Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end???

Banned Read only

Beginning of the end???

my wife has known for 20+ yrs about my crossdressing - since before we were married. It has been a rocky course, as she is 100% unaccepting. Our relationship has been marred by my dishonesty, as i have actively concealed my incresing involvement in this "lifestyle" The fact is, though, that i am comfortable in my knowledge that i am TS, not simply a cd-er (as if that is simple). At any rate, I have been more open with her in the last 6 months, per her request. As I am attending SCC, i knew i had to tell her in advaance. I did so last night. She took it very hard, as another sign that things are escalating. In resonse, she is going home to her parents for the weekend to think things over. At some level, tthis may be the best for the both of us. as undoubtedly more heartbreak awaits her in our relationship......

Life can be difficult. . ..

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Consider inviting her to SCC along with you.

I know you said she 100% disapproves, but if you do not invite her then there is a serious possibility that she will be picturing you partying wildly and having sex every night.

If she doesn't want to consider going to SCC itself, then consider the possibility of a compromise where the two of you get a hotel reasonably near the event and you "come home to her" every evening and maybe spend a day or two sight-seeing with her when you could have been at the convention. It might mean that on her part she'd end up seeing you dressing up or dressed up, but that might be a lot easier on her than having her think you're hooking on the streets all night while she is hundreds of miles away.

Platinum Member
    Sorry to hear this, Renee. Well, in a way, its good that she took a weekend to mull things over. I would hate to see a marriage end, but on the other hand, I don't think its fair to you to hide any longer, or pretend for her sake. I guess we'll just have to see what she has to say when she comes back next week.

Hey Renee,

I'm sorry to hear how things are progressing for you and your wife. I could only imagine how difficult it must be to be open and honest with someone you are very close and who is not accepting of what you are being honest about.

Keep in there and I hope everything works out.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I LIKE Sandra's suggestion, Renee!

After being to SCC, I can varify that it is NOT a fetish event! And is very spouse friendly!

On the other hand;
    I expect after 20+ years together, your dressing is NOT the only issue to come up between u 2!?

So hopefully, u 2 will work THIS out in the same manner you've handled the OTHER issues!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Renee, with the highest level of empathy, our wives must be sisters, my early september plans have not yet been revealed to her...and I am doubting the wisdom of my policy of total honesty...which only fails anyway, it just sux!
    Look, If we meet each other there, we sure have a lot in common.

Hey babe, life works in mysterious ways and if the course must take you away then be it, I have learned that in order to stay true to your self, often you must follow the path
    leading away from others, sometimes loved ones, however if they truly love us they will understand and in a long run the relationship may grow ever stronger. I am heading now where there is no answers, perhaps you are in the same moment in time, but as long as we are truthful and honest that road will take us to a better place.

Renee,

I truly feel for both you and your spouse. My wife struggles as well but probably less than your wife.

I agree with Sandra-Leigh--invite her to SCC with you. I took my spouse to the Texas T years ago and she became more comfortable (although not truly accepting--she knows that it is a real issue with me). She will meet other spouses with different degrees of accepting and I believe that most will be much more accepting than her.

Unless there are other issues in your marriage I think it would be worth a try.

Renee, I totally feel for you in this situation. It mirrors something that I went through a few years ago. While I've known the absolute truth about myself since my earliest memories, I allowed my wife to believe it was "just a dressing thing" in my disclosure a mere three months into our dating relationship.

The road you are about to travel will be a rocky one. Will your relationship survive this deeper disclosure? Time will tell. What I can tell you is that while inviting her to SCC isn't necessarily a bad idea in and of itself, it is an invitation which any woman in such a situation (& feelings towards the TG thing as you describe) would be highly unlikely to accept. In the last few years or so, I have gently, and even not so gently attempted to get my wonderful wife to "meet" Sara and thus far she has declined. This is coming from someone who I would describe as tolerant but decidedly non-participating.

Regardless, I wish you the best Renee. I am here to help in any way I can.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Hi Renee,

I understand your situation and sincerely hope it all works out in the end. Having been in your shoes eighteen years ago and after twenty years of marriage. My crossdressing was one of the issues dividing us, although not the only one. In my case being away from home for long lengths of time and different family backgrounds, were at the core of our differences. We tried counseling, weekends away from the kids, to get our marriage back on track. But to no avail. We weren't able to find middle ground on our issues, compromise is something that both people must come to, to make a marriage work. Also educating oneself on the issues is another to arrive at a compromise, if one is not willing learn what the your partner is feeling you can't comprehend, or understand to arrive at some middle ground. My spouse wasn't willing to learn about my crossdressing nor was there much out there about it at the time. I was selfish about it as well and wasn't willing give in either. The end result is my being single, being able to do what I want to do. But not being totally happy with myself, as a person. Sometimes we need some grounding and come to terms with ourselves and our lives. Once again, I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Renee, Your case sounds very much like mine 10 years ago. It sounds like a separation and divorce could be eminent. Start now to get ready. You don't want to be blind sided. It can be extremely stressful. You want to keep your wits about you at all times. Watch what you say, do, write or sign. Have the number ready for a very good lawyer. The divorce itself is just a piece of paper to sign. The really tough part is the property settlement and, if minor children are involved, the custody issue. Lawyers on both sides can be very brutal. Once the lawyers are involved all bets are off.

I might sound cynical, but I have been there. I was up front with my lawyer about my being a cd. He said it would not be an issue in any property settlement. Fortunately, there was no custody issue in mine as my child was over 18. My being a cd was never brought up. It could come up for you if there is a custody issue.

best of luck.

Jodi

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    What I can tell you is that while inviting her to SCC isn't necessarily a bad idea in and of itself, it is an invitation which any woman in such a situation (& feelings towards the TG thing as you describe) would be highly unlikely to accept.
    Yes, but you make the invitation anyways, so that if she declines it is through her choice rather than through you blocking her out.

I bought a pair of tickets for our local club's anniversary dinner, knowing that my wife wouldn't go, but unable to keep myself from wishing she would, and in the meantime straining through my mind of who else I might possibly ask. I postponed and I postponed, and finally the week of the dinner, I forced myself to ask if she would go -- forced myself so that I could get the self-torture over with and get onwards with my depression. So I asked, and she thought for a few seconds and said, "Okay." Not "Yeck!" or "Do I have to?!", just agreed to go. Here I'd been all depressed about how she would never go, and then depressed again because I didn't have any friends to invite, and it was all useless fretting, as she didn't mind going.

To be honest, she found the evening kinda boring -- but it was the "Pish! Okay, so it was bit odd, but nothing happens!" kind of reassuring boredom. That and she saw how much work I put in helping with the event... saw that it was important to me and gave me some sense of purpose. So "harmless" and "gives something useful to do and some self respect": I could have told her those things till I was blue(r) in the face, but for her to see them for herself cemented her "Why worry?" approach.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I do hope she has an epiphany before she rejoins you. I do hope that she is able to join you at or near SCC in order to see you in the life that she must actually love since it has been there all the time. My heartfelt hopes for both of you and that she will soon understand that you have so much to offer her by this gift you have.

tina

This is going to be a very tough road for both of you. I hope both of you find a way to navigate the mine field awaiting both of you on your journey. Since you coming to SCC, and I am tentatively planning on coming if I make it there I hope to run into you.
    Michelle

Good luck, Renee.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

My heart goes out to you Renee. I am so proud of you for telling her about SCC, I agree it was the right thing to do by extending the invitation. 20 years of unacceptance, I am reminded of a very close friend who had his marriage end after only a couple of years because his wife just thought he'd change once they got married. This friend isn't cd (as far as I know anyway). He just didn't want or do certain things, and the woman knew this and literally said she thought he'd change "when they were married". The worst part to me was that when they got divorced and he had to live in the basement until he'd saved up enough to move out, she did things with guys she "dated" (and brought back to their house), stupid things like watch non-Disney movies with them, horror movies (really stupid I told you). That she refused to do with her spouse. (when they were married) I think maybe some people grow up with an idea of what a married couple is/does and for some reason can NEVER reach the maturity level to understand that everyone's marriage is personal. Not all men take out the garbage and not all women clean the toilets. Gender specific marital roles are best left for tv sitcoms from days gone by like "Leave it to Beaver".
    I sincerely hope that on her sabbatical that your wife can at least mature enough to be supportive in some way, like encouraging you to be happy.

The journey has begun.... Regina's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about it Renee, My wife like yours is totally unaccepting I've manage to hide it for years....of course sleeping in seperate bedrooms helps! but it's not a real marriage and it will come to a close in about two years, for many reasons other than dressing. I feel for you though it's tough, asking her to SCC is a good idea. Hope to see you there!

