Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Close for Comfort

Hi Michelle,

.[QUOTEI learned my lesson of not telling. I find telling early allows the person to decide quickly before they feel trapped. Even when we wait to make sure that the person is the one we want to tell, we must realize how the woman feels. It must be a terrible feeling to love someone and find out something this big. Then the woman feels trapped into accepting something which she can't do. That isn't fair to her because she tries so hard to accept and sometimes the truth is that she can't. She has committed so much time and energy and most of all her heart to this relationship. We have such a tendency to look at it from our perspective and ignore the woman's pain. Not everyone can accept our cd'ing, but we have to respect them regardless of the outcome. I personally feel showing the understanding of their feelings early allows them to see things clearer and improves your chances of them accepting][/QUOTE]

This is obviously your call and you know the details and parties involved better than any of us BUT I would make the case that your experience or my experience in when/how to tell are only single observations and each one is likely to be different, as different people are involved. I'm not negating the pain a woman feels when her man comes out as a CD but the fact is we don't know how your friend will react and that's why it's a dilemma for you.

Plus you get extra brownie points when they feel that you are so honest that you would risk everything to tell them this secret which could cost you so much.
    You said it right there, you're risking a lot. Are you willing to lose it all, her and the business etc because that is truly what's at risk here. I know this is hard and you want to do the right thing by her and for you. Just don't want to see you hurt emotionally and financially. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    If it goes through then I will be working with her a lot. Very bad situation because if I blow it, it could cause an uncomfortable work environment. The other part is what bothers me the most. If I can't be honest with her then I have no business being with her.
    The risk then isn't whether you should tell her about the CDing or not, but whether you should mix business with a personal relationship. What if you weren't a CD, it never crossed your mind ... then you begin a love affair with her, the business deal goes through, she's your main contact, and a few months later the relationship falls apart for any number of non-CD reasons.

What then? Could you continue to work with an ex-lover? Maybe there's a good reason behind the adage that you shouldn't mix business with pleasure, regardless of whether or not you CD.

It's a tough one Michelle. It's too bad she has to be the main contact.

But if you're OK with the possibility of working with an ex-lover, if you think you could still be friends should the relationship fall through, then the added knowledge that you CD isn't much of an added issue, is it? Take your time, get to know her character, her value system, and then decide whether you want to begin a relationship.

Or rather, the two of you should discuss the wisdom of entering a relationship together given the business connection. Would she be OK continuing to work with you if the relationship should fall apart? Is she pragmatic? Emotionally mature? Easy going? Have that conversation with her first, and then you'll be in a better position to know whether you should even go for it, before you talk about the CDing.

If you both weigh the risk of having it not work out and continuing to work together, then chances are she'll respect your privacy about a number of things should you break up, including your intimate lives together and the CDing.
    Last edited by ReineD; 07-28-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Reine

Take a leap of faith.

Tell her.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    Given that you have "recently met" but get along great is there any horrible consequence to you to simply building a solid friendship over the next year or so?

Give your business the time required to seal the deal and give both of you time to cultivate your blossoming friendship, to get to know one another via the business? Maybe an easy opportunity will present itself in the future and you will have less to lose...or the opportunity to know she would not be interested and you will have lost nothing.

Hope that you find the right path

Take it slow

Hi!
    I have read all of the ideas so far and can not get past the fact that you have so much to lose if you rush to tell her. I agree with all of the folks who have advised waiting until the business deal is done. I also agree that you don't know her well enough to trust her with the most private aspects of your life. I like the idea of explaining the underarms as a medical thing.
    Please put yourself first and save her the trauma of having to decide if she is going to tell the other people involved in your business.
    Good luck,
    Hugs,
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl James View Post
    Unless we are lucky to have found that one in a million person, are we doomed to never have a significant female in our lives?
    I don't think the odds are that great. I think many women are more accepting when they see the trust from you early on. I think the main problem we have with women has to do with betrayal and trust issues because we never told them. It is like having an affair only we are the other woman. It takes a long time for them to begin to understand and the biggest issue is they always wonder if there isn't more since we hid this from them. Trust suffers and they are left wondering what else we aren't telling them. If I could go back in time, that is the one thing I would change in my marriage. We may never have gotten married but if getting married to her was fate then maybe the problems that came from loss of trust would never happen. We might still be happily married today.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    What then? Could you continue to work with an ex-lover? Maybe there's a good reason behind the adage that you shouldn't mix business with pleasure, regardless of whether or not you CD.
    I could work with an ex-lover, but that isn't the question. Can she work with me later on? I made a terrible mistake by asking her out the first time. Now instead of just having a business relationship, I have to decide what is the next step. I thought about the what if tonight about not being a cd'er. Like you said the problem would still be there, but I wouldn't be afraid of her running off. If she lived nearby, then I might roll the dice and tell her and see if things could work. But now all of this is on top of 763 miles apart. I have a little more time to decide, but I am definitely leaning toward backing out of the relationship. Whether that is a little white lie to keep her from coming to Denver or something else. She needs to stay where she is if I'm not willing and prepared to be 100% honest with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    Take a leap of faith.

