Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's YOU?!

That's YOU?!

So today was one of the few where I spent it working in the office. I got a good look at myself in the mirror and decided that I had been neglecting my male side and was in bad need of a haircut, so off I went to "Fantastic Sams" to get one. As I walked in the door, I noticed it said "Facial Waxing" and purely on the spur of the moment, I asked the woman working there if you had to make an appointment for getting your eyebrows waxed or if she could do it now. She looked at me for half a second and assured me that she would be happy to do it now if I liked, and of course the next thing that she wants to know is what shape I want. I figured 'what the hell, lets tell the truth' and took out my all time favorite self pic and showed it to her:

"Well, this is how I look half of the time. Can you do something that would be kind of a happy medium and look good for this look and still be acceptable for this look?" I asked, pointing at the photo and then at myself.
    I swear her jaw literally dropped as she looked at me and then the pic.
    "That's YOU?!" she asked with a shocked tone of voice and an odd smile on her face.
    "I know, hard to believe huh?!" I said with a laugh. "So what do ya' think, can you do a happy medium?"
    "Of course I can!" she said, now with a huge smile. She grabbed my hand and took me over to her station and started to look at my eyebrows.
    "You know, they're really not that bad!" she said, but then continued. "But you did make it kind of straight and flat. We've gotta put some arch in there!"
    "Well see, there ya have it! That's why I came to a professional!" I told her with a wink.

The thing I enjoyed the most was that she honestly seemed delighted with the entire concept! I gave her a $10 tip and got her name so that I don't have to explain it all again to another stylist. I'm already thinking that the next time, we'll go a little more dramatic.

Priceless Kimberly, finding a stylist like that. You'll have to report back how the arch is playing out in guy mode.

(memo to file...yet another task for the list to keep that elephant in the room singing loudly)

BTW, cute photo, I can see why it's a fav of yours!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Yes, Kim. Dramatic! Dramatic good! Let's hear it for the arch! Arches good! Flat bad.

Kathi

Misses Member, Not Junior CallMeMeg's Avatar
    I really should do that. I have my brows (and neck) waxed when I have my hair cut at the local haircuttery (we can't all see Fantastic Sam) and last time the girl must've thought "guybrows" instead of "eyebrows" and left me with a brow below my brow bone. I don't think it looked good for a guy, and it definitely didn't make me happier about my upcoming "flying pretty" episode. It didn't stop it though.

By the way Kimberly ~ thank you for showing me that it Can Be Done. I had a great experience flying to Kansas! It's all in http://youCanCallMeMeg.blogspot.com.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeMeg View Post
    . . . By the way Kimberly ~ thank you for showing me that it Can Be Done. I had a great experience flying to Kansas! It's all in http://youCanCallMeMeg.blogspot.com.
    Good for you Meg! The flying girls club is growing and growing!

I would love to have my brows waxed. Unfortunately, that's something that I will likely on ever dream of having done!

Aspiring Member
    Kim, I like that picture of you to no end. You look gorgeous in it.

Good on you Kim ! I did have my brows done on a regular basis, but have not been to a salon in awhile.

Kim that is great news and she is right, you are very attractive. We all need a little help once in awhile and they love working with us. We know what we want and we are generous. LOL

I just had my eyebrows done last week. I didn't put much arch in them but after my flight to Chicago then a little arch. Plus a little swagger if I don't wimp out of flying to Chicago en femme.
    Michelle

I need to do something with my eyebrows as I feel that they are one big "tell" on me when dressed. Isn't fun when you can shock someone with your pics?

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    But Kimberly, what about the "guy" trim??..... Was it "OBE'd" by the waxing?....

I would get mine waxed, but... sigh... have to be careful... and that might be too much of a giveaway.

It is no big deal!!

Show your girl pic [I use my state ID card]and tell her you want a "middle of the road" arch...Get em waxed..only takes a few minutes.AND PEOPLE ARE COOL WITH US!! No big thing...just vanity..It is a whole lot better than plucking and WE ALL LIKE THE ATTENTION! I pay 10 and tip 5..WIN WIN!

Thumbs up

yeah thats how i started my manis and pedis.then eyebrow waxing.now every body in the spa asks me every time now(did you bring any new photos?)they all love jenifer.its great i even chat with the other ladies who are getting stuff done.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Wow Kim

I think we must be related. Your avatar looks just like me sister.

BTW I get my brows waxed as well as those pesky over-50 male ear hairs. I HATE catching a view of errant ear hairs in the mirror in or out of femme mode.

Gold Member
    What a great experience Kim, and you DO look awesome in that photo. No wonder her jaw dropped!

Hi Kim! Funny you posted this... I JUST got my eyebrows threaded today! And yes, I told the lady to make sure that there's "more arch" on it Glad to read your eyebrow waxing went well! It's so awesome isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    You'll have to report back how the arch is playing out in guy mode.
    I now have unmistakably female eyebrows, lol, thin, arched, ect.

And I can tell you that even when I'm reluctantly out as him I get nothing negative at all. most people dont even notice.

I would advise to do it a lil at a time if you have big bushy man brows though, lol.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    [SIZE="2"]Yes, Kim. Dramatic! Dramatic good! Let's hear it for the arch! Arches good! Flat bad.

Kathi[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rogina garter View Post
    I pay 10 and tip 5..WIN WIN!
    [SIZE="2"]Hold the phone!!! You pay like $10 and a $5 tip??? Holy Chihuahua! I pay like $20!!! Plus $10 for tinting, plus a tip!!!

What is average for eyebrow waxing?

BTW Kimberly, that is a great photo of you! You look gorgeous! Great uh ... great hair! Great uh ... eyes! Great uh ... great uh ... rack![/SIZE]
    Last edited by Nigella; 07-27-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Kim...I did the same thing with my tech at Ulta when I went there to get my brows waxed although I had been there before for a makeover...and I got the same response...got to love it.

I've also done that in a few other situations as well...clothing stores etc and it's all been very positive responses...they seem to do the quizical look and then see the pictures and the mouth drops and once they see it's really the "one and the same" they get juiced up to work on you...not sure why but that seems the case...maybe we become their new adult version "barbi doll" and they get to dress us up...LOL

But it's a blast needless to say....
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

Wow Kimberly...vavavoom...that is a very pretty photo!!

I'm glad you had a great experience!

Misses Member, Not Junior CallMeMeg's Avatar
    Kimberly, I did want to say that I almost didn't fly because of you. I saw your flickr albums. No-one would ever question you!

For fun, I showed some of the pictures to people in the office and said it was my "friend from Texas". Comments ranged from "she's very pretty" to "does she ever visit you?"

Silver Member
    WOW - Kimberly, my jaw dropped too when I saw your favorite pic! All your other pics were great, but your fav one is super hot! I too found a wonderful understanding hair stylist that has given me more of a feminine image with a different flexible hairstyle and waxed-trimmed thinner brows. Did it all slowly, without negative comments about my new look!! Once you get your brows to a comfortable/acceptable shape, a little weekly clean up is all that is needed. Enjoy your new look!

I trim my brows when shaving, But the thing that got my attention was a few weeks ago I was in a locale Mall and a ladie was doing a guys eyebrows using a method called string trimming, she would put thread in her hands and mouth then shape the brows, I was mesmerized by this and wished it was me, maybe I'll get it done someday, Has anyone else seen this being done???? Charolette