Regina

Banned Read only
    I can't begin to express my grattitude for everyones support. It is clearly heartfelt, and means so much to me. Yes this has, is, and will continue to be difficult. It is probable that separation will be the best for both of us, but will still be difficult, especially for my 15 and 17 year old kids, who know nothing (well, kids are smart - they probably do)

Sandra, your idea of inviting my wife to SCC is a good onee, and i did - kind of half-heartedly. I will ask her again, more directly. Having her stay a night in a nearby hotel is a really good idea. How would i connect her with other SOs?

Sara, i too have tried to introduce Renee to my m\wife, but she has no interest. She also has really done very little to learn about the whole TG topic, and her judgements are based soleey on her small town/rural conservative upbringing.

Renee, your life story is a carbon copy of mine!
    Well, thanks agan for everyones support

Aeify, thanks for your thoughts and welcome to the forum. Penny is a lucky gal!!

I hope to meet some if not all of you at SCC

Hugs,

Renee

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    What I can tell you is that while inviting her to SCC isn't necessarily a bad idea in and of itself, it is an invitation which any woman in such a situation (& feelings towards the TG thing as you describe) would be highly unlikely to accept.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Yes, but you make the invitation anyways, so that if she declines it is through her choice rather than through you blocking her out.
    Right on Sandra.

This is why I phrased it the way I did. If I applied the thought of extending such an invitation to my personal situation, I'd have said that it was an absolutely rotten idea.

Getting our SO's to embrace the idea of education and/or exposure to the TG experience is sometimes a walk in a minefield. Renee had already set the table by saying that her wife is 100% unaccepting. Knowing this fact, I'm guessing the odds of her wife attending SCC are fairly slim. But I agree with the invite. If nothing else, it demonstrates that there is nothing to hide.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Have been in your heels dear. I lost a marriage of 39 years (when the divorce happened). Being TS is not fun or easy. But we do survive. And the peace at the end is almost worth it. I am now happy. And she is happy as well. She took her half of everything and got a house with a POOL....which she has always wanted.

Dear, hang in that. be honest from here out, and let the chips fall where they do. Be a woman with class as hold you head up.

Em
    Last edited by Emily Ann Brown; 08-13-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Living with a heel in each world.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

a couple more thoughts

Renee,

None of us are sure what might help but we can't stop trying! I had a couple more thoughts:

My wife has said that she was flattered to know that I trusted her enough to share this very vulnerable part of my life with her. It's a big trust issue and playing that side of it might open your wife's eyes a bit.

Also, Renee is not something that suddenly happened, so she must be aware of all the advantages of having a spouse who wants to know all about being feminine. She's not going to get that kind of empathy anywhere else!

and then there is the obvious...or at least obvious to me: there is nothing inherently wrong with men having a soft side, and an active one. The fact is that Renee is the honest manifestation of that softer side that many men just hide away or are embarassed about.

You are stronger than that. She might want to think about that point...

best,

Tina

Gold Member
    Damn girl you been married 20 years? You don't look old enough to have been married that long, I figured you to be maybe mid-30's.

Anyways about the marriage, well fact is a lot of us do eventually lose our spouse over our TG'ness. It is not the overnight process that many closeted TG think, it is more of something that just builds over time, usually years.

It does suck yes, and let me tell you, at first divorce is very hard. I thought I was gonna lose it when it first happened to me but as one recovers, life goes on, it is just the short time before and after that is really rough.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Best of Luck

Thats a hard road for sure. I too can relate. I guuess I am not as far along the spectrum as you may be as I have been able to keep my marriage by limiting my activities. It is not that I want to - I love the occasions when I can get together with others like me - I have chosen to tip the balance in her favor to keep my marriage, It is a sacrafice but I feel better knowing that I have some control over my own destiny.

best to you both.

I really do hope that when your wife gets back she has good news for you.

I know we've spoke before in pm about her joining the FAB forum here, it is a pity that she wont as we do have wives/partners who are in a relationship with transsexuals. We don't know all the answers but we could maybe help her to understand a bit more.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Banned Read only

Update

Well, she did not leave after all, but things have been bad. We reached a crisis point two days ago, and talked seriously about divorce. I am at the end of my tolerance for her utter rejection of me, and i do think it's time. We talked about holding it together for the three hrs until both kids graduate from high school, and that makes sense. She did agree to see a counselor or psychologist, and i see this as a positive sign. I gave her some names today from my psychologist. Woww, is this tough!