Thread: Tired of people telling me how to dress!!

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar

Tired of people telling me how to dress!!

Now that i've come out more, and i'm going out more as a lady, i've faced a new dilemna.......People telling me how to dress!!! to suit them!!!. All my life i've loved long dresses and long skirts, and when i go out I like wearing my long skirts regardless of whats in vogue, or what the latest fashions are. I've got a grlfreind, my mother and a few other CD's on my back wanting me t change. I said i'd buy a cuppla new shorter dresses, but I certainly am not wearing them out all the time. They say I dress to formal-like and that women dont go to nightclubs to twirl in long skirts. I've really had enough. Why should I change my style because of a nightclub or what people want to see me in??I've always loved my long dresses and I feel good in them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

What I say is dress the way you feel comfortable my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

You are dressing for yourself, not for anyone else. Dress how you want to dress. Others may make suggestions based on "passing", but you should always dress how you want to dress. Long dresses are great.

Freddy

Dress how you want to dress!
    As long as you don't mind standing out from the crowd, it's fine ! I do !

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Dress how your feel and not how others feel. We have our own styles. It took me years to start wearing pants enfem however I still love my skirts short or long.

Aspiring Member
    Although I doubt the band Weezer had crossdressing specifically in mind when they wrote this I still think its some good advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Wheezer
    I ain't gonna wear
    The clothes that you like
    I'm fine and dandy
    With the me inside
    One look in the mirror
    And I'm tickled pink
    I don't give a hoot
    About what you think

Like Amanda said as long as you're ok with standing out in a crowd wear what makes you feel the best!

Platinum Member
    I agree - dress for yourself.

[SIZE="3"]Frankly, it would be very good for our society, if millions more gg's wore long skirts and dresses AGAIN. Wear them, if that 's what you like to wear. Looks great to me![/SIZE]

Gold Member
    Some time you can never win, wear what you want, since you pretty much said so by coming already.

The way you dress can cause increased attention. The comments and the prodding may have more to do with them than you. For instance, sometimes if a cd'er is drawing too much attention to themselves it makes me very uncomfortable. I don't want to but that is the way it is. If it were me then I would modify my style to make them less uncomfortable. Clubs are all about short skirts and dresses. Maybe the question that you ask is if they are embarrassed or bothered to be with you when you were the long dresses or skirts. Depending upon their answer would determine what you should do.
    Michelle

Havin fun learning Ashleythenewgirl's Avatar
    I've spent my whole life thinking I had to please others to the point of losing myself and becoming a door mat. I found that is so wrong.
    Dress with what makes you happy, comfortable and feels good. You're not doing this for them. In my opinion they ought to support and accept who you are.
    If you want to be my friend I will welcome you with open arms.
    If you want to judge me, stay away and keep your mouth shut.

I would take their advice and try it on to see for myself, then decide what works for me. I think of my 5 year old daughter, she wears one dress that does not look that good on her...but it is her favorite, I tell her she might want to try another and there is no way...step out of your comfort zone, you might benefit.
    Chickie

Silver Member
    Said this many times before - you should always be comfortable and confident in whatever you choose to wear, regardless of what gender you are presenting! We are all "individuals", and if you enjoy wearing long skirts, then go for it.

You could be cheeky and in return tell them how to dress...then ask them how they feel, lol.