Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most embassing item you have bought.

i can buy panties, and bras, but i still get really embarassed to by shoes at a store, i don't know why

Panties were the first item I ever bought. I would walk around the women's section waiting for it to clear out. I would always buy manly things too for my cart. Nowdays nothing really bothers me.
    Ashley

The most embarrassing purchases were shoes and bras - but now I do not give a damn.

No real embarrasment I can recall but I did have my check card misappropriated last year (Visa called me about it at 8 AM on Sunday) so I had to go thru all that cancellation stuff. They have a person that calls to go over the other charges so that they can try to track down where the theft came from. She read over some names of companies I'd done business w/, all male type purchases i.e. Rockler Woodworking, Porter Cable, and then, "there are some charges here from Victoria's Secret, are you sure those are yours?"

It gave me great pride to say, "Oh, yes, I love their stuff and buy a lot there."

Ain't it grand?

I have bought all my girls clothes online. And it's building up quite a bit! Maybe one day I'll be brave but I'm quite happy. And it is nice having a new dress/shoes arrive at the door.

I used to be uncomfortable buying hose in person when I was standing at the register in shorts with totally shaved legs.

Since I just waxed off my entire eyebrows on a whim, I am pretty nervous about buying anything in person, even wearing a hat (which I always do anyway). I feel like my zipper is down or something, hehehe. Reminds me of the good ole' days of getting back to the car after a purchase and trying to grasp the realization that I actually found the nerve to buy something...

I have other examples, but if I shared them, I would have to kill you...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by eluuzion View Post
    Since I just waxed off my entire eyebrows on a whim, I am pretty nervous about buying anything in person, even wearing a hat (which I always do anyway).
    You could always pretend that you accidentally burned them off .

Seriously, I remember when my father lost most of his eyebrows lighting the fireplace. And the Mythbusters television show often shows the clip where one of the hosts completely lost one of his eyebrows in a flash fire.

I would buy things on-line but most likely my wife would be home when they arrived.

I haven't gotten up the nerve to buy anything in person except at a costume shop near halloween and their stuff is pretty much junk.

I'm thinking about Walmart, but you still have to stand there and pick out what you want and there's a person monitoring the self check out lanes. If I do it, I'll drive to the next town.

I really need a wig.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

A corset

It was a corset, a black one. I had been buying things in stores for years and had a full wardrobe, all my padding, forms, wigs and makeup already. But one day I stopped in a "speciality" store to see what they had and found the rack of corsets. I wandered around looking at the adult toys, books, clothing etc. and went back to the corsets again. I picked out the one I thought would fit me and took it to the counter.

The clerk asked if I wanted to try it on first.

It stopped me dead in my tracks and I felt like I did the first time I bought a bra. No, I felt worse because I thought I was over this kind of anxiety. I declined to try it on but bought it anyway. (It does fit, but I could have gone with the next size up). Next time I'm in that situation I'm going to the fitting room.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

nervous

I guess it was the first time I called a shop to purchase silicone breast forms and got an appointment. The lady tried them on me and I bought them.
    Since then I have come to realize that there are so many of us around that the SAs in any store are used to us so the lame excuse "for my wife" is really lame. Trust me just tell the SA that its for you. You will be surprised at what a nice reception you will get. When they say "anything else I can help you with" and you tell her that you have looked at skirts or something they will probably let you try on the outfits, lets chat..Janet

Not so embarrassed any more

Hi,
    The first time I bought a pair of size 11 thigh high boots I felt really embarrassed probably because they were kind of cheap. Now, I am shopping for fashion and I feel like I deserve to be shopping even in drab. Last time, I bought a pair of over the knee boots at Nordstroms and I even tried them on. The SA was really nice and said "come back any time". Just feel like you deserve to be shopping for stuff and it will feel better.'
    Hugs,
    Connie

[SIZE="2"]I feel uneasy when buying makeup.[/SIZE]

Still not comfortable

I think it was my first large purchase of makeup. This was back in 1980 when I was 15 years old. We used to get Jet & Ebony magazine. Fashion Fair cosmetics was heavily advertised in them since they owned the cosmetic line. We would also get a notice in the mail whenever they had a bonus gift with purchase at a department store. The notice had most of their line listed inside because you could order by mail and also receive the gwp. Well, I couldn't order anything and have it sent to the house. So, I made a list of items I wanted and went to Gimbels Department store. I was extremely nervous and walked around the store for awhile. I waited until no customers were at the counter and went up there. I told the SA that my sister sent me to pick up the items on the list I had written out. There were 9 items. A kind of starter kit for me. There was foundation, powder, a multi eye shadow compact, 2 lipsticks, lip gloss, 2 lip pencils, and blush. I believe it came to about $50. That was a lot of money to me but I had saved money from by birthday. The sales associate wrote a note to "my sister" on the back of the list I'd given to her. She told her that they were having a special the next month and to please come in. I've never bought that much at one time in person since. It was an adventure. My fear to this day is that someone I know will see me making a purchase of any fem product. Today I mostly buy online. However, earlier this year I did go to the cosmetic counter for foundation...with my list.

