Thread: Finally tolds a friend

Aspiring Member Sasha Anne Meadows's Avatar

Finally tolds a friend

Up until now my wonderful wife has been the only person outside the internet to know about Sasha Anne. However, I have been wanting to tell a close male friend for a long time.

Recently I invited him to lunch as a celebration for his retirement. After a couple glasses of wine I told him I has a seceret I wanted to share and I asked him if he thought he could handle it. He said he can handle pretty much anything, which was the answer I expected.

I started by taking a couple of pictures of Sasha Anne out of my wallet and handing them to him. He asked who that woman was and I said that is Sasha Anne Meadows. I asked him if he thought she was attractive and he said yes. He then asked how long I had known her an I replied "64 years."

Finally I said "I am Sasha Anne Meadows." He looked only moderately suprised and the first thing he asked is if my wife knew. I told him I lived full time at home and that my wife loved Sasha Anne.

To make a long story short he was very gracious and accepting, even though his knowledge of transgenders is somewhat limited (and he is a mental health care professional by training). He even asked if he could meet Sasha Anne sometime, which he can of course.

It's always hard to know how people will react to us but in this case it was a refreshing and liberating experience.

Misses Member, Not Junior CallMeMeg's Avatar
    When I showed a picture of Meg to my manager (female), she insisted it was a picture of my sister. I had to work hard to convince her it wes I.

It's a good feeling though, isn't it?

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar

Problem.

I see this theme of telling someone your transgender repeated quite often.

There is a world of difference between telling someone your do something and them actually seeing you doing that something. Kind of like someone telling you they are into a S and M fetish and then later seeing them partaking in the activity. Two totally different things.

I personally do not feel there is any reason to ever tell someone you are trans UNLESS you completely intend to present to them the person you are going to tell them about!

Katie
    Last edited by Katesback; 07-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Aspiring Member Sasha Anne Meadows's Avatar
    Well that may be my next step. I figure a few pictures is a better way to start rather than answering the front door dressed to the nines right off bat. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    I see this theme of telling someone your transgender repeated quite often.
    Probably because many of us need acceptance and confirming.

There is a world of difference between telling someone your do something and them actually seeing you doing that something. Kind of like someone telling you they are into a S and M fetish and then later seeing them partaking in the activity. Two totally different things.

We will have to agree to disagree here too
    If you have a friend then you might want them to now who you really are rather than who they think you are.
    If I told a friend I was really into martial arts I wouldn't need them to join in.

I personally do not feel there is any reason to ever tell someone you are trans UNLESS you completely intend to present to them the person you are going to tell them about!
    How about ... my reason is ... I want to ?? And it could be the first step to seeing if presenting is an option??
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirani View Post
    Probably because many of us need acceptance and confirming.

As I said these are my opinions here. All based on working with many trans people. Yes acceptance is always nice.....but as I said acceptance in seeing a picture and seeing the real story of the girl dressed in front of them are totally different. I can recall seeing a lot of stories about TELLING the wife and then later she saying NOOOOOO when she sees the girl.

The point about telling people you are CD being akin to telling them your into martial arts. Well I certainly do not go up to friends and tell them I am TRANSSEXUAL. I see no reason to do that. It only separates you out in thier minds as being different. I Also dont walk up to people and tell them my religions views, nor political views. Also since most people have no idea what trans is besides what they see on tv you telling the average person is akin to you telling them in a foreign language. For further research simply read the posts about HOW THE WIFE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND.

How about ... my reason is ... I want to ?? And it could be the first step to seeing if presenting is an option??
    First of all you are totally able to present to the world whoever you wish. I CAN vouch for that! Countless people have presented to the world and survived.

In this day there really arent many roadblocks but the ones we build for ourselves. Sad but true!

Katie

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm glad for you that you are able to compartmentalise your life to the extent of being so black and white about the subject.

Many of us, however, live in a world that has many shades of grey. In that world, we may well start by broaching a subject to find out how the other person views it. In our world, there is every reason to tell people things that we may not wish to ram down their throat.

To come back towards the OP, I think that Sasha handled the situation extremely well and I am happy for her that the friend reacted so positively.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity