Thread: Coming out to my family

Coming out to my family

Hi everyone. I know I haven't posted in a while but I thought my experience so far was worth mentioning. I finally decided to come back home to my family and let them know about me. I felt that in order for me to move forward, they must know. A few days ago I told my mom how I felt. She assured me that I was her child and nothing would change her unconditional love for me. Over the next few days, I educated her on what transgenderism was. Yesterday She got to meet her new daughter. She was surprised at how well I carried myself. I was joined by two of my closest girlfriends and we had a girl's day out. It was so fun. Last night she wanted me to tell my dad but I wasn't ready. She decided to tell him. He also took it well. We went to lunch and I talked to him and why I decided to wait so long to tell him. He was very understanding and said that he was proud of me no matter what. So far, only one friend has had a problem with me. He keeps telling me stuff like I'll always be alone if I go through this and that I will always be a man pretending to be a woman. He is very closed minded and believes he can "change me back". He doesn't understand that there is nothing to change. I'm just granting him the privilege of knowing the true me instead of hiding. I know some of you will read this and say that I should drop him as a friend but we have 23 years of friendship behind us. I can be patient with him. He just needs to educate himself. The last people that I need to tell is my two brothers and my sister-in-law. I hope it goes well as it has so far. I'll remain positive. Thanks for reading.

It's a wonderful feeling to feel like you are actually talking about your own life!! It's even better when you are accepted...i hope it goes really well for you!

Thank you Kaitlyn. Just in case it didn't, Eileen flew over here so I wouldn't be alone and driving back to Arizona under emotional distress. She is a wonderful friend. She wanted me to visit you when you were in Phoenix.

No greater gift could your parents give you than their acceptance. You are a very lucky woman.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

You have a great family!
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!

Yes I do. My brother will be finding out in a few mins. I hope all goes well.

Katelyn, I am so happy for you and if Mom and Dad are fine your brothers will probably be there also. It is important to recieve support from family as they are forever.

Well, my brothers know. I have the support from all of my immediate family and all of my friends. Even the friend that doesn't understand will still accept me.

Be free - overcome fear!
    Youre very lucky woman indeed - there is no chance that I will ever be accepted by my family... Ive been an
    outcast & the blacksheep in my family all my life & now Im transitioning there is absolutely no hope left at all.
    Last edited by Melody Moore; 10-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Katelyn,

It sounds as if things could not have gone much better. Hopefully your friend will see the comfort and happiness in you over time and know he is wrong. In between, everyone loves and supports you for you. That is the greatest feeling ever!!

Veronica

I'm very happy for you, katelyn. It's always heartwarming to see families do what families should. Hope it continues for you.

HUgs,

Melissa
    What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun-Radiohead

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/melissa.c.keiper

Katelyn, you have guts that I wish that I could have. So glad to hear that you have the acceptance from your family and that you can embark on your journey.

Jeanna

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    Katelyn , I am so happy things are going so well for you , you have have a good family . Sorry we did not get the chance to meet when I was down there last July , perhaps another day. All my best .

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy

I commend you for your courage but even more importantly for valuing your friendship of 23 years. It is often too easy to turn away and give up on people. I salute you for the strength and perseverance you afford others. With a mindset like yours, you are sure to succeed beyond your dreams. Congrats!

p.s. I forgot to add that you seem to have a level of maturity that far exceeds your physical age and that is something else to be very proud about.
    Last edited by Traci Elizabeth; 10-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Hi Katelyn,
    Seems like I'm always the last to know lol. As I've stated many times I'm like so totally proud of you and your forward movement toward becoming the princess you are indeed meant to be. As time continues you'll start to realize as I said, many insurmountable mountains will peak and the rest is easier. I have like absolute belief in you girl and I hope you know I'm here for you, even though we sometimes don't mesh. Someday you will run around or wutever day to day as the true beautiful girl you are & I hope I can be included as small part of your world. I'm soooo proud to know you, congrats on a super big goal from the bottom of my heart. Luv Ya girlfriend....MARSEA

Hi Katelyn,

Well done for being so brave. All of us know what a scary thing it is to have to tell your family. and what a wonderful mother and father you have! I hope that all goes well with the brothers and sister-in-law. It is a big step on the way to being your true self.

Take care,

Maryanne

You did it Katelyn! With a Mom and Dad like you have, their acceptance was almost certain. My reason for being there with you, at the very important time in your life, was more to share in your joy than be there to pick up the pieces. You are a beautiful young lady inside and out and I could not be more proud of you.

Eileen
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Katelyn, what a superb result! And you certainly earned it by putting your love for your family and friends into action. I always yearned to tell my mother who I really was, but she died before I had worked up the courage to trust her love for me. The person who gave birth to me went to her grave without ever knowing me. Bless you for doing the right thing, the loving thing.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Katelyn, with your family's support, everything will be so much easier. When I came out to my family last Sunday and was completely accepted, I decided I was full time right then. With your family and friend's support, I'm sure you will have a easy transition.

Paula Cohen

Good for you too, Paula. Living the dream!

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
    Well, my brothers know. I have the support from all of my immediate family and all of my friends. Even the friend that doesn't understand will still accept me.
    An outstanding result Katelyn. Kudos to you for having the courage to tell everyone, and kudos to them for supporting you.

Very happy for you Katelyn. Your a great asset to the girls here in Phoenix. Hope to see you around.

I'm happy to hear that for the most part everything went great for you in coming out. I know that it is a great feeling to have that weight lifted off your chest. I hope to hear more about your journey in the coming months.

You are very brave. It takes a lot of guts to do this. I know it will all work out. You are lucky to retain your family. Many stories aren't this positive. Good luck!