Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between a FT CD (or a "want-to-be" FT CD), and a non-op TS?

What is the difference between a FT CD (or a "want-to-be" FT CD), and a non-op TS?

This will be my briefest post ever. lol The title question pretty well stands on its own.
    Last edited by ReineD; 07-29-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    Reine

I thought FTCD was a florist. Oh, that's FTD! Time to go to bed.

I suppose that a FT CD just does it for the clothes perhaps? the person would live their life normally, and have no problem with their gender identity. A pre-op TS or a non-op TS prolly has incomfort not only in the clothes they wear, but also in what they were born as.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani941 View Post
    I suppose that a FT CD just does it for the clothes perhaps? the person would live their life normally, and have no problem with their gender identity.
    I'm assuming that the FT CD wants to be female full time? Therefore must identify as female? But so many say they are full time (or want to be full time) but they are male. If they are male, then why present as full time female? Honestly, I don't understand.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I'm assuming that the FT CD wants to be female full time? Therefore must identify as female? But so many say they are full time (or want to be full time) but they are male. If they are male, then why present as full time female? Honestly, I don't understand.
    I would venture to say that with a bit of prodding (maybe that wasn't the best word choice), one would find that a FT CD is doing it less for clothing and more so because he/she truly identifies with the gender of dress.

A friend of mine who is a non-op TS started off as a FT CD and went through HRT and breast implants; however, she wasn't getting rid of the man parts. When I asked her about this she said, "Are you crazy?? I love my c*ck! Why would I chop it off?!"

Maybe, because you told me that you should've been born a woman?

Oh, Idk. It's to complicated. People are complicated. I'm complicated.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

I think it's The Nature of people to want to have some sort of Title or Label. I would reckon it makes them uncomfortable if they don't have an Identity.

However, it's madness for US to bestow those labels on people. I think a lot of "The Poison" that gets slung about within The T-Community is caused by folks trying to differentiate themselves with labels.

Lets just figure we are all Transgendered, and forget about all those supposed distinguishing differences! They just aren't very important. Full-time 24/7 CD or Non-OP TS? Who really cares, besides The Person who longs for one one of Those Titles.

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 07-29-2010 at 02:00 AM.

I see what you are saying Joanie, but I also feel like a little bit of labeling kind of gives us a little insight into the struggles or personality of the person.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 07-29-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: quote removed, just use their name
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    I see what you are saying, but I also feel like a little bit of labeling kind of gives us a little insight into the struggles or personality of the person.
    Precisely. It's easy enough for a TG to not want to label, since the TG has an understanding of who she is, even if she cannot put it in words.

Not so for those of us who live with you though.
    Reine

Can you interpret the FT CD TS and so on for me? I’m not joking, I’m just still quite new to this site and a bit thick.

Thanks, SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Can you interpret the FT CD TS and so on for me? I’m not joking, I’m just still quite new to this site and a bit thick.

Thanks, SUZY
    FT CD = Full time crossdresser
    non-op TS = Transsexual who doesn't undergo sexual reassignment surgery

As for the difference... well I suppose it's about how far you take gaining acceptance I suppose. A non-op TS is still probably going to go for a legal name change, HRT, femininization surgery (if needed), and legal gender change on identification. Full acknowledgment of their gender on both a legal and social level. A full time CD wouldn't and (through proper channels) couldn't get consent to by medical professionals.

This will be my briefest post ever. lol The title question pretty well stands on its own.
    What is the difference between a FT CD (or a "want-to-be" FT CD), and a non-op TS?

Hi Reine

I would say a Full Time Crossdresser is more comfortable presenting as a female and does not consider themselves to have any problems with there body and there gender

A Non Op Transexual does have a problem as there body does not match their gender but they have decided not to have surgery
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Not so sure there is a definitive answer - can only speak for me.

I suppose it doesn't really matter which label is attached to me - I started to use "non-op TS" after I heard it elsewhere. It is a fairly recent descriptor - perhaps just a different way of saying the same thing. I chose it because it seems a more permanent label ... perhaps ...