Quote Originally Posted by rachael j. View Post
    How about going through the checkout line of your favorite grocery store with a box of tampons or maxipads?
    NO biggie, I think people at the market have seen plenty of guys sent to buy personal hygiene stuff for their mates. My first purchase in a store of female clothing was when I was I think 26, in Macy's NYC store. While I was nervous as hell, it seemed no one thought it odd that I was buying bras and panties. UNTIL...I had bought 2 different size bras. The wonderful sales girl brought it to my attention, I must have turned beet red when she asked me what size I was. Trying to act as normal as possible, I just said I was buying from a list and assumed manufacturers sizes varied so it was probably fine. But she saw right through me; said Uhhhh, O.K., and continued to ring up the rest of my haul.
    The next and last time was about a year later, in another Macy's, up in the suburbs. This time, a nice lady (not working in the store) tried to help me pick out matching underwear sets, and even told me where I could get a nice powder blue slip at another store in my size that went with my bra and panty set. That was the last time I bought anything in a store. All online since then.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I'm not nervous about buying women's things anymore. It's being seen buying women's things by someone I know(I still in the closet).
    Cary

Here's the most recent experience for me. Victoria's Secret was having their Semi-Annual Sale and I went for some new panties.

First I was going through one of the sale bins and looked over and made eye contact with a girl I used to know in High School. (graduated in 2002). I was thinking oh please don't make a scene, please don't make a scene. Luckily she brushed it off and didn't say anything.

Then, when I was paying, the girl at the register started ringing up the panties and looked at me and said I don't think these will fit you in a joking way and I almost said I bet you they will LOL. I hope I didn't turn as bright red as I felt I did.

Oh, they all did fit so I showed her! LOL

Silver Member
    A few come to mind. The Chic Shaper I think is tops on my list. I was enmale and a young female was my cashier. Not many wives would ask thier husband to buy that for them. Foundation and eyeshadows, nail polish and press on nails are others.
    The two times I have had comments made about what I was buying were when I was truly shopping for my wife. I am pretty good at buying her dresses, skirts, tops shoes and even handbags. Well she asked me to just try and find a swimsuit off the clearance rack in her size. I found two and got really odd looks from the other, all female customers as I looked through the racks. At the cashier, she said "Oh giving a one piece suit a try, i see?" Now should could have meant it 2 ways but still.
    The other time was buying a handbag (which she ultimately loved). The cashier said "Wow, I wouldn't think that style would work as a men's messenger." She was right it was a satchel type with cute stitching. my reply was "I agree."

Well, all my first girly puchaces were kind of akward, untill I realised that #1, cashires are to busy to notice or care what a stranger is buying, and #2 I came to figgure that most folks would figgure I was buying for a wife/girlfrind/ or possibly a sister.

now a days I feel more akward buying drab things

Almost anything

I have no problem buying anything (apart from wigs) - and I've had plenty of the 'I'm sure it will fit you beautifully / hmmm, just your colour' comments when buying lingerie, normally from georgous young SA's. But the only really embarrassing time was when I bought a waist cincher from La Senza. the SA was young, pretty and charming, and the look in her eye clearly said 'I know it's for you'.

I'm normally pretty outgoing when buying this sort of thing, I've got a response to all comments, but all I could do was mumble 'thank you', give her a wink, and make my exit as quickly as possible.

I'm OK with buying outerwear, underwear or makeup in drab, though I do often shop en femme as well. I don't think I could go into a shop and buy breast forms though - it just seems weird. I got both my sets online.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

At age 12 I came across foam breast enhancers in a dept. store.It was 1959 and I lived in a very smalll town. But I wanted them so badly I wrote a note requesting them and signed My mothers name. The sales lady was a friend of my mother and questioned me for what seemed like an hour but finally sold them to me. Never did hear anything about it but I was terrified for weeks and could not look the sales lady in the eyes ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by rachael j. View Post
    How about going through the checkout line of your favorite grocery store with a box of tampons or maxipads?
    These are about the only items that I'm a little uneasy about purchasing. Not so much the cashier (they treat it like any other purchase) but more so the other shoppers in line behind me looking over my shoulder... But more and more I've just have gotten used to buying my girl things and pay no attention to what others may or may not be thinking.
    Lori

Shoes and makeup for me

admittedly, i crave the embarrassment

sounds a little silly, but i actually enjoy a little embarrassment when shopping. it's adds to an already thrilling experience.

the most embarrassing was perhaps the first time i bought a bra. there's no reason for a man to buy a bra unless he's going to wear it. and that first time is always the most difficult to get over. i felt like everyone was looking at me.

or, there's the time i bought a single pair of panties at Victoria's Secret. if i'm buying several pair or if i'm buying several items, it's quite plausible i could be buying a gift for a wife or gf, but one pair of panties? nope. the attractive middle aged woman who checked me out new instantly, my voice was constricted, and i'm sure i was blushing. it was so obvious.

then, there was a recent MAC makeup salon. very upscale. a young man at the door waiting for his gf was totally wide eyed that i was in there looking around. inside the place was full of fantastic looking well dressed women. i asked about full coverage foundation, and the very helpful sales rep smiled knowingly. even though she was wonderful at setting me at ease, it was still embarrassing.

i'm getting over it as time passes, but i'll never totally be stress free shopping for my girly things. at least i hope not!

gretchen

Yes,I am a bit shy buying make up.I find that I am overwhelmed with choice so I am trying to look,listen,read and learn and then purchase.Really want to get proper advice on make up so looking forward to this.