Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Percentage of Male Population as CDs

Percentage of Male Population as CDs

I'm wondering if there are any published scientific studies on what percentage of males (in developed countries) are CD ers?

Anyone know?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

All of the estimates are just that. Wild fabrications of facts. Some CD'ers won't admit it on a confidential survey for fear of being outed. So you can never count or scientifically estimate the # of cd'ers in society. There are a lot of cd'ers on here and everyday we have a new member join us who tells of dressing for 30-40 years without telling a sole.
    Michelle

o HAVE ALWAYS HEARD THE NUMBER IS ABOUT 10% OF MALES CROSSDRESS TO SOME DEGREE

10% is the number I have seen also, but some suspect that number to be higher.

I have recently read an article that stated on 1% of the male population but that figure is def. too low.

I know the number for gay men is 10%, but I would add another 10%+ to that for dressers. So you are lookin at least 10% that like to dress, and then there are a good percentage of Gay' that like to dress. Oh, and lets not forget the gg's that love to dress as men. That increases the normal population down to probobly around 50 %....so think about it....about half of the people you see are really just plain straight...no bonuses added....I am so happy I have my bonuses...You may have a different outlook, when you walk out in public and think about the fact that half of the people that you see are in the closet somewhat if not standing in there all the time................Drew

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    There are studies and papers, yes, but they tend to contradict one another, or tend to be focused on different things.

For example, one UK study reportedly found on the order of 60% of males had put on women's clothes at some point in their lives -- but we recognize that in order to be a "cross-dresser" that the person has to do so or have the desire to do so over a prolonged period, not just an incident of "Everything we brought for you is dirty; can you wear your sister's T-shirt for a couple of hours until we get home?"

I have seen figures for cross-dressers as low as 0.01%; I have seen figures for cross-dressers that were more than 20%. The figure I see most often as anything more than a bald estimate is 6%.

Even "resource" sites seldom report anything more than very rough estimates, or report estimates for transsexuals rather than cross-dressers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilpainter35 View Post
    I know the number for gay men is 10%, but I would add another 10%+ to that for dressers. So you are lookin at least 10% that like to dress, and then there are a good percentage of Gay' that like to dress.
    "10%" homosexual is a very rough approximation from the original Kinsey studies, and the more modern studies tend to use lower figures.

The papers and books I look at tend to assert that homosexual men do not, on the whole, like to cross-dress. But that will of course remain just as an assertion until someone manages to find some real figures.
    Last edited by sandra-leigh; 09-06-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: reply to incoming post

I'm sorry but it's all just a big guessing game. How many of us on here have ever been asked on a survey if you are Trans, or even if you are Gay, I do polls all the time, I've never been asked. Doctors may do estimates based on Patience they see, but who counts all of us in the closet, and have never sought out treatment for it. Until all the negative connotations are removed there will never be away to know just how many of us there really are. Unless "THEY" are watching my credit card bills!
    Tina B.

Here are my thoughts on it. Being gay or lesbian is almost impossible to hide for the whole of your life, even if one tries to cover it up it is likely to surface at some time. Plenty of gay men live in denial only to fail in their heterosexual marriages at some time.
    Crossdressing is very different insofar as one can be a crossdresser and be happily married for many years and there's no real need to go public, even to the natural end of the marriage. Oh, and I'm refering to continual crossdressers, not the type that tried on their sisters bra when they were 5 years old and never revisited the pleasure due to guilt.

If we take into account everyone from fetishist CD'ers to transitioning TG\TS's (whatever your prefered tag) I think there are quite a few of us around.
    So, if the official (albeit approximate) percentage of gay males is about 2% of the population, there is a fair chance of the percentage of MtoF crossdressers being higher, just because they're not 'out' doesn't nean they don't exist.
    Regarding what is written above: Avoid friendly fire, it causes unnecessary tension. Seek clarification if theres any hint of misunderstanding.

Take care.

As was said in a club I used to belong to, when asked how many of us their were, the answer is "Enough".

I've always heard the 10% and added 5% to it for those who wanna but don't yet. The biggest rule of statistics to learn is that 33.3% of them are made up on the spot!
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

I have a question for the ladies here who work in emergency rooms. How many men who come into the emergency room(for real emergencies, not just a cold) have things like panties on or painted toe nails?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjenny20 View Post
    I have a question for the ladies here who work in emergency rooms. How many men who come into the emergency room(for real emergencies, not just a cold) have things like panties on or painted toe nails?
    Not going to give you an accurate number. I heard a couple (presumed) normal guys talk about how their daughters have painted their toe nails. And then a lot of us strip off the makeup and polish the minute we're done.
    A significant portion of the population shaves now.
    And aside from trauma victims, many people that go to the er would have time to change clothes, although I know you tried to constrain that population.

When it's all said and done, your study's sample group would be fairly limited and not representative. Nice try though with your line of thought of getting them in a situation where they don't have control.
    —Mikaela

I think it is impossible to know.

But the percentage of male population in this forum that crossdress is very high! LOL

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I don't have anything close to an answer for that -- but it may interest you to know that a couple of weeks ago there was a news item about a hotel chain's lost-and-found department, in which one of the people at the large chains estimated that one in four men travel with a stuffed animal.

Aspiring Member
    Who cares? I know that I am a crossdresser and you are a crossdresser and whether the percentage is 1% or 10% is simply a way of telling the general public that I am not a freak/deviant/or any label you wish to use that we are not alone and that there are many of us in the world. It is a statistic that can't be validated and is probably not important to anyone who not a crossdresser or married or related to one.

my wife doesn't care about that percentage number, whether it's 1 % or 10% out of men. She would give a lot to heal me from CD, knowing that she can't.

Linda,

It is hard to put CD as a percentage of male population.

It depends on how you define it.

Is it only the wearing of womens clothing?

Is it the fantasy about wearing womens clothes?

Is it wanting to be a woman?

No, it is actually all of these and more.

No measure can ever be made that could be accurate.

Percentages as a whole don't tell the story, they are someones guess.

Danni

The thing about statistics is that you can twist them to support whatever cause or theory you happen to be "selling" on any given day.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 6 out of every 3 statisticians have problems with math.

I have created one formula that calculates the number of males, then the number of closets in an average household, then combines the totals and uses a percentage of high heels over 5" with a size 10 or larger as a refractatory imalgatrant to compensate for the legariance factors, eliminating the multicity complex of regression agents in gene inhibitors, which leaves a median population spread over a variance of +/- 12. But it is not very applicable to the total population of undecided malfeasant variables. I am still working on the formula. I will get back to you later...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We will never know the real answer but most of the unofficial surveys I have read over the years indicates it is probably around the 5% mark. I don't think higher estimates are likely because if it was very prevalent then it would be commonplace for SOs to find out and the behavior would be more known in society.

Actually I think all males are CD's. simple because all males have female hormones and also all woman are CD's also because they all have male hormones. The problem is fear of what others will say.

If we are talking about just putting on the clothes and not necessarily into dressing up all the way. And. if you add in those who have a fetish for wearing certain articles the number is more like 20%

Not from me personally, but we have a friend who is an emergency room nurse and she commented about a male patient one night that once they got his shoes and socks off they found his toenails painted pink.

He told them he was babysitting his three year old niece and she painted them and that he didn't know he would be in an accident later.

Truth or fiction - ? I don't know.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Thanks. I guess it's never been studied and as some have pointed out, it needs to be defined before it can be studied.

In my mind, a CDer wears one or more article of female clothes for more than a few minutes at a time on a regular basis and has bee doing so for, let's say. a year or more.

Obviously, some take it a lot further.

This is a very interesting and tantalizing question. I think about this from time to time in search of some validation, I guess. Mathematically or statistically speaking, you probably could make some guesses based on the number of hits to this site (remember there are more than a few "guests" at any given time) vs. the number of users online and th enumber of hits to other non-CD sites of various kinds. I'll bet some PhD has done a dissertation on some obscure but pretty accurate algorithm for just this sort of application (they either work for the NSA or Google .

Seriously though - it sure would be nice to have an answer as to how rare or common we really are. And how many guy's would admit it if they knew that say 20-30% of men enjoy it but don't do it regularly and 10-15% are hardcore lipstick and lace luvin, high heeled, tight skirted, perfumed, sensitive, sensuous men.

Lauren