Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to go in public as a man in a skirt --- advice?

I want to go in public as a man in a skirt --- advice?

I'm going on a business trip, a long drive from home. I plan to make the trips to and from all day "dress and drives". I'll make a few stops along the way - depending on how bold I feel at the time I'll stay dressed. I'll have to stop for gas and coffee, I'd like to do a little shopping, sit in for lunch along the way, maybe do just a little sight seeing etc.

Unfortunately, because I have a beard I can't even try to pass. I'm going in public as a man in a skirt and pantyhose - which I've never done before. I will try to be otherwise inconspicuous, at least to the degree that I won't wear spike heels, fishnets and a micro skirt! I know I'll draw some stares and glances, but I want to do this, and I feel that I can do it with some confidence and simply enjoy the feel of my favorite style of clothing for the day.

Any advice?

Jacksonville, NC (Nope not military either ;) )
    I have been wanting to do the same thing. I have not been able to bring myself to do it yet though.
    I had been thinking that I would wear something like a just above the knee skirt, something close to a kilt, with a matching shirt with no forms and a nice pair of flats....Thats just me though

A couple of weeks ago, I saw two guys in skirts in two different cities on the same day. The first was in San Francisco waiting in line to change his flight. He had on a plaid skirt with pleats but definately not a kilt. He did not have women's shoes on. The second was in Dallas and he was wearing a utilikilt. So if you have a skirt that could sort-of-be a kilt, that would be more believable and may make you more comfortable.

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

I have done this a few times. I have a just above the knee kahaki skirt that could pass for shorts unless you look closely, I have stopped for gas and so far no one has noticed or said anything. I alos do not present myself as female. Just a guy wearing a skirt

I have lost count the number of times I have worn a skirt as a male.

It started 4 years ago during the summer. It was simply too hot to wear jeans - and I don't like the look of shorts.
    A skirt is more stylish and cooler than shorts.

I think it is very hard for most of us to pass as women. It is much easier just to stay a male but wearing womens clothes.

People do not stare or make any comments at all. In fact the non-reaction is much the same as if you were to wear pants - no big deal.

That last sentence is the advice from me. Treat skirts the same as pants. What are you scared of? A piece of cotton wrapped around your legs?

Oh, look at my signature - it is very appropriate for this thread!
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

What about hosiery and shoes? I wouldn't feel dressed without a slip and pantyhose, and my guy shoes are just too chunky for exposed legs.

I do it very very often my self and I just dress up completely and really forget that my voice is deep and my face unshaven.

The best advice I can give you is CONFIDENCE!

Do not make it look like you are guilty, scared, or whatever. Act normal do things normal. No matter what you wear skirt, pants, hose, socks, heels, sneakers, whatever just be confident and normal like this is how you always dress and do things how you did them before. If you do that no one will question it. Personally though, I normally go out with friends or my GF so I have support. That other person with me helps me stay calm and confident, but the more I go out the less I need that assistance.

But again be confident and normal, I was talking to a friend of mine cause she had an experience with an obvious TS or TG who would have been fine if she hadn't been so scared, hesitant, and embarrassed. It draws negative attention and brings doubts in the people looking at you.

Hope that helps a little, just know you are not a lone and that you can do it!

I have found in my wanderings that at first glance a shorter skirt looks the same as a pair of shorts and the reactions are few. I would definitely go for it. One caveat though, from my experiences, the gas stations and rest stops along the Interstates seem to have a higher "bubba" population than a random gas station/convenience store not on a major highway. Though that could just be a function of my travels in the Intermountain West.

Just do it, enjoy the feeling of wearing a skirt and don't be too surprised at the occasional stare.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    My late wife always did my makeup and fixed my wig so I could pass as Stephanie! After she passed away, I just decided to out as a guy in a skirt or dress. Have been doing that for over 5 years now, and have never had any problems! And I do go everywhere, to restaurants, the Post Office, shopping malls, grocery shopping, etc. Sure people do look, sometimes twice! But so what! I dress to please myself, not the rest of the world! I don't expose myself, or dress to look sexual! I dress to look nice. My clothing when I am dressed like that is totally feminine from the skin out. But with an almost bald head and no makeup, there is no question that I am a male! Most people don't care what others wear, as long as they are decent!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Why bother? Your not representing as a man or a woman, but someone in between. If you can't commit to crossdressing all the way, don't half-ass it

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy X Cruz View Post
    I do it very very often my self and I just dress up completely and really forget that my voice is deep and my face unshaven.

