Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo or not to tattoo

Tattoo or not to tattoo

Hi everyone

I want to get a lower back tattoo. I have the design in mind I want, it is totally girly. I have been wanting to get it for about a year. But I am just hesitating because it is a big commitment. I have grown my hair and color it, pierced me ears and belly, but all the is reversible. I am just wondering if it is pink fog, how long should i wait? I am in my mid 20's so now is the best time to get it and enjoy it. I have been with the same girl for 4 years now and she is not for it or against it, but 6 months ago she said she would be fine with it, it was my body. But she only wants me to get one. What if we break up, will another girl take me with that tattoo? Any thoughts?

Chaos is a friend of mine April Renee's Avatar

Its 4:19...got a minute?

You should have just done it six months ago when it came up. If you do it and decide in the future you don't like it or someone new comes into your life you can alter it or do a cover up design, but then again nobody else HAS to see it no matter how "girly" it is.
    April
    May the lord know those that don't love us so he may turn their hearts or at least their ankle so we'll know em by their limp.

You take the urban noise with some Durbin Poison.
    Its gonna lessen your load.....

if you have to ask I would say you're not ready for it.

Speaking personally, I would never date someone with a tattoo because I don't like tattoos. In fact, I have turned down dates in the past for that reason. That might seem a bit hypocritical coming from someone who crossdresses, but then i I have lost out in relationships with girls who didn't like the CD'ing.

As long as you are prepared to live with your choices then do what you will, but remember those choices no longer exist once you make them in regards to a tattoo.

Good luck whatever you choose to do

You're 25, think about it will look in another 25 or 30 yrs? JMHO...BJ

[SIZE="4"]Please don't go along with the "tattoo fog!" You will regret it later. Too bad they don' make temporary ones![/SIZE]

Chaos is a friend of mine April Renee's Avatar
    QUOTE=Billijo49504;You're 25, think about it will look in another 25 or 30 yrs? JMHO...BJ.
    Well, if the Tattoo artist is any good and the quality of the INK used is good it should look pretty much the same in 25 years. Myself, I've had one of my tats for 21 years and aside from a little color fade it still looks the same. The perception of how it will look is based upon the old ways,equipment and old ink used in the past. The artist doesn't want to give any "bad" tat jobs; they earn their living doing it and the work is represented on a live canvas that also can be used as advertisement..
    Imho.....
    April
    May the lord know those that don't love us so he may turn their hearts or at least their ankle so we'll know em by their limp.

You take the urban noise with some Durbin Poison.
    Its gonna lessen your load.....

Aspiring Member
    That's a tough one...but if you've been on the fence about it for over six months without committing to getting it done I would say it probably isn't for the best (and that's coming from someone who has five tattoos, both nipples, tongue and navel pierced).

I can completely see why you would want to get a lower back piece as it is one of the most feminine areas to get a tattoo (trust me, the thought has crossed my mind . But, it sounds like you're still finding yourself and even though you feel that it would work for your now and going into the future that might not actually be the case.

Having said that it is pretty awesome that your current SO is cool with it. Have you thought about getting a henna temporary tattoo done? That way you could have fun with it for 2-3 weeks then not have to worry about having permanent "buyers remorse" :P

Personally, I would never get a tattoo, even if it is a girlie one, I think they look bad on girls. Not only that but once it is there it will remain and if you are not able to decide now then I would say thats a no! People change, I once had a friend who was a tattoo artist, I could of had anything done for next to nothing but was unable to decide what I wanted, long story short, After 1 Year I was a very different person and was so thankful I never did it. thats my

There's an old english saying I often think about when I'm of 2 minds:

When in doubt do now't (nothing).

If you've been thinking about it for 6 months, and you're not sure, and you're not sure if this relationship is permanent, ask yourself would you be happy with it, if you broke up with her, and were single again. Especially if it's a girly tattoo, are you going to be comfortable being out in public with it in the singles scene again? My feeling is that you might want to wait until you get a little more direction as far as your relationship. Sounds like you have a cool relationship now, and a great SO to allow you to enjoy your CDing experience so much !

As others have said, if you have to ask....don't get it.

Haha if you want to play around with the look though, get a professional temporary tattoo. I think one spring break I had a certain butterfly temporarily tattooed on my lower back...