Tell her.
    You are just another hopeless romantic. That is my weakness as well. I would love to take that chance. I am just not ready for everyone in my business circle to know that I crossdress. Although it would probably explain a lot to many of them. In fact the women I talked to today would understand a lot of things that I have said recently about having a GNO plus one guy. I plan on going to Seattle sometime later this year and they all want to go out when I get there.

P.S. There is one major problem with not telling her until after the business deal goes through. Business deals can just as well sour and dissolve leaving me with nothing. Either I plan on telling her regardless or I need to let her go.
    Last edited by AKAMichelle; 07-28-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Michelle

"Never give bullets to a person with a gun that has the potential to shoot you."

Mixing relationships with business results in what pharmaceutical companies call "potentiation".

Big head on shoulders is used 8am-6pm to earn money.
    Little head in pocket is used 6:01pm to 7:59am for fun.
    Hotel conference rooms are for business.
    Hotel rooms are for fun, and naps.

I had a similar situation when I moved from Dallas to Denver. I met my friend every other week in a DoubleTree in Dallas. Her boyfriend was head of SWAT in DFW and a heavy drinker (typical). I blindfolded her in lobby and removed it when she got inside room.

No regrets for that wisdumb....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adding my two cents.

Finish the business deal, so you are set. Keep the relationship as it is now. Good conversation, getting to understand and know one another, but not completely yet. When the deal is finished and your life is solid you can then advance it, if the desire is still there.

A little patience is what you need to do now. Good luck

I thought about the what if tonight about not being a cd'er. Like you said the problem would still be there, but I wouldn't be afraid of her running off
    Would you consider it not being 100% open if you quit CDing and never mentioned it to her that you ever did? Just a thought.

I'm saddened that you might just break off the relationship that could have potential - for both of you. Any options of her leaving her part of the partnership (being bought out or whatever)?

rain...parade time

You worry about if it doesn't go well and your dressing becomes and issue, but in essence you are "fishing off the company pier" and even if the dressing is never addressed....you are risking her sabotaging it if the romance doesn't go well. So the risk is mute. If you really like her and plan to have a relationship, then you need to tell. The downside, in my opinion, won't be any worse than if you just have a bad breakup. But you have to take risks to get reward. I'd go for it
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    If I can't be honest with her then I have no business being with her.

I learned my lesson of not telling. I find telling early allows the person to decide quickly before they feel trapped.
    I respect your position on the telling/hiding question but does she already know absolutely everything else there ever could be to know about you? If not, then you are not deceiving her by introducing it at a later stage in the process of telling her about yourself. Relationships are about learning to know the other person - not about telling it all in one go. It seems to me that you do not know enough about her to decide that it is time for her to know this about you. I may be talking out of the wrong orifice, but take time to get to know her and her feelings / likes / dislikes.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Just be open and honest with her. You have a perfect opportunity here and you would not be fair to eitheer her or yourself if you didn't take it. If you lose her then it wasn't meant to be and you will have saved you both a lot of heartache further down the line. BUT!! If she is alright with it then you can have a very happy life. Believe me, it's tried and tested.
    Samantha.

Samantha K
    It's so hard being me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]Now I shout it from the highest hill,
    Even told the golden daffodil.
    At last my hearts an open door,
    And my secret love's no secret anymore.
    [/SIZE]

See Sams pics at;
    http://cid-b4480c99b9b4cdd9.skydrive...e.aspx?lc=1033

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    You worry about if it doesn't go well and your dressing becomes and issue, but in essence you are "fishing off the company pier" and even if the dressing is never addressed....you are risking her sabotaging it if the romance doesn't go well. So the risk is mute.
    That is as big a thought because the same outcome could come if you things didn't work out. This and 763 miles are the 2 items which bothers me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    I respect your position on the telling/hiding question but does she already know absolutely everything else there ever could be to know about you? If not, then you are not deceiving her by introducing it at a later stage in the process of telling her about yourself. Relationships are about learning to know the other person - not about telling it all in one go. It seems to me that you do not know enough about her to decide that it is time for her to know this about you. I may be talking out of the wrong orifice, but take time to get to know her and her feelings / likes / dislikes.
    No I don't know everything about her and vica versa, but if the relationship is built on keeping secrets then it will fail or be the kind of relationship that I refuse to have. If honesty can't be achieved, then you don't need to be there. As you can tell, I learned that lesson well.

P.S. It really hurts that you have to protect yourself this much about being a cd'er. I have thought about the day that everyone would know. It doesn't bother me as much, but the damage could ripple down to my kids which still depend on me. So I have to protect them more than myself.
    Michelle

Hi Michelle im in the same situation at the moment, im seeing a girl at the moment who i love very much she lives about an hours drive away. We spend every weekend together. she doesnt know about my cding but when she stays at my place Cherie gets packed away in a locked box for a few days.I know my lady suspects im different but when the time is right she will know its been this way for three years now .you dont have to rush it if she is worth holding onto you will have plenty of time to tell her. hope all goes well

For what it's worth...I keep business....business and personal....personal ! I find if I mix the two I get in trouble. Second, a long distance romance is difficult at its best.

It seems that everyone else has the important stuff covered so I'll just say this: Shaving your underarms actually keeps down on body odor. Thus not needing to poison your body with the chemicals in deodorant as much. My grandmother got me into that when I was young as puberty was cruel to me.
    My love is god; let's go get a slushie . . .

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    No I don't know everything about her and vica versa, but if the relationship is built on keeping secrets then it will fail or be the kind of relationship that I refuse to have.
    If you look again, you will see that I did not advocate dishonesty, merely choosing the right time to tell her that you cross-dress.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

if the relationship is built on keeping secrets then it will fail or be the kind of relationship that I refuse to have.
    Hi Michelle,

I guess I think that picking a later, more appropriate time to tell her is NOT the same thing as a relationship built on secrets. That kind of makes CDing or the deception of it, the centerpiece of your relationship. As Rianna says, there can be a better time than now to bring this up. Also, read the post by Giorgi in the Intro section -being forthcoming about our CDing does not, by any stretch of the imagination, guarantee acceptance or even a good outcome at all. Even with all the good intentions.

Interestingly, by breaking off the relationship, aren't you admitting that you won't be honest with her - something that you've said is important to you. If she really cares about you and you about her, breaking off the relationship could also be pretty traumatic. As my wife likes to say "life is messy."

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Misery View Post
    Hi Michelle,

I guess I think that picking a later, more appropriate time to tell her is NOT the same thing as a relationship built on secrets. That kind of makes CDing or the deception of it, the centerpiece of your relationship. As Rianna says, there can be a better time than now to bring this up. Also, read the post by Giorgi in the Intro section -being forthcoming about our CDing does not, by any stretch of the imagination, guarantee acceptance or even a good outcome at all. Even with all the good intentions.

Interestingly, by breaking off the relationship, aren't you admitting that you won't be honest with her - something that you've said is important to you. If she really cares about you and you about her, breaking off the relationship could also be pretty traumatic. As my wife likes to say "life is messy."

Best wishes
    I feel that if you start hiding things from the beginning then it becomes very easy to keep going and very hard to ever tell her. It's not that I wouldn't tell her later, but I feel uneasy about hiding things. If she asks a question where the answer is that I am a cd'er and I lie then I have started off lying from the very beginning. Not a good omen of what's to come. I think if I continue on with the relationship I would slow up and not tell her right off the bat. I am currently considering calling it off because of the distance and connection with my business. Those 2 issues are winning out right now.
    Michelle

Michelle,

I totally respect your decision - you of course know the most about the situation AND have the most at stake.

I feel that if you start hiding things from the beginning then it becomes very easy to keep going and very hard to ever tell her. It's not that I wouldn't tell her later, but I feel uneasy about hiding things. If she asks a question where the answer is that I am a cd'er and I lie then I have started off lying from the very beginning. Not a good omen of what's to come.
    I don't know if not telling her at any one point makes it harder to do it later. It's just plain hard to say that to someone. In fact, it's actually easier to admit to a direct question than it is to pop out with "How 'bout them Rangers? And, did I tell you I'm a crossdresser?"

Anyway - you must have felt something for this woman to initiate a relationship knowing that 760+ miles separate you 2. Don't lose sight of that. And, while we all recognize that the long distance relationships are difficult, at my recent HS reunion I was surprised at how many of my classmates who've divorced were in relations with people in another state. It's probably easier when you're further along in your life etc but don't write that off.

Too Risky

I agree with Stephenie. I own my own business and if I were in your shoes, I would not tell her at this point. Your future professional life could go down the tubes if you do tell. Right now, you have a better chance of getting the partnership and a more secure livelyhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    You really have NO business telling her you are a crossdresser this early in a long distance relationship. Keep that fact to yourself until you are MUCH further along in your relationship.

That leaves you with legs and armpits to worry about and I don't see ANY need to explain either to ANYONE other to say you like it.

"Oh, I see you shave your armpits."

"Yeah, I like it."

"Oh, I see you shave your legs, too."

"Yeah, I like it."

Simple, short, and to the point. Not even a faint suggestion that you are a crossdresser.

Stop worrying. Invite this person and have a good time. Keep your CDing in the closet for now. Later on, if things get serious, you can reopen the subject.

Stephie

Thanks for all of your great replies. They have caused me to think even more about this before making the decision. I have thought about it and came to the realization that I need to cool it with her for the following reasons.
    1. Long Distance Relationship - I just feel like the distance is too great and neither are willing to consider moving to the others location.
    2. Business involvement - Business and personal don't mix. Even though there is always that possibility that something great would happen, the reality is much different. If all of the stars don't align then things could go south and cause me to lose a once in a lifetime business deal.
    3. Crossdressing - This one ordinarily wouldn't bother me since I have no trouble telling people that I am a cd'er. As long as it doesn't affect my company, I don't care who knows. But this one has the possibility to hurt my business.
    4. Honesty - This one is the hardest to deal with. I think when you are around someone you care about, then you should be honest because the first lie you tell begins to destroy the relationship. If she was around me and all of a sudden everything connected the dots and she asked me if I was a cd'er and I lied about it would doom the relationship. I don't know when or if I could tell her the truth and in the meatime I am willing lying to her knowing full well the consequences.

I feel it is necessary to be the right kind of person to her or limit how much harm you do to her. I am sad but I know in my heart it is the right decision.
    Michelle

Hi Michelle.
    I have read most of the replies and the one thing I may have missed is; how often does any conversation suddenly turn to cross dressing.

Certainly none of my friends or acquaintances have any clue as to my situation (until recently) and as such I can't see why this should be an issue here.

If you are bothered by the chance of being asked about your lack of hair in certain places keep your shirt and pants on.

Whilst I agree it would be nice to be totally honest, this and any other relationship is not guaranteed to succeed so why not wait to see how things go before you tell all and in the meantime close the business deal and secure your future.

Best of luck with you decision
    PJ

Philipa Jane

If I knew then what I know now... just treat her discoveries as a non-event. Is she really going to ask you why you shave your arm pits? Legs? Just shrug your shoulders and say, 'its been ages,... I don't exactly remember when I started, but I prefer it now...' or...'the place I go for chest waxing includes it for free...'.
    Chickie

Philipa Jane & Chickhe, I think Michelle is thinking beyond just wanting to explain hairless legs and armpits, to the possibility of having a meaningful, long-term relationship with this woman.

Michelle, I think you're making the right decision .... for now. While this business opportunity is looming. But, this doesn't mean that you can't revisit the situation with her once you're set and you see how it all plays out. She'll still be your main contact, won't she? There's no telling what may happen 6 or 12 months from now.
    Reine