Thread: Mani/Pedi, make up, and a gourmet meal

Mani/Pedi, make up, and a gourmet meal

First off let me appolgise for being so wordy itried tokeepit as short as possible and because I was by myself there are no pics

After being in Newport RI for almost a month I finally got the opportunity to get out for a while. I had not been out since I was in Jacksonville in early July when I went to a place called the Metro. (It was a lot of fun, it is actually 4-5 clubs in one building). My plan was simple, wearing all that I could possibly wear under my regular clothes take the car and find a big empty parking lot in which to finish changing and do my make up. There are no cheep rooms in New England. My main mission get new foundation as I was almost out, have a quiet dinner, and maybe a drink or two.
    Newport is a fairly compact town, most of the shops are on the main drag, and I have found no real mall areas close by. On my previous jaunts to town I had spotted a nail salon and a make-up boutique fairly close together along with several restaurants. There is also a Wal Mart close by, so parking lot issue solved.
    First things first don the wig, turn up the ac a little and quickly do my make up, put in my forms. No need to do a lot as it will get redone any way. Slide into my outfit and I am on my way. It is only a short five minute drive to main street, parking however took longer than expected as I wanted to be between the salon and the boutique, and there was a fair amount of foot traffic. Sign said 2 hour parking til 9pm, Three o’clock, just enough time for a Pedi/Mani and make-up before I would have to move the car. The people at the salon were nice but I have had better P/ms. I walked the two blocks to the boutique smiling at those that pasted me. Into the boutique and I would have to wait, one girl working and two teenage girls shopping,, one of which was get a make over. A couple of quick glance from the young girls as they left, gave them a big smile as I took my place in the chair. The girl in boutique was very nice and showed me several products before we settled on the Bare Minerals foundation. Really nice stuff, I definitely will by more when the time comes. She also touched up my eyeshadow and we played with a couple shades of lip stick, but all I needed was the foundation.
    As I am strolling back to the car I am looking at the menus posted outside the different places when a n older man stops and asked the obvious, Your not from around here? NO, from Texas. He introduces himself (David) Tells me a little about the area, and that if I want a less expensive meal there is a nice place around the corner. Turns out he owned the building next to the restaurant where we stood. Says He is on his way to pick up his Lady friend and would I like to join them for dinner in about twenty minutes. He showed me where to park so I would not get a ticket and left to get his friend. A few moments later I met them at a place called Billy Goode’s. We were suppose to have Fish and chips since they were priced 2 for 1 but that is when the best part of the evening happened. One night a year this place has a gourmet chef come and fix dinner. Needless to say fish and chips were not on the menu. The menu went something like this: Rhode Isl style clam chowder, caramelized onions no Jonny cakes green salad with apple shards/strawberry bits with vinaigrette dressing, lobster wellington, orange sherbert, short ribs in some kind of mushroom glaze, and desert white chocolate bread pudding in a cream sauce.
    Over dinner I learned he was a retired navy captain and his friend, we’ll call her Billie, was one of the people responsible for Isotoner gloves. What nice people they are, after dinner they showed me some of the homes that can be toured. Billie showed me her house which was built in the 1700’s and told me I have to come by for tea before I leave. ( I am hoping). Both of them are quite well know in the community as several people stop by to say Hi. Afterwards Dave took me around to a couple of local watering holes, and evidently Dave throws good parties from all the folks that came up and thanked him for the party he had last weekend. (An all day event catered ,with live music). Staying out way later than I had planned, but it was fun.
    They have also invited me to back to the restaurant another day for Fish and Chips Should be another fun evening

So much for a quick outing and a quiet dinner
    Hugs Phyliss
    TXCD best of both worlds

Platinum Member
    now that's a night out! I would have been happy with a quiet meal - to have such interesting company and an invite to tea....wow!

Sounds like a great time.
    Michelle