Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping (Dressed vs Not)

Tipping (Dressed vs Not)

I went out to dinner the other night with another cd'er and it dawned on me that part of the preception we leave in a place has to do with our tipping. So the question is whether you tip more or less while dressed?

When I thought about it that night, I upped the tip because I wanted her to remember cd'ers as good tippers.
    Michelle

Surely tipping is about rewarding service?
    I do understand that people's experiences shape their perception, but I dont think we need to bribe our way into positivity.
    I know that there is a different culture between the US and the UK regarding tips.
    AsI understand it (may have it wrong) a 20% tip is the starting point in the US.
    In the UK quite often the bill has had a 12% service charge added to the bill.
    A £65 bill will include a £6 service charge and £9 tax. Original cost without those = £50.
    Anyway, I don't tip extra to make a good impression. I tip 10% (round it up to the nearest £) when there is no service charge.
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

To me a tip is the reward for exemplary service. Not for you to make up for an owners poor wage scale. If an owner felt like his/her employees are doing their job, and should be earning more – then charge more for the plates and disperse it accordingly.
    With that thought in mind… If a server treats me with good service, conversation if warranted and good attitude, then yes I will tip accordingly. If a server snickers behind my back, (you can tell because all of the other servers just happen to stop by your table for a peek at the trannies), gives no additional service other than the necessary and/or has a shitty attitude…. Then I’m sorry, but they will just have to earn what is given to them by their cheap-assed boss.
    As for buying acceptance… Don’t think so. You giving them a couple extra bucks is not going to change a thought pattern that has already manifested itself. In grade school geeks couldn’t “buy” the bullies friendship with cupcakes… they just made the bully aware of where the cupcakes were. They still ended up stuffed in the lockers.

Hi Michelle,

I have struggled with the same question on many occasions myself. Then I realized that these are actually two separate issues and need to be treated as such. Let me explain my thinking, I have always believed that a tip is a gratuity for superior or personalized service and advancing the image of CD'ers is achieved my the actions of CD'ers.

I in no way believe that providing a bigger tip advances our images in any way. I do believe that acting, presenting and talking like a lady definitely advances our image. Let me ask you a question, would you leave a larger tip to a server who kept referring to you as Sir simply to advance our image? I don't think so as this is neither superior nor personalized service. On the other hand, if this server always referred to you as Miss or Ma'am and helped you with your seat, then this definitely would be superior and personalized service which should be rewarded with a generous gratuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Brown View Post
    I have always believed that a tip is a gratuity for superior or personalized service
    Agreed

I in no way believe that providing a bigger tip advances our images in any way.
    Agreed

. . . would you leave a larger tip to a server who kept referring to you as Sir simply to advance our image? I don't think so as this is neither superior nor personalized service.
    Agreed

On the other hand, if this server always referred to you as Miss or Ma'am and helped you with your seat, then this definitely would be superior and personalized service which should be rewarded with a generous gratuity.
    Disagree To refer to me as I present and helping me with my seat is STANDARD service ... it is in the job description to be polite and helpful. Not superior or personalised service IMHO.

Possibly another example of US v UK culture ????
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Oh ,Oh!

Women [ ggs ] have always had the bad press of being bad tippers. I don't know where or when this started... It's just one of those unearned prejudices.

I tip starting at 16% [ double the tax ] and add as warrented.
    BUT, if the service is really bad I've been known to leave coins, just to show I hadn't forgotten.

TIPS =

To
    Insure
    Proper
    Service.

In the old days tips were paid Before dineing.

Presh GG

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirani View Post
    Surely tipping is about rewarding service?
    In theory -- but the studies I have seen mentioned have repeatedly indicated that they find that the amount people tip is driven mostly by how they want other people to perceive them, especially the other people they are with.

The level of service has influence, but much less so than the degree to which the people want to impress those around them. That can include wanting to hide routine unpleasantness, or wanting to give superiors the impression that one is good with people and worthy of promotion, or wanting to give superiors the impression that one is serious about cost controls, or wanting to give superiors the impression that one is suitably distainful of the hired help: the social dynamics include tipping more in some situations and tipping less in others.

Thus, tipping more in hopes of leaving a good impression of CD's would not be uncommon, and it is not something that I personally would discourage, as long as one doesn't give the impression that one is trying to "buy" the other person's attention, or trying to "buy" the other person's restraint from commenting, or trying to bribe the other person's silence about you having been there dressed like you were: leaving such an impression would not be good for the community of CD'ers.

In our country, in restaurants with waiters, tipping is expected. I don't know the history of why, but typically they're paid a small wage & make most of their money from tips. Some fancy places automatically add tip to the bill, though they do inform you of that.

It would serve no purpose I think to give a big tip to someone who didn't show us basic respect of gender-identity. Unless they were really bad though, I wouldn't forego the tip. We don't need to be remembered as "people who don't tip" -similar to what Presh said.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

at the growing price for service at a restaurant i only do a 10% as the norm. if things are that good, or if we were a pain and she did a good job the tip goes way up. if she can not get things right i have just left two penny's.

in a couple groups for a dinner were there is NO mandatory tip we would all drop in a good tip and the kitty would be large.
    were there is a mandatory fee added to the bill she only gets what her boss want's to give her.

a tip is for good service. not a mandatory fee to be added to a bill. nore is it to make up for the owners lack of a proper pay scale.
    no body gives me a tip for doing MY job....

For service that is just there, $2 per person. For great service 20% or more. And for poor service, 2 shiney pennies. If the service is super, I will also tell the manager, how well we were taken care of. And how the server made our visit enjoyable...BJ

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Calling Miss won't ensure you tip, calling me sir ensures you won't .
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

I agree that the tip is a sign of good or bad service. I also agree that if it is a regular stop then maybe a little extra is appropriate in order to continue to receive exemplary service.

tipping

In our neck-of-the-woods a tip is around 10%, usually as a reward for good service.
    If you're dressed 'en femme' I presume you pass well and present as a lady. I don't expect that would have any bearing whatsoever on the size of the tip.

Talking

In this neck of the woods tipping is rear, a sufficient wage is paid to the worker,and all costs are shown in the bill.

I've never heard of tips beging gender specific, or specific to any other part of ones personality. To me, as was mentioned, a tip is a show of appreciation for good service, or reward for good service. Generally we double the tax, and if the service was "Above Expectations", we increase . If "Below Expectations", we decrease.

I've been a waiter before (& even a waitress a couple of times but that's totally another story) so I get the tipping thing. Standard in these parts is 15% for good service. It is what it is. Call me shallow but when I'm out in girl mode and I can perceive that the server is making an effort to be understanding, to address me with appropriate pronouns, etc., I will tip more, sometimes 20-25%. Am I making a statement for the greater cause in doing so? I don't think so. But I think it would be remembered more if I were to leave a poor tip.

Regardless, try this one. When you receive great service along with all those good things that come with being treated well as one who is transgendered, write the establishment to commend the staff. Now that's something that'll make an impression!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I don't tip better because I'm en femme. I do tip according to the level of service. I will tip 20% for good service, more if it's exceptional. If the service is "up to standard" I'll tip 15%. I never not tip, even if the service is bad-but don't expect it to be a very good tip, and I will talk to the manager.

If you're using the right pronouns? That's only something I expect.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    I tip because i want to be nice to other people.

Unless the service was really bad then no tips!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/tipping1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by howstuffworks.com
    The most prominent reason for tipping appears to be more of a guilt issue than a gratitude issue. We know that tipping, at least in the United States, is expected, and if we don't tip, we stand the chance of angering the server, and then who knows what our next visit to that restaurant, airport or salon will be like?

Also, our assumption that tipping is designed to encourage good service for our next visit may or may not be accurate. What if we are at a restaurant that we know we won't be back to? What then is our motivation to tip? Some argue that it is a way of making ourselves feel better about being served because we know the waiter works hard and isn't paid well. [...]

Believe it or not, a lot of research has gone into why we tip and what makes us tip more or less for similar service. Research has shown that the quality of the service we receive isn't always reflected in the tip we leave. Many who have studied the practice have discovered that excellent service only draws a marginally higher tip than average service. Other things the server might do, however, do make more of a difference -- probably without our even realizing it.

Cornell University's Center for Hospitality Research conducted several studies revealing some other interesting facts about server habits that can boost tip percentages. Here are a few of them: [see article for list]

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2008/11...gy-of-tipping/
    Research articles on the psychology of tipping

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejou...5262271_2.html
    Quote Originally Posted by entrepreneur.com
    Many managers believe that small tips are an indication that customers are dissatisfied and that they need to be placated. However, the research reviewed in this article suggests otherwise. Consumers who rated the service as excellent sometimes left tips of 5 percent or less, so one cannot conclude that small tips always mean that the customer was dissatisfied with the service. Furthermore, consumers who rated the service as poor sometimes left tips of 20 percent or more--so not everyone who is dissatisfied with the service leaves a small tip. In general, the weak relationship between tips and service evaluations means that tips are a poor indicator of customer satisfaction or dissatisfaction.
    Restaurant tipping: an examination of three ‘rational’ explanations
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencedirect.com
    Tipping was related to bill size, patronage frequency, service ratings and the interaction of bill size with patronage frequency. Tipping was not related to group size, number of courses, alcohol consumption, food ratings or the interaction of patronage frequency with service ratings. These results are consistent with the use of tips to buy social approval and equitable relationships but not with the use of tips to buy future service.
    Race differences in restaurant tipping: A literature review and discussion of practical implications.

See other papers at http://tippingresearch.com/test.html

I would have to admit that I DO tip better when I dine dressed IF the waiter / waitress has been genuinely friendly. Right or wrong, I do have it in my mind that I am doing something small for myself and other TG's by influencing others to look forward to our presence instead of dreading it.

Always tip.....The waiter/waitress needs to make a living. That needs to be respected.
    I awlays tip generosuly, but I have also engaged the waiter/waitres in conversation fore the mere fact of putting on a human face on me no matter how I'm dressed.
    if you are going en femme, be bold, and enjoy it.....and tip well.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I would have to admit that I DO tip better when I dine dressed IF the waiter / waitress has been genuinely friendly. Right or wrong, I do have it in my mind that I am doing something small for myself and other TG's by influencing others to look forward to our presence instead of dreading it.
    I was beginning to feel bad about putting this up because it was missing the point. Your response is exactly the point. If the service is equal do you tip more or the same when dressed? Do you think that it makes any difference in how TG's are perceived?

All I know is that I was thinking about other cd'ers when I calculated the tip. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't cheap. In male mode I don't care if I am cheap.
    Michelle

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I generally tip the same, dressed or not. However, I gotta be honest ... if I feel like I got read and yet I still got a warm or even "extra warm" friendly attitude toward me, I do tip more.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I just leave one of my competitors' business cards with a note on the back that says "Buy low, sell High"...

jus' kidd'n..

Restaurants...
    I leave 20% of the pre-tax total bill, with no consideration given to my attire. Emily Post would be proud of me...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Not to sound like a stereotypical mean Scot-Tipping,never heard of it

Seriously I always add a cpl £s to the bill assuming the service has been good,after all like myself they are trying to earn a living,at times on low wages,As a working class girl I wouldn't feel good not leaving a tip.My Tip doesn't really differ much whether am Dressed or not.

Sophie x
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson