Thread: I'm a beginner. Any advice?

Post I'm a beginner. Any advice?

I am a college student in Wisconsin and am new to this sight. I have done a little crossdressing in the past, but have never been out in public. The reason I started crossdressing is because I find it so fascinating that a single person can so completely change their identity from who they originally were.

Last year around Halloween was the biggest step I took in crossdressing. I actually went to a Savers and bought a dress, sandles, purse, and wig. I told them that I had lost a bets with some friends and was going to a party. Of course the cashiers looked at me weird and one made, "Oh, one of those comments."

I've tried finding one of those places to get "transformed" professionally in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, or Illinois; but have pretty much come up empty handed.

I'm just curious as to if there is any advice from past experiences you would be willing to share.

Grace, don't worry about making up excuses to buy things, just go buy it. I get nervous when I shop as well, but I just pick out items, take it to the register and make my purchase. The only time you will get a look or comment is when you do the excuse thing. They really don't care unless you show your nervousness.

Another tip to shopping is this: If you can, go when they first open on a weekday when mostly everyone is at work, you will find you have the store to yourself.

Also, there is a transformation place in Il. It is called Transformations by Rori and is located in Arlington Heights. I have been there a few times, but have never had a transformation there. The prices are a bit high there, but it is a very friendly place with extremly helpful staff.

Hope some of that helps.

Silver Member
    Yeah, one thing that you need to remember is that those SA do this for a living. They see people all day every day. You are not the first CDer to go in their store and you won't be the last. They have heard every silly excuse, and explanation you can think up and more. They really don't care. They know all about crossdressing. Give up with the silly stories.

Stephie

Hi Grace! I agree with Melody and say just grin and shop!
    I've found that if you're candid and friendly with the SA's, they're decent enough to be polite, at least. Sometimes they're really quite pleasant and are extra helpful. If you feel insecure just remind yourself that there is no harm in what you're doing. Maybe thinking about how fabulous you will look wearing your purchase later will help bring a smile. And you being happy and relaxed is the surest way to relax the people you interact with!
    - Jacky ^_^/

Gold Member
    Hi Grace. Here's a transformation service up in Racine that I came across while searching for these services in the Il-Wisc area. I've never used it, but from their website, they seem very professional. As for getting the nervous jitters when buying fem stuff, that'll go away once you realize that the SA's don't care, and if they do make any comments, it's really NONE of their business. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.tgmiss.com/index.htm

Don't worry about the SA's. You are the weirdest thing they have seen so just have fun. Buy what you want when you want it. Learning how to dress and go out is a journey so enjoy the ride.
    Michelle

Grace,
    There is a wonderful transformation service in Arlington Heights, IL. The web site is:
    http://www.transformationsbyrori.com/

They can definitely help you begin your journey as well as introduce you to the Chicago TG community.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice

Quote Originally Posted by G.Grace View Post
    I am a college student in Wisconsin and am new to this sight. I have done a little crossdressing in the past, but have never been out in public. The reason I started crossdressing is because I find it so fascinating that a single person can so completely change their identity from who they originally were.
    More Advice!! Stop obsessing over crossdressing and study and get your degree... Crossdressing won't make you a living... (Though beware it can ruin one). That is unless your really really good! Lol.

And btw... Who said we were changing our identity of who we originally were?
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    LOL Karren I love your attitude!!
    Grace the SA's only want to make the sale they really don't care what you buy.
    I have had some pick out stuff for me at their request so I let them.Some at check out say things like OMG this is so cute what are you going to wear with it?
    Just have fun and roll with it who cares what others think anyway!
    Side note I have had some great dates with SA's.

what i would say is just take it all at your own pace...you dress for yourself and your own happiness so find what your comfortable with and stick to that until you wish to explore more and then go down that path...

i am in a similar position and have been looking for a transformation place in melbourne, australia without much luck but im sure you will be fine...

Karen,

It is nice to see that you have returned (or are posting more). I have missed your input on so many of the serious issues that we all face.

I live in western WI and I can tell you that it is a little different here. I have been CD ing for 45 years and I do under dress around here but usually not full dress close to home. I know to many people and my kids all live in the area and would not want they to know. I always wanted to have a makeover and a few years ago while in Vegas I jumped in. Glad I did. Going back in Oct and am going to have another one. Take your time, enjoy the moments, but don't take the chance of getting caught unless you are ready for it. If I had it to do over, I would as a lot younger person, take the step and go to the bigger city and if nothing else dress and do a little shopping. Like my SO says, nobody knows you. I did have a SA tell me after she checked me out that out, "that she hoped they fit" I simply said, "I hope so too". She just smiled.

Silver Member
    If you are not comfortable buying things in person, you can always shop online. You might be able to save money at the same time as well (you can find some incredible bargains on eBay etc.)