...One week with that tattoo and I decided I didn't really want it. Thank God.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Long time ago (on our honeymoon actually), my wife and I got matching roses on our ankles. They weren't "tattoo's per say...but a surface dye similar to henna. We thought it was just a paint and figured they 'd be gone in a few weeks. Six months later they were pretty much gone but both were visible (if you knew where to look) almost a year later. They weren't small, about 3" in length with the rosebud about an inch in diameter. It allowed us two things - one it allowed us to try and find out we decided we didn't like tattoos all that much, and two, it was a pretty girly thing we constantly kidded each other about for almost a year.

Jenn

My youngest brother owns a very successful tattoo shop in the Carolinas. Oddly enough, he does not have a tattoo on his body. Personally, I don't care for them and would not get one. But to each his/her own.

Thanks for the advice, guess I will not get it, yet. I waited this long to make sure it wasn't just an impulse. So I will wait longer. I dont really care what people think. I already get all sorts of weird looks and shit from my friends, and even compliments from strangers about my nail polish and hair. I am a little shyer with people I know then strangers.

The reason I want the tattoo is as a symbol of me accepting this part of myself, and never deny myself who I really am. I have thought of all the places and that is the best for all the reasons girls normally get it, easily hide able, doesnt change much over time/weight, and is in my opinion very cute and says something bold and unique about me as a guy. Most people are ashamed of crossdressing, this is my way of not being on of them. I will probably marry this girl, and she is not too keen on a tattoo so I want to get one before she changes her mind. She hates needles, and would never get a tattoo, she almost passed out when we got our belly buttons pierced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokergal420 View Post
    The reason I want the tattoo is as a symbol of me accepting this part of myself, and never deny myself who I really am.
    I have to question whether a tattoo is really the best way of never denying who you are. I would say to live who you are is the ultimate way of not denying who you are.

No on the tattoo

I am currently having laser tattoo removal for tattoo that I got about 30 years ago, its much more expensive and takes much more time than the tattoo but I am so glad that we now have the technology to remove the ink.

The laser breaks down the ink so that the blood can carry it away to the liver to deal with. Makes me wonder what impact that will have on my liver.

My son asked me a couple of years ago about tattoos. His friend was going to get a tattoo and offered to pay for him to get one too. I told him that was one thing I wish I had never done and that I wished I could get rid of mine (that was before I started my laser treatment). I was so pleased and so proud of him when he called a week later and told me that he decided to not get a tattoo.

Dee

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    As others have said, if you have to ask....don't get it.

Haha if you want to play around with the look though, get a professional temporary tattoo. I think one spring break I had a certain butterfly temporarily tattooed on my lower back...

...One week with that tattoo and I decided I didn't really want it. Thank God.
    with Shananigans. I can't tell you how many times in my life in the last 25 years I have considered a tattoo, and depending on my frame of mind at the time I was thinking about all sorts of things from uber feminine ones to macho guy ones. Today, I am glad I didn't succumb to temptation as if I had gone with the uber feminine ones then in the locker room of my gym I might feel a little shy with my top off and if I had gone with a more male one when I'm wearing an off the shoulder or sleeveless dress that would have ruined my whole look. Caution required!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_UK View Post
    There's an old english saying I often think about when I'm of 2 minds:

When in doubt do now't (nothing).

Wise words from up North. Also think to future as others have said.

I am not opposed to others doing whatever makes em' feel "right".

But tatoos and body decorations are just not for me. I cannot think of anything I could "etch" into or onto my body with the confidence that I would have no regrets at some point in the future.

But, that's just me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wouldn't do it. Like others have said, if you do think that you want to, get a temporary one first to make sure you like it and it's really what you want.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo_UK View Post
    I have to question whether a tattoo is really the best way of never denying who you are. I would say to live who you are is the ultimate way of not denying who you are.
    I agree with you to a point; however, for many people, tattoos truly are a pure representation of self. If that is how you really feel about it Pokergal420 I can totally respect that. Let us know what you end up doing

Last Christmas at 50 years old, I got a tattoo. When I was younger, I thought they were cool but as they became more of a fad, I started to dislike them, especially on women. I"m really not sure what finally compelled me to get one. And compelled is a good description as I was obsessed about it. I think it was partly a feminization hypnosis track I listen to. The hypnotist says to get a butterfly tattoo. Well, I resisted the suggestion, especially for something obviously feminine. But I eventually came around to the idea of some sort of feminine tattoo.