I have changed my name on my business, bank account, medical records etc as I see my status as permanently Mirani. It was a sign that I am Mirani.

But, if someone wants to see me as full time CD ... I wouldn't get into an argument over it. As long as they get it that I prefer to relate as a woman . . . call me what you like!
    Last edited by Mirani; 07-29-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

lol, ur adorable

I think it may come down to personal labels and levels of acceptance not only with themselves but the people around them.

I think there are subsections within each one.

FT CD'er #1
    Happy with their body and not willing to make any permanent female changes to it.
    Know they were born male and are male,
    but for whatever reasons decide that they want to live their live acting and being seen/treated as a woman.

FT CD'er #2
    Not so happy with their body, possibly willing to make minor permanent female changes to it, ie hair removal.
    Know they were born male, but with a more female mindset.
    Again decide that they want to live their live acting and being seen/treated as a woman.
    I guess you could call this extreme CD'ing, lol.

FT CD'er #3
    Not happy with their body, might make major permanent female changes to it, ie hair removal, implants, maybe even try hrt.
    Know they were born male, but definitely have a female mind.
    Could very well be a TS, that's not willing or ready to accept it.
    Again decide that they want to live their live acting and being seen/treated as a woman.

Non-Op TS #1
    A TS who for [family, financial, ect] reasons will decide not get SRS. Either permanently, or in the near future.
    Will most likely do as much as they can to be a woman and just live their life this way.
    May or may not get implants, hrt or change their name/status.

Non-Op TS #2
    A TS who for medical reasons just can not get SRS.
    Will do everything else they can to be a woman and just live their life best as they can.
    Will most likely change name and get implants/hrt if they can.

Non-Op TS #3
    A TS who is capable of getting SRS, but decides not to.
    Will most likely do almost everything else they can to be a woman and live their life this way.
    Change name - probably, Implants - probably, hrt - maybe, maybe not.
    A TS that is for whatever reasons happy/accept the fact they are a woman with a penis and for some could even like the idea being a [insert slur here].

I am sure there are many more variables within these six examples, but they seem to cover what I think is the basics.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Precisely. It's easy enough for a TG to not want to label, since the TG has an understanding of who she is, even if she cannot put it in words.

That's where that little-known concept of communication in relationships comes in.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Misses Member, Not Junior CallMeMeg's Avatar
    I don't understand the focus on labelling ourselves. Labels don't define as much as pigeonhole.

I've argued many times with people who do therapy that behavioural labels are mainly there so they can add a diagnosis and give us drugs so we can be "normal".

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    The only FT CD's I know are through these forums but for me they are similar to Sammi's first example except that the ones I'm thinking of (all MtF) don't even want to be seen / treated as a woman all of the time. They know that they are men, are comfortable with that but prefer to wear women's clothes. I just wish that the rest of society was as comfortable with someone doing that as I would be.

I guess that full time FtM CD's would be the same but not wanting to be treated as men all the time etc. but as I don't actually know any that is merely my guess.

If you make non-op TS a separate class from pre-op TS, I am probably in the second class. If it is a superset, then I am non-op since I am only just starting out on my RLE and thanks to the medical definition of "straight away" being different to the dictionary definition, don't even know when I can start Gender Counselling.

For me, the big difference is that someone who classes theirself as CD rather than TS has the same brain gender as their anatomical gender. OTOH, someone who is non-op is still suffering from the same sort of birth defect as me but either hasn't had or doesn't feel the need for the surgery. If they can come to terms with their birth defect without needing the surgery, that's great. I don't know if I will be able to but I think that's one of the reasons why the NHS asks for such a long RLE.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    Lets just figure we are all Transgendered, and forget about all those supposed distinguishing differences! They just aren't very important. Full-time 24/7 CD or Non-OP TS? Who really cares, besides The Person who longs for one one of Those Titles.
    In some ways that would be nice, but think of the threads where people have been vehement that they are CD not TG. Given that many of those FT CD's I am thinking of have contributed to such threads and they do care, I think we should try to understand.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-29-2010 at 06:00 AM.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeMeg View Post
    I don't understand the focus on labelling ourselves. (...)

I've argued many times with people (...).
    The fact you don't understand them doesn't mean they are wrong.
    If you want to understand them, then ask them why they think so and please listen carefully to what they want to say instead of dismissing it as bullshit.

Every people are different. To understand other people it needs empathy and an open-mind. Either you lack somewhat of both, or you are the most intelligent person on this Earth and you feel entitled to teach all others the truth !

Misses Member, Not Junior CallMeMeg's Avatar
    Nadia, I must have been unclear. What I didn't understand was not the people, but the focus on labels.

I was just making two points, I thought:

1. why do we need to label ourselves at all?
    2. doctors in general, and therapists specifically, think behaviour has to be labeled so it can be diagnosed and treated. DSM III says I have "gender identity disorder". I don't feel disordered. But now I can be treated and be "normal". If I was young today, I'd probably be labeled ADD and put on some sort of drugs to fix me.

I truly believe labels, to the mainstream medical community are for the benefit of insurance companies and drug companies. They don't help the people being labeled.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 07-29-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: quote removed

I don't understand the focus on labelling ourselves. Labels don't define as much as pigeonhole.
    I have some sympathy with the notion that any labelling pigeon-holes someone. But a label is only a descriptor. Like I am English. It tells you a bit about me, but there are many types of English people.
    I am born male - tells you about my genitals but not necessarily about my brain.
    I am an Employer - but that doesn't tell you if I am a good or bad employer.
    Some people are classified as "Disabled" tells you not a lot more that they may have to have reasonable provision for their disability.

So, a descriptor is the starting point ("you cant tell a book by its cover") comes to mind.
    The important thing is to NOT stereotype and communicate, not assume. Ask (as Reine has done).
    Listen. Try to understand.

So, label me if you like, but remember not to assume that the last person who explained the label means the same as I do!
    Last edited by Mirani; 07-29-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Beats me Reine. I agree with Meg and think of everyone as who they are as a person, not as a this or that regardless of where their path may eventually lead them.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I would not entirely agree with that as the early stages of being TG can be very confusing for that TG if they are not self accepting of both sides.
    But i would certainly agree with this as a TG who has issues with self acceptance can find the slightest thing to go off on one with no real cause .
    it can make it a bit like walking on eggshells for the SO (and i know how that feels)

"phew" an automated message with a sole
    Last edited by Joanne f; 07-29-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tags so others can separate your comments from mine. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Post what are we really?

sounds like it has been said already.

a cd would be happy with the body they were born into.

a ts would not be happy with the body they were born into.

but both would like to be know as woman, or man as the case may be.

a cd would only do very minor things (reversible) for the look.

and a ts would do surgery, for permanent changes.

a cd is happy as the gender they were born as.

a ts is not happy as the gender born as.

sound about right? it works for me,
    but it is all about what make you feel right/good about your self, as you must first accept your self.

why do we need to label ourselves at all?
    In my opinion, there is no such need.
    Some people accept to label themselves at times (mainly as an expression mode), while others are reluctant to do it or don't like to label themselves at all.

For instance I may tell you :
    . either : 'I am who I am , I like sports and mountains and I also liked my job'.
    . or more precisely : 'I am a crossdresser, an alpinist and a retired engineer'.

I believe both expression modes are acceptable. Moreover they have their pros and cons, according to the circumstances.

I must have been unclear. What I didn't understand was not the people, but the focus on labels.
    As for myself, I believe you had been quite clear when you told us you "don't understand the focus on labelling ourselves".
    Now you might become unclear though : Please tell us more precisely what you didn't understand about "the focus on labels". Maybe we would be able to enlighten you.

Personally one thing comes to mind when I hear a discussion on labels and even though we as people need clarification as to understanding world in our human terms, which turns out to be just labels, I believe that little laughter eases the tension of full of labels day: