Thread: College and Crossdressing

College and Crossdressing

So I'm going to be attending Kent State University soon, and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience in college with crossdressing and acceptance on university campuses, with KSU specifically in mind. Any help would be great.

Thanks!
    Michelle

I don't have experience with it myself. But I was in college with someone who was openly gay (I know, it's not the same, but it's also something people still aren't completely comfortable with) and I think the main reason why everyone accepted him and liked him was because he had this sense of humor about him being gay.

I'm not saying that you should let yourself be ridiculed. But being open about yourself with a sense of humor will make you more likable, and therefore more acceptable.

again, I do not have any experience with it, just my 2cents. But I'm sure there are others here with experience.

Most Universities have a LGBT department/hotline...Found an old calendar which had a Trans event listed...Might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they are still active.

http://dept.kent.edu/stuorg/pride/calendar/calendar.htm

When I was in college in southern Illinois, people there were pretty open minded. Punk rockers, hippies, openly gay folks, people just did their own thing and it seemed to be accepted. I don't remember seeing any crossdressers but I assume they could have just gone about their business, maybe gotten a few strange looks but that's it.

Note that I graduated from college over twenty years ago. I assume things are even more liberal now. The college crowd in general just seems to be more accepting of those who are different.

Christine

About 20 years ago (...damn, I'm that old already?) I was going to college in Connecticut, and I remember seeing a poster on a bulletin board for a transgender/crossdresser ball at University of New Haven ( not my school) . I regretted not going because at that time I was so deeply in the closet, and ashamed in spite of the fact that I dressed androgynously as I possibly could. My halr was going beyond my shoulders, yet I could not face the fact that my parents were paying tuition for a guy who wanted to wear a dress.

The thing is, when you're that age, you often want to be accepted by the group, and you conform to everyone else's standard, and you lack the courage to be yourself, which is a mistake. My mistake.

As an old Golden Flash, I don't think it will be accepted very well in this part of the country, especially at a large university. Good Luck!
    [SIGPIC]

I attended college nearly everday wearing my leggings and a nice sweater or shirt.

Sometimes I went in makeup less Goth mode, and one time around halloween I wore a skirt.

IT WAS GREAT and I miss those days.

Hi, im in the same boat as you
    but idk how acceptive college students are going to be.

My advice would be just go and see what the environment is
    and that will tell you wether you want your other side to come out.

This might be a good place to start...

Kent State opens new LBGTQ student center
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/289611

Good Luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lets see...college in Colorado 35 years ago...nobody cared then...bet nobody still does! (course at 6' and 140 pounds I didn't look much like a guy anyway...)

Jenn

I don't know about Kent State, but I dressed en femme for most of my college days.. There were a few idiots, but I had fun for the most part. And I went to three different CSU's before I graduated. Nothing worse than a little occasional razzing. I did get my butt kicked once by two guys, but I don't think it was so much because i was dressed as it was not knowing when to keep my mouth shut...

Kel
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Aspiring Member
    I was in college recently. People will notice a guy in girls clothing and they will talk about it. But they won't hassel you. Avoid the areas where the low lifes hang out because they are more likely to cause problems.
    It's also a good way to start a conversation with women.

I didn't open dress out at school, just behind closed doors in dorms. But if you meet the right girls they tend to find it facinating.

all i can say is

be careful.

Most colleges are accepting of various life styles. Kent State has got to be more liberal than Bob Jones University. For entertainment wear your sexiest outfit and apply to join ROTC.

Silver Member
    Of course schools will vary, but if you are discovered, especially if you live on campus, they can cause you a lot of grief. While one might think college kids are more liberal, there are plenty of immature males in college who might hassle someone who is different (especially after they have had some liquid courage.) Remember, you can't "untell" someone. Be careful who you know your secret.

I was once in this situation, I did not dress and go around campus but a few close friends knew and were ok with it, and I would go out dressed in a nearby town. I wanted to go to class dressed sometimes, but I decided it wasn't worth the possible harassment (especially being stuck there for years.) I also am amazed how some were able to attend classes completely en femme, I assume they were very large schools? My classes were small enough the professors knew everyone by name, and they took attendance each time and called on us by name; there would have been a surprise if a "new person" suddenly showed up in class one day.

Being on a college campus as faculty, my advice is to try to be more of "you" early in the school year with your roommates and classmates. There is an identity process that all freshman go through and changing that identity is sometime harder than being it to begin with. Wearing something a tad feminine to bed rather than boxers might be a start, or having your nails nicely trimmed and polished, but not necessarily bright red might be some steps. Our GLBT group is not super active but it is a place where a good number of supportive students and faculty meet. My guess is that it will be easier than you think, but there are always jerks on any campus.
    Kristen

Michelle,

Check Kent State University for a transgender club or social network. Most state universities have organizations to prevent student discrimination.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tranny Tee View Post
    Most colleges are accepting of various life styles. Kent State has got to be more liberal than Bob Jones University. For entertainment wear your sexiest outfit and apply to join ROTC.
    Hun, you just made my YEAR!

Not that I would actually do that, however fun and tempting it might be, I just wanna thank all of you for all your help. I'm going to postpone my enrollment for another semester so I can get in-state tuition because it's less loans I have to take out, but I'm definitely gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm not too sure about life on campus because I have an apartment in a bus ride away, but I'm definitely gonna seek out any other GLBT groups on campus ahead of time and scout out the area a bit first. No point in unnecessary risk. Especially not in the legal field.

I work at Minnesota State University, Mankato and we have a very trans-friendly campus. When I started my transition the campus community came out in support. Since then I have found there has been a number of people who have transitioned and as of this time we have a student transexual female also. Carmen and I have been in contact and tomorrow night she has invited me to a makeup party. I hope that helps you. Hugs Teri

Well, i got in touch with a TG over at Kent who's willing to show me around. He's gonna give me the tour of the school and show me where not to hang out and stuff. But according to him, it's cool at Kent with the exception of the a**holes you have anywhere in the country. But at worst, the most I'm looking forward to negatively is some dirty looks or snide comments... something I'm used to anyway.

So yay! looks like I should get my fafsa done soon!

I was going to say, Kent state is one of the best schools you can attend and be ok being you in public. There are ALLOT of openly Tg people there, and allot of TG friendly places to hang out there. I know this thanks to some friends I know who were at peace with who they are WAY before I even thought about coming to terms with it. I was in denial for WAY too long. sigh, I wish now I would have come to grips with it at such a young age. at 40 it's much harder. and I still dont know any more than I did at 20 about myself. sigh... so I will not say good luck, or be careful, I will say HAVE FUN!
    Even if you ARE the sharpest tool in the shed, your still a tool.

nathaliex66 i am from connicticut and most of the colleges here have some sort of gay lesbian trans place meeting hall the college you mention still has it my best friend brother is gay and crossdresses went there completly dress as a women even caryied a coach purse he said he thinkl the real girls were jealous ok later samantha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member Sasha Anne Meadows's Avatar
    The college here has an annual drag show. Some of the guys like it wayyyyy too much.