Thread: World - meet Shelby, Shelby - meet the world

World - meet Shelby, Shelby - meet the world

Today was my first big day of going out into the cold, cruel, judgemental world. Two of my gg friends agreed to go out with me on a Girls Day Out which included Olive Garden and shopping. First let me say that shopping is exhausting work. Being a woman is no easy task either and Dress Barn is awesome! So I had been kinda freaking out all day Friday and Saturday morning. I had a headache and an upset stomach. Then "L" came over with her son and I started to "get my girl on." I choose a demin capris and white peasent blouse that I found at Target days earlier, very cute. Next came the makeup and then the hair. We were running a little late to Olive Garden but timed it right with meeting up with "K." She was a little nervous about how she would handle seeing me for the first time all done up considering we dated a few times and...well nevermind. Suffice to say, she was totally cool with me. So in we go - moment of truth being seen by people. OMG the staring, the laughing, the pointing, the WTF is that that just walked in the door - freak!!!! Wait nope, that didn't happen. Instead it was a man saying hello "Ladies" and he showed us to a table. Then it was the waiters turn, hello "Ladies" and the people at the next booth that could see me, no they were to interested in making googly eyes at "L's" baby boy. I must admit, I had a hard time excepting whenever someone would say "Ladies," it was like don't you people realize that I am a dude in women's clothes, come on, take a closer look. Ok there was one guy who was looking occasionally at me but he would go back to talking about something else to his girl. As a thank you to L and K, I paid for lunch and used my check card, thank god they do all of that at the table. Now L had to do some pumping so K, the baby and I went for a walk around the area through their fake downtown. Busy with traffic and pedestrians and no one had an accident or got killed in the crosswalks due to me, cause that would have sucked.

Then it was on to a strip Mall and Dressbarn. We went into DB first and started browsing, found the clearance racks and some ugly tops even my Grandma wouldn't wear. I mean please, some of those tops were just screaming, "buy me and lets go play shuffleboard down in Florida with all the other retirees." Then we found some tops, then some dresses, then more dresses. Pretty soon we had an arm load of about a dozen or more items for me to try on. An SA came over and took them for us and placed them in a large fitting room. It was large enough for all three of us and a stroller to fit and yes this might seem weird, but L and K were so cool and I was wearing a few layers of undergarments, layers being the operative word here. There were some dresses that I really liked, one dress was sort of a 50's style metallic purple, just awesome, but the collar was so big and bulky. Most dresses would require taking in or they were tight in the underarms giving me armpit cleavage. I ended up buying a top and a top/sweater set that I can wear with many other things in my closet.

Then we decided to check out the TJ Max store in the mall for perhaps a skirt and I have been wanting a hoodie, something casual but cool like the Pink Brand at VS. First we headed down the mall and no one stared. They all just walked right by me without even paying attention. Why is it when I want women to acknowledge that I exist, I can't even get them to blink in my general direction? This was the one time that I didn't want any of that and of course no one looked. I live in Minnesota, and we are known for being "Nice" and polite, but there is no way that everyone in the St. Louis Park area got the "Be nice to the Crossdresser" message.

So now we are in TJ Max and it is busy and this kinda caught me off guard because everything else was quiet in the mall. All the racks are close together and lots of people moving around each other, so this would be a huge test. I was always aware of my surroundings but it was fun to just browse the racks looking for things to consider owning. No hoodies, didn't really find a skirt but I found some grey slacks to try on. I always loved the wool winter coats that women wear that extend down beyond the butt a little and are usually in black, grey or white. White is the cutest color for those coats, so we started looking. Found some, but most just didn't fit right and were awfully expensive. So both L and I went to try on our items, we both struck out on those. By now, I was in need of a bathroom. So we wandered around the mall and found the public restrooms and well I certainly can't go into the guys looking like this. Ugh, layers, ugh fake fingernails, ugh buttons and zippers. How do women even survive the day. I can't even cheat and stand up like Mrs. Doubtfire cause there are other women in the bathroom and that would just be to loud. The vending machines have totally different products then in the mens. It is all condoms. Who goes to the mall and suddenly decides "hey I need a condom," tampons, yes that is necessary. So I came out - of the bathroom and found the 2 sitting on a bench looking exhausted. I sat down and we watched other people and talked a little. We were tired and decided it had been a long day, it was nearing 6pm. So we headed out to the car, dopped K off and L, and her son and I headed back to my place. It felt good to "get my girl off." It was only then that I realized - NO FREAKING PICTURE except for one bad closeup of just my face and I can't use it.