I am a meditator and had recently started to become enthralled with the goddess concept. I started thinking of ways to invoke and honor the goddess in me. My first thought was a "Sri Yantra," and while I was searching for images during a lull at work one day, I heard my teacher's voice chanting the sound for the Yantra, "Shreem." A coworker was watching a video of the teacher, having no idea who he was.

I took this as a sign. Unfortunatley, the yantra would not have turned out well for the small size I wanted. So after more thought, I got Three Sanskrit words tattooed on my hip, "Om Shreem Namaha." Goddess oriented, in a unisex, if not feminine spot, and in a place where no one will see it unless I show it to them.

I was pumped after getting it. I can see how tattoos are addictive to some people. It's now a little over seven months since I got it and it's in a spot where I don't see it all of the time. So when I see it in a mirror, I think, "Oh yeah, I did that." If I'm feeling good about myself at the time, I think, "that's kind of cool." But if I'm not, I wonder what compelled me to do this. It's not actual regret that it was done, but kind of "what was I thinking."

I bought special transfer paper to print out my designs and try out the size and placement on my body before I opted for the permanent one, so there was a lot of thought involved. And though I already had an idea for a second one while in the chair getting the first one, I don't think I'll do it anytime soon. But, because of how I felt after the process, if they could do it in disappearing ink, where it would be gone without a trace within six months to a year, I think I would be a regular customer at the tattoo parlour.

I agree with other posters here, if after six months you're still not sure, then I wouldn't get it. In the meantime, you could try out the transfer paper I used from http://www.tattoojohnny.com/test_drive. You print your design in a reverse image on this paper with an inkjet printer, then transfer it to your skin. It doesn't last as well as the commercial temporary tattoos, if it gets wet, the ink will run, but it gives you a chance to try out different designs and sizes to see if there is one that you really, really want to etch onto your body.

Why not consider a temporary tattoo. I saw an advert in the UK 8 years ago for "Temptoos". They are more permanent than the henna inks as they fade in about 7 years. So you need not worry about how it will look in 25 - 30 years, no need for expensive laser surgery to remove it. If you split form your current girlfriend, then any new girlfriend who does not appreciate it may be reassured if she knows it is not permanent.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by KristinSkye View Post
    I agree with you to a point; however, for many people, tattoos truly are a pure representation of self.
    I guess I lost any desire to get any tattoos when I saw a man and a woman, husband and wife in their late 70s, who had tattoos on their wrists. Numbers put there when they were in a German concentration camp.

Jersey for 33 yrs, Now Vancouver, Washington!

For the people saying if you have to ask...

Just because Pokergal420 isn't sure and has been contemplating this decision for a while does NOT mean they shouldn't get it, or that by inaction they've made a decision not to. Getting a tattoo is a very personal decision. Everyone who gets one should absolutely contemplate the decision for a while. It is not a simple choice.

BTW I honestly wouldn't worry about the possibility of future women you may be involved with not liking it. It will be on your back, and even during naughty playtime it's still on your back, mostly unseen

Full disclosure I am somewhat biased on this subject since I've had one since 2006 and just got a new one 2 weeks ago. Cat, my girl has 3. The stigma of having a tattoo in society is not what it used to be.

Another point I totally disagree with is the idea that having a tattoo is not feminine. First off, for a crossdresser to say that is a bit ridiculous. Really? You're really going to say having a tattoo is masculine? I have met many more women who have tatoos then men. Like myself, I find the whole thing pretty genderless at this point. Also, some of us find others, both men & women, with tattoos to be very sexy.

When I was in high school a lot of my friends got really crappy & cheap tatoos. It put me off them, even though I always wanted one and was always being pressured to get one. Instead I got one when I was 30 years old, when I knew exactly what I wanted, something very meaningful to me, and I had friends who new GOOD tattoo artists to send me to.

So I say contemplate all you want, get it, don't get it. Do what YOU want. Remember, no one will see it unless you want them to Good luck with your decision Pokergal420
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] x o x o x o Samantha Girl!!! * remember girls, sexiness is a state of mind!!!