Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr Watson's gender disorientation and indecision scales applied to biological males

Dr Watson's gender disorientation and indecision scales applied to biological males

I just ran across this on another site. I figure I am somwhere between 3 and 4. I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard of this and where do you rank?

Watson Table
    Group One: Low Intensity Transvestite
    Gender Identity: Feminine identification only with acting out sexual fantasies.
    Gender Role: Normal Male. Cross-dressing intermittent and private.
    Eroticism: Genital-heightened arousal when cross-dressed.
    Biological Feminization: No desire.
    Conflicts: Guilt over normalcy, spousal disapproval.
    Desire for Re-assignment: Not considered.
    Treatment: Provide information and reassurance. Couples therapy. If impulses are ego-alien use behaviour modification, setting limits on cross-dressing sufficient to control guilt but enough to allow emotional relief.

Group Two: Medium Intensity Transvestite
    Gender Identity: Appeal for Femininity may spill over into non-sexual life.
    Gender Role: Cross-dressing more pressured, fetishistic and exhibitionistic. Intermittent relapse of intense need to act on feminine impulses related to stress alternating with reduced desire.
    Eroticism: Genital-some breast.
    Biological Feminization: If impulses ego-alien may use spironolactone to reduce libido.
    Conflicts: Guilt and sexual performance anxiety, threatened masculinity fear of aging.
    Desire for Re-assignment: Fleeting under stress.
    Treatment: Insight-oriented psychotherapy to identify and modify sources of stress. Negotiate compromise in transvestitic behaviour such as dressing under male clothing.

Group Three: Transvestitic Transsexual
    Gender Identity: Ambivalent gender identity. Value male sex organs but feel feminine. "She-Male"
    Gender Role: Dresses as much as possible depending on life circumstances. Dressing not necessarily sexual. Impulses often intensify with age and may crystalize into a transsexual picture.
    Eroticism: Genital and breast.
    Biological Feminization: Spironolactone for demasculinization + gynecomastia. Some may need hormones for emotional balance.
    Conflicts: Confusion and personality disorganization, dual personality with male and female names and disassociated personality components.
    Desire for Re-assignment: May consider late if very inadequate as males, dependent on commitments.
    Treatment: Integrative psychotherapy to stabilize androgeny. Support for re-assignment if appropriate.

Group Four: Moderate Intensity Transsexual
    Gender Identity: Feel female but able to supress until age 30-50. Increasing dichotomy with age.
    Gender Role: Try macho lifestyle to compensate. Increasing depression and anxiety over time. Never comfortable as males.
    Eroticism: Genital if fantasizing self as female. Low libido.
    Biological feminization: Requested late or intermittent.
    Conflicts: Guilt, loss + fear of passing. Fear of rejection. Confused sexual orientation. Desire for
    Re-assignment: Re-assignment hoped for, often attained.
    Treatment: Supportive psychotherapy for symptomatic relief, family therapy, education group for stabilization of female identity.

Group Five: High Intensity Transsexual
    Gender Identity: Total gender inversion. Never able to supress femininity. Feminine boys.
    Gender Role: Dressing insufficient relief. Cross-live early.
    Eroticism: Often asexual.
    Biological Feminization: Urgent request. Late teens, early 20's.
    Conflicts: Stigma of re-assignment. Family and cultural attitudes.
    Desire for Re-assignment: Urgently requested. Self-mutilate if too long frustrated.
    Treatment: Education support and family therapy. Assisting process of re-assignment
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put me in catagory 4 for the most part.
    A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

I am between 3 and 4 also.
    Danielle

I'm almost certain I'm group 4...

Mostly a 4 I think

I am a 0 then ....
    The label does not apply.
    No feminine identification.
    The activity is not viewed as "crossdressing".
    Always genitally aroused, even when "in drab".
    Negative desire for biological feminization.
    No guilt. no spousal disapproval.
    Re-alignment considered and rejected.
    No need for counselling.

I'm probably a 5... not sure how much stock I put into this scale, though.

Put me in between 3 and 4 as well.

transvestic transsexual? Wow. This Watson...he is like....wow. I am at a loss really. Do they all need "treatment"? Wonder what his focus group was like...how many. what was the standard deviation?...OH it would be the group one who do it for sexual gratification. Methinks Watson should stick to solving crimes with Mr Holmes.

I just want to add this looks like a publish or perish study.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

http://www.genderpsychology.org/transsexual/watson.html

what is the Kinsey's Gender Disorientation Scale?

I can't decide...1 to 4 all have components that I experience sometimes... the only thing I can say is I'm not number 5.
    Chickie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Some from Group One, some from Group 2. I won't cop to being a 1 1/2 anything!
    Where's the "Mr. Holmes" scale of gender deviation?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I must call it.

B.S.!!!

Very VEry limited. Scale there.

Once again treating this as some sort of disease that needs treatment.

Is there such a test for women?

This scale in some ways I find both sexist, as well as insulting. I can't find one of these that even matches me. I have no desire for reasignment, I just wish to look and dress how I wish (lol, and still attract women...fat chance). When I dress I don't find my self "acting feminine" I can't even say what the heck that means.

The only reason there would be treatment needed is so I do not mess with someone else's concept of reality.

After careful analysis, I am from group <error: no match found>.

This scale is very, very limited. I don't fit any of the descriptions offered in the eroticism, conflict, or gender-role categories. I identify as male, feminine aspects of my dressing cross over into everyday life, my dressing is not private, and my dressing creates no conflicts, internal or not. I agree with Pythos, why does this guy feel that crossdressing is a disease that needs treatment? This is just another attempt by someone who has little understanding of crossdressing to pigeon hole us into neat little categories (and then have us all declared insane and locked away from society at large).

You can have one item from Column A, and one item from Column B. Or you can get everything in The Buffet starting at $8.95 for Lunches' on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
    Does seem like a bit of A Menu....don't it?

But, I'm not surprised. Looks like another attempt to put some type of label and "ranking" on our behavior. I've seen far worse criteria, with worse intent from others in The Shrinko Community. The problem is that we are all so Individual. it does a lot of harm to try and "trap" us into some Profile Box or DSM Gobbledygook. I know The Insurance Companies, and The Doc's Ego's demand that they do this. I just think it doesn't work for Individuals.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    OH it would be the group one who do it for sexual gratification. .
    You are soooo funny Lori!

hmmmmmm...this is one of those times when you have to select one answer from a list of choices where none of them is an exact "fit".

So, let's see... I probably excude all of the sexual stuff and none of the "anxiety, ego, and guilt" characteristics of 1,2,3.

How is that for a political response...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To much psycho-babble, and I don't need treatment.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

Before anyone gets too worked up over this I too believe it is BS. I just thought it would be a fun excercise to see where we fall on yet another crackpot scale. Me thinks some of us take things a little too seriously.

Sorry if I got anyones heart started. it was not my intention to assign labels
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Of those I guess I fit 3 the most. I wouldn't say I especially fit 4.

The references to treatment here are not in the sense of "curing" but rather in the sense of helping the person to stabilize and control their life. For example the "treatment" suggested for group 3 is to make the person comfortable with being androgynous, and to support their wish for SRS if they so desire. That's a very different "treatment" suggestion than would be the case if the scale was considering all this as a "disease".

If I were to be categorized into a group, then number 5 it would be.

however it's too vague and not as clear cut as whats described in the list, everyone is different, so he's making a guesstimate at best

Interesting. While it clearly doesn't cover everything, it's significantly better than the 2 broad classifications of transvestite or transexual.

Group four is my closest match.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Aspiring Member
    I would say I fit into Class 4

I would have to say I think I fit in between 2 and 3 on this.
    It has the appearance of trying to lock someone into a specific category and I think that doesn't really work because people don't come out of cookie cutters.
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

Dr. Watson....who's he?
    FAIL.
    A real pschologist doesn't classify scenarios in this manner.
    1. This leaves too many unanswered questions, and has too many holes.
    2. The human imagination is far too complex and varied from person to person. There are too many variables.