I do want to thank L and K for being with me. Only a few months ago, I kept Shelby locked away from the world, I took her out a few times but that was small in comparison to today. I am thankful that I found this site. A few years ago when I was preparing to dress as a woman for a interactive murder mystery, I checked this place out. I resisted the idea of admitting what I always knew I was. I thought that it was just something that will go away or I can deny. I even tried not coming here for awhile, but that didn't last long. Soon I was in for a penny, in for a pound and contributing and making friends. I have so many great friends here and love you all. This site does bring out a side of me that does effect how I live my life as a guy and for the better. If there are any real women out there reading this and coming to terms with your guy wanting to dress please know this, he is a better human being because of this but is no less of a man or less of the man you love. I hope that I find a woman who will love and except me for how I live my life. I am also thankful for being a guy when it comes to shopping cause that is way more easier and cheaper, so thank you genetics for balls. I have a great life even if it isn't all complete yet.

Shelby

Shelby let me be the first to say congradulations on your new found freedom of being yourself. Now don't you wish you took heed of all the great advice of every person on this site that said, being yourself is no big deal, that no one in this great big cruel world gives a darn that you are who you are, that you're spending your hard earned money on yourself. No excuses necessary.
    I just hope all the other nervous nellies out there will read your post and follow in your foot steps, and go out and just be theirselves.

Oh and Just a side note. Alot of my extended family is in Minnisota. I went there in 1985 for a family reunion. I went out as Lisa Marie with family members and alone and I was proud to do so. I was free to be me in a land I knew nothing about.
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Wow! Shelby! Let me join the rest of the world to greet you with a big smile and a hug!
    warmly, Linnea

Havin fun learning Ashleythenewgirl's Avatar
    Shelby, congratulations on such a successful day out there in the world! This is a real inspiration and thank you for posting good details.
    Ashley
    If you want to be my friend I will welcome you with open arms.
    If you want to judge me, stay away and keep your mouth shut.

Congratulations on making that leap, but it so much easier with someone to guide you. Sounds like you have 2 great friends who were definitely there for you. Since it was your first time we will let it pass, but next time we will require pictures.
    Michelle

Yeaaaa Shelby!!! I saw your thread and figured I had better refill my coffee, so glad I did. What a fun read. You told your story in such an entertaining way. I really like how you threw us for a minute, commenting on all the "looks/laughs/stares" ...I was horrified for you, even if only for a split second.

Now being with other women, and a child for that matter, tends to enhance our blendability factor. I'm not bringing this up to diminish anything about your experience in any way. Rather, it's just something to keep in mind when the day comes that you go out either alone or with another TG friend, that you might perceive a little more going on around you. Then again, with your look, there's a good chance that no one will ever be the wiser.

Regardless, I know you weren't feeling well before hand but I'm glad you went through with the outing. Cherish the memories forever and use the experience to spring into many more of these in the future.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

What a day,you are totally over the hump.So happy you had a good time.My first full day out was in may,I'll never forget going from full paranoia to total elation in the span of a few short hours.

Hope you took some great pics of the day.

Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar
    You did it! I forgot to check here before I PM'ed you. That trip sounds heavenly. What a dream to be able to try on clothes all girlie like and go into the women's restroom. I knew you were being sarcastic in the beginning because you look too good to cause any sort of bad commotion. I bet you blended perfectly. I wonder, Did you talk in a girl voice? I would suppose so. This for me is the biggest hangup with going out. I think I have got it down but one never knows. Well it sounded like you did what you set out to do and enjoyed it. Isn't that what life is about? My turn.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won

Gold Member
    Congrats Shelby! Sounds like we have another great shopping post writer. It is just wonderful to have friends that will go out with you and have a good time with. I can empathize with you on the pictures. I didn't think of pictures on my last two shopping trips until the end of the day, so they weren't my best. But maybe next time???

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Shelby, I also have been guilty of living in the moment so much that I forget all about pictures until the end of the day where my hair is wilted, my makeup has run away, and I don't feel like the pretty little thing that I did that morning. Trust me, you're forgiven.

Mostly, you're forgiven because of your great story! Thanks so much for the detail, your thoughts, and them even more detail. Thanks for letting us live a vicarious girl's day out with your friends. It sounded like a winner!

Kathi

Yay! Glad you had fun.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

We here in Florida are insulted!

I live in a County that has more Nudist Colonies and Resorts, than any other County in The United States. Those Folks ain't playing shuffleboard in Anything from The Dress Barn!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Congrats!

Congratulations on getting out for the first time Shelby! If your profile pic is any indication, I'm certain you blended right in. I hope you have nothing but continued success in your outings. You go girl!

Hugs,
    Jen

Platinum Member
    Shelby, I'm so glad your weekend went so well! Congratulations and thanks to your friends, L & K for all thier support!