, "almost never poster," more heavily than an, "all the time" poster, but it seems a thing to consider.

In any case, depending on how you want to graph the data, I expect the "bell curve" you speak of could be sharply up at one end or the other, but there will probably be no "high acceptance" hill in the middle. It would not surprise me to see some responses that pushed the line below - into negative numbers - at one point or another.

If responses here match what I've seen, "in the wild," there are and will be very few CDers who accepting of themselves, much less others. Putting on a dress doesn't make you a better person if all you do is put on a dress, then hide it again. And, what doesn't make you a better person, probably doesn't improve things for anyone else.

And, that's an interesting thing to prove out. CDing might be more acceptable socially - if CDers were more accepting of themselves.

Society, after all, is us too.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Debutante View Post
    I have worked hard to accept myself as I am... and I have a ways to go.
    "Coming out to oneself" is often the biggest issue for a CD/TG/TS.... loving oneself as one is can be difficult, and this is my work.
    I fully understand where you are at - it took me about 45 years to learn to accept myself and I am still trying to learn to love the real me after spending so long disliking the sham that was my old self.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    CDing might be more acceptable socially - if CDers were more accepting of themselves.
    There's the rub. We've been conditioned for so long that the only "acceptable" gender expression is whatever matches our anatomical gender, that it is very difficult for some of us to accept who we are.

Once I got over that hurdle, I found other people were able to accept me too.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

gurlz want it alll! dresser1974's Avatar

Smile

who I am is a male that dresses in female clothes not for kicks or sexual just because i feel more comfortable in female clothes. Yes i do find it sociallt acc I just wish more would come out and wear proud.

Being a cd and an avid bondage fan I say "whatever floats your boat". It's more socially accepted to me now than when I was a teenager. I was having a hard time trying to figure out why I not only liked to wear women's clothing but also why I liked to tie up women! And the worse part was I had nobody to talk to about any of this.
    And now here it is years later, having met a lot of wonderful people in both worlds I can honestly say yes. It would NOT bother me seeing another sister dressed walking down the street. I would in fact envy her because she has the courage that I lack. I can only be out and about with a group. I don't dare go alone right now.
    -Audrey

Two ways to think about this:

1) Cross dressing is acceptable behavior to me because I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as I don't force myself on other people or whatever..

2) Cross dressing isn't acceptable by way of myself being in the closet.. Fear of discovery and any repercussions keeps me from truly accepting myself as viable entity of mind.. out of my mind?? DEFINITELY..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    S,
    Is crossdressing, by yourself and others, fine with you?
    Is the Pope a Catholic?
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Saskatchewan, Middle of the Canadian Prairies
    I do feel very guilty at times about crossdressing as I was raised in a fundamentalist christian home. Hard to shake a lot of that upbringing. I am getting better at accepting myself this way and I do enjoy dressing and most of the time do not understand why I cannot just go out in a dress whether trying to pass as a woman or not, but simply as a man in a pretty dress.
    My Father is male, my Mother is female that makes me 50/50!

Of course its ok to be who you are in public. A smile & sexy wink goes a long way to win over skeptics if ever you're outed on a bad hair day. Anyways...who the hell are they to judge you or me? A whole lotta nothin & nobody, that's who. So don't worry. Viva la CD & Viva la TG M2F Lez! Woohoo babe!

Even before I accepted that I like to cross-dress, I never begrudged anyone else that right. I was never one who tried to compensate for the fact that I was suppressing it by cracking jokes when I saw a cross-dresser out in public. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I'll even be more likely (though not guaranteed) to defend a cross-dresser's right to do so as they wish.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Oscar Wilde