Thread: passing and being confident

passing and being confident

For those who don't know I am a transitioning veteran and work at a university. How's that for a start, yowser. Anyway the first day of classes was this Monday and like always the first day was a zoo. New students lost, faculty trying to get their first class in realizing they had not prepared well enough, and of course my favorite, the new IT equipment doesn't work as advertised. Sorry girls and guys who are IT people, this is higher ed so anything can and will happen.

Anyway I had worked on a project for the dance department all summer and put the finishing touches on the floor just before school started so I e-mailed the head of the department to let her know it was ready. Julie and I have worked together for 20yrs off and on and the project was such she did not need to see me for the past year. Well Monday morning I was heading for the Student Union and ran into her in the hall. Of course feeling confident and comfortable for a long time I called out to her and she looked and had this puzzled look on her face. So I walked over to her and said " Julie I would like to introduce you to Teri Jean Homer". The puzzled look vanished and the light came on, OMG it is you. Girl you look really great. That brief moment I did not care if she stared and disected every curve, it felt amazing.

Okay that was the work day and feeling good I headed to the Legion Post home for a cocktail after work. I was there for about an hour but had to leave for chores so as I was backing out I seen the past Commander I had replaced and called him over to the car. He says to me "mam can I help you?" to which I said no but I did want to say hi. Then again it was "Holy Sh*t Teri
    I did not recognize you" , and we talked for awhile before I had to run. I guess the day was a success and the boost one gets makes the decission all that more wonderful.

So girls and guys, get out there and strut your stuff. The world is waiting. Teri

That rocks sis. I love reading about all of the positive things that happen in the life of transitioning women (and the guys too). Too many times only the bad things get posted.
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

That's so awesome Teri. I'm very excited for you. Pretty avatar, too.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Teri Jean View Post
    So girls and guys, get out there and strut your stuff. The world is waiting. Teri
    Already doing it. It is a whole lot better to be out and about than locked away scared to do anything.
    Michelle

Thanks girls, it was one of those days one wants to share. Like Pam indicated there is so many times it is not a good day. Hugs to all. Teri

Hooray for Teri

Hi Teri -- Wow, what a wonderful day for you!! Like everyone else here, I'm happy for you and delighted at the joy you have been feeling. I have to confess that the wonderful reaction of your GG professional colleague, as superb as it is, somehow pales in comparison to the excellent, accepting reaction of the former Legion Commander -- I have to confess that my (totally unfair, stereotyped) assumption would have been to expect somebody in his position to be, well, frankly, a jerk -- for a guy such as he to react so warmly and with such acceptance is (at least for me) both eye-opening and mind-blowing -- (I guess I have some more work to do on my own open-mindedness!!) -- congratulations on a great day! Hugs - Diane.

DianeDeBris,

Just goes to show. btw I'm commander at my Legion Post and I'm mtf ts Post-op

never know where we will show up.

Danni