The best advice I can give you is CONFIDENCE!

Do not make it look like you are guilty, scared, or whatever. Act normal do things normal.
    That's one of the reasons why I want to do this, to build up my confidence.

Personally though, I normally go out with friends or my GF so I have support. That other person with me helps me stay calm and confident, but the more I go out the less I need that assistance.

But again be confident and normal, I was talking to a friend of mine cause she had an experience with an obvious TS or TG who would have been fine if she hadn't been so scared, hesitant, and embarrassed. It draws negative attention and brings doubts in the people looking at you.

Hope that helps a little, just know you are not a lone and that you can do it
    I'm doing this solo. I'm very much in the closet, and my wife would not approve of my dressing out of the house (which I do, but only in the car or private walks in the woods). A long trip away from home is a good chance for me to try it out. I will try to be natural and "normal" - yes, as if I'm not dressed in any way unusually at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaS View Post
    Why bother? Your not representing as a man or a woman, but someone in between. If you can't commit to crossdressing all the way, don't half-ass it
    I can't shave off my beard (marital agreement) so I can't represent myself in public as a woman. I want to be out of the house dressed to enjoy the freedom and the feel of my clothing.
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-06-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

I agree with Samantha, but that is just me.
    It sounds like if you want to go our wearing a skirt go for it, have fun.What is the worst that can happen maybe a comment where some one tells you "your wearing a skirt." Your response "Thanks do you like it."
    Go for It post a photo it you can
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by Sallee View Post
    I agree with Samantha, but that is just me.
    It sounds like if you want to go our wearing a skirt go for it, have fun.What is the worst that can happen maybe a comment where some one tells you "your wearing a skirt." Your response "Thanks do you like it."
    Go for It post a photo it you can
    I've thought of posting some photos of what I'm considering wearing. I might even show my face.

Advice?

Well, get cleaned up, assemble a good outfit, take off all your clothing. Slip on your favorite pair of hose, skirt, shirt, and whatever else you want to wear, and head out the door.

Seriously though. I usually wear a long trench coat when in a short skirt, when on my own. But if in the company of friends, especially female ones, I have my legs completely visible.

More men have to get the gumption or courage and just do this. I am very close to wearing a skirted garment to my work. But I need to be sure it is cool to do such (it will be one of my longish skirts though)

Samanthas.

I do not consider what I do "half assing" I do however consider your attitude as one of the problems with guys gaining the freedom to wear what they want.

Very polorized view there Samanthas.
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-06-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
    Samanthas.

I do not consider what I do "half assing" I do however consider your attitude as one of the problems with guys gaining the freedom to wear what they want.

Very polorized view there Samanthas.
    ahmen sister. Who's to say what is and isn't or what one should or can do. Not I. I can tell you that much.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

You might try reading another Current Thread entitled: "Be smart and safe out there." There are huge pitfalls often involved with Partial Dressing.

I didn't say you were doing something stupid, but it's always wise to present well, and not to tempt fate. I have spent a lot of time around Police Officers. They are NEVER amused by someone they think is "pushing their buttons." You do what you want to do, just don't be surprised if there are consequences.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Some years ago I bought a Utilikilt. ( http://www.utilikilts.com/ ) In the summer I wear it everywhere in guy mode its great I have recived nothing but complements. this year I got some below the knee length outdoor cargo skirts from Colombia. I wear them out doing everyday outings with no problems. I have not gone out in full fem so, this is my cheat it works for me right now.

Dress in whatever way you feal comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    You might try reading another Current Thread entitled: "Be smart and safe out there." There are huge pitfalls often involved with Partial Dressing.

I didn't say you were doing something stupid, but it's always wise to present well, and not to tempt fate. I have spent a lot of time around Police Officers. They are NEVER amused by someone they think is "pushing their buttons." You do what you want to do, just don't be surprised if there are consequences.

Peace and Love, Joanie
    I understand using caution by not lurking around public rest rooms in the middle of the night, that seems like suspicious activity in any case. But I've never read a local newspaper report of a man being arrested by the police for having a skirt on. I should think gurls who pass (or think they are passing) are at much greater riskwith the police if they use the ladies room.

When I travel I'll probably use convenience store rest rooms because they are usually single occupancy.

As for partial dressing - I could get fully dressed, head to toe, I have some beautiful dresses - but there's still the beard that would look unfeminine.

Quote Originally Posted by subwrx View Post
    Some years ago I bought a Utilikilt. ( http://www.utilikilts.com/ ) In the summer I wear it everywhere in guy mode its great I have recived nothing but complements. this year I got some below the knee length outdoor cargo skirts from Colombia. I wear them out doing everyday outings with no problems. I have not gone out in full fem so, this is my cheat it works for me right now.

Dress in whatever way you feal comfortable with.
    Well you don't wear pantyhose with a kilt do you? I prefer mid calf length or longer skirts. I have a skirt I wear on my private walks that looks almost masculine - it's long and full, black denim.

I agree there's nothing half-ass about it, it's just another option that should be available to us.

My only advice would be to take photos of yourself in the outfit(s) that you intend to wear, and then a day or so later look back at them and try to be objective about what you see. I know we're a little biased, but what would you think if you saw yourself out and about?

I totally agree on the guy shoes thing - unless you turn that into part of the look, for example chunky biker boots with a plain skirt, or what about sandals?

Quote Originally Posted by SusieK View Post
    My only advice would be to take photos of yourself in the outfit(s) that you intend to wear, and then a day or so later look back at them and try to be objective about what you see. I know we're a little biased, but what would you think if you saw yourself out and about?
    Thanks, that's the sort of advice I've been looking for. I may take soe photos tomorrow morning in the outfits I'm considering. I may even take them outside standing by my car to get a good sense of how I look in a normal environment.

I totally agree on the guy shoes thing - unless you turn that into part of the look, for example chunky biker boots with a plain skirt, or what about sandals?
    Yeah, the shoes have to go with the skirt. And it's getting a little cool for sandles.

I have gone out in a shirt and skirt, and heels in male mode several times, if I had left out the 4 inch pumps and gone with something more consecrative I doubt that I would have had any reaction at all.
    The reactions I have had have been:
    Children (teen and preteen) giggling
    Adult women saying "he is walking in those heels better that I can" or "well he has nice legs"
    I have Been questioned by a mall cop "what's going on SIR" he was wondering what kind of joke I was playing. My answer to him was I am just shopping today.

I have had a rude older teen take multiple pictures of me and a sails girl comment "How rude" to the photographer
    I have had a couple of drunks get up set and make rude comments but that what drunks when alcohol is in charge.
    these represent the very few reactions I have had when going out in mixed gender clothing, most of the time people are nice and polite the few rude reactions are not in any way the norm but they do happen.

My recommendations for doing this:
    if you can, avoid wearing spike heels
    be confident ( if you show that you are nervous you will draw attention to your self)
    Relax
    Smile
    walk from the hips
    and always remember YOU Belong in this world
    Last edited by Kelly Greene; 10-06-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

Quote Originally Posted by annecwesley View Post
    What about hosiery and shoes? I wouldn't feel dressed without a slip and pantyhose, and my guy shoes are just too chunky for exposed legs.
    You have to wear nice shoes like in the picture.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

I was scared the first time I wore ladies jeans. I just knew everyone could tell there were woman's jeans. but the strangest thing happened nobody did. Now That is about all I wear.
    I say go for it. the heak with what others think.

Kymmie
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

subwrx, utilikilts! that is so awesome! i'm just sad that its going to be winter soon.