Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What questions are asked when your ears were pierced?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

What questions are asked when your ears were pierced?

I recently got my ears pierced and it's been interesting to hear the different types of questions that are asked. It's also been interesting to see who has been silent about it.

I'd been telling my wife I was going to get it done. So when it finally happened she said "You finally got your ears pierced." and left it at that.

My young adult children asked if I was going to get my ears guaged. For those that don't know, that's getting the holes enlarged enough to wear button sized jewelry in the hole.

My old friends decided the piercing stud was too subtle and said I needed something metallic or asked if I was going to get big NBA diamonds.

The grandkids were excited that I had earrings and have ignored it since then.

Finally my wife's parents and most of my other casual friends have just been silent about it. Either they don't notice it, don't care about it or realize it's not their place to comment. And all that works for me.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I've really only had two people raise a question:

from a work mate, "Why?" (Because I wanted to!)

and from one of my old school friends, "What's this?" answer, "Pretty ain't they?"

No more was said in either instance.
    DonnaT

"Where do you want them?" and "How many?"

- Diane

Daughter first asked it they were the magnetic type, because I wore them once to fool my son when he picked me up at the airport. Then she asked why both ears. I told her that I couldn't figure out which side was the stereotypical side for gays, so I just got both done. For everyone else when they asked, I just said I missed my mid-life crisis and I am now trying to catch up on all that I missed!

Thanks for the thread.. this is something i am looking at having done and not sure about right now, my hair is long enought that it covers my ears so in most cases no one will see... but wasn't sure what comments i would get.... family is already on me about my hair being so long.. and adding ear rings might not be the right thing right now..but i do so want them..

My experience when getting them pierced at a mall location was the same as Diane's, "Where and how many". Since my first pair I have had them done a the salons I work in and now have 5 in the right and four in the left. Everyone knew I was a little un-balanced anyway...

As far as comments from people seeing them, they just shake their heads
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

I guess this was easier for me being a bit younger of a gal. I got mine done about 4 years ago at a piercing studio and had them use a gauged needle. About two years after that I took a management position that required me to take them out. Fast forward another two years and while on the phone with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago I was getting ready and decided to see if the holes were still open. Can't tell you how excited I was when they slipped right in, plus the hole has shrunk down to a normal 18 gauge down from the 10 it was before.

For anyone looking to do them now I do have a few tips.
    1. Never get them done at a place like claire's or Icing that uses a gun. The trauma from the piercing raises your risk for infection and also makes it take longer to heal. I had this equated to me as about the same as trying to punch a nice even hole in a piece of paper with a spoon going 100 mph... it just doesn't work.
    2. After you get them done, see if the studio has a product called H2Ocean. It is a sea salt solution that is amazing at preventing infection and helping you rapidly heal from the piercing.
    3. Don't cheap out on your earrings. The temptation is there to buy the pack of 20 from walmart/claire's/icing but for your own sake, resist. Make sure anything you buy is surgical stainless steel/silver/sterling silver/gold. The cheaper earrings a lot of time are nickel or aluminum and cause a lot of irritation.

Most comments were positive when i had mine done.Only my family and several friends said somethibg and most of it was good and everyone else just plain and simple don't care.It's getting so common.I guess the question most asked is why both ears and i said get 2 is the in thing now.My advice to anyone wanting to do so is go for it.I love being able to wear the real thing and probaly have 2 dozen sets now
    If I knew where it was going to take me I probably would have put my mother's panties back.

I just remembered reading this post that I had forgotten to put my earrings back in after Saturday night. It gets hard for me to put earrings if I don't wear the posts everyday.

Now my family did complain and ask why but nobody else. They just ignored the whole thing
    Michelle

somebody asked me "why both ears pierced like a woman?". I reply "both are same price like one?". Now i wear earrings only in private, one work friends notice my holes "do you have both ears pierced for crossdressed in the night? i joked". I reply "my ex girlfriend like it".

I had both pierced 6 mo ago, and agree, have it done by someone that is good. I did them at the mall, they used a gun, had a problem with one ear and had to do it over. That one ear was swollen for the next few weeks, and infected on and off for more than three months. Everything has been OK now for maybe two months. My wife gave me two sets of earrings for my next birthday so she is OK with it. Friends are still just noticing and the only question has been How long ago did you have that done.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    One co-worker was surprised, but only because he knows I don't like needles. After I'd had them in for several months and worn a variety of earrings at work, my boss gave a definite double-take upon seeing a fairly-large treble-clef shaped earring that went most of the way up my ear -- but he didn't say anything. One woman at work did remark on them, but not until I'd deliberately given her clues that I was TG. My mother said, "You got your ears pierced"; I said "Yes", and that was that.

Strangers... the only thing I can remember from strangers is the occasional remark that they like the earrings I'm wearing.

I've been visiting the in-laws recently, and I have been wearing definite dangling black pearl earrings; as far as I know none of them have commented (and if they commented in their native language, my wife didn't bother to mention it to me.)

By now when I walk into a place that sells earrings, even if for some reason I don't have any in that day, and even if I've never been there before, the store will assume that I'm buying them for myself. None of them ask me why I would want earrings and none of them try to direct me to "male" earrings. If I happen to focus on some $3000 jeweled women's earrings, the question I get isn't about what kind of earrings "she" (wife / GF) would like: the question I get is "Would you like to try those on?"

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm thinking of having mine done to celebrate retirement (at the end of the month). Tired of having my ears pinched by clip-ons and having them drop off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Gold Member
    I don't recall any comments from strangers. I had two comments at work and I was like Allie in that I said it was a mid-life crisis thing. It was after I had my hair grown out some, so it fit. There was joking later about me being the hippie of the team, but that was more of an overall look comment thing. That was it. No other comments from anyone. Every family member I saw out of state commented on the hair and left the earrings alone.

I have had three ear ring holes for many years and never had a comment. I have two on the left and one on the right. I have about 15 sets and my wife gives me a pair every so often.

Michelle

I pierced mine about a month ago, im 56 and the only person to say and or notice was sis-in-law Oh you pierced your ear! is that a marijuana leaf? it was a gold dove stud type, the only small one I had. since I have pierced both and no one has said a word I used to work for an auction co and bought a lot of costume jewelery but last yr I had a moment of weakness and gave most of my really nice earrings to the nieces for xmas. "somebody slap me" I want them back
    The reason you close your eyes when you dream, when you kiss, and when you pray is because the best things in life aren't seen with your eyes, but are felt with your heart.

Bunny's submissive girl CharleneCD's Avatar
    The only comments I have ever received have been compliments, or the question "Where did you get those?"
    Charlene

Learn To Love Yourself And You will Find That Others Have Always Loved You But You Can Now Accept It.

I had my left pierced bout 3 years ago at 50. Wife at the time wasn't thrilled. Didn't wear an earring much after it healed. Since my divorce I stated dating and most of the women I have gone out with like me to wear an earring. Thinking about the right ear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee20 View Post
    I guess this was easier for me being a bit younger of a gal. I got mine done about 4 years ago at a piercing studio and had them use a gauged needle. About two years after that I took a management position that required me to take them out. Fast forward another two years and while on the phone with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago I was getting ready and decided to see if the holes were still open. Can't tell you how excited I was when they slipped right in, plus the hole has shrunk down to a normal 18 gauge down from the 10 it was before.

For anyone looking to do them now I do have a few tips.
    1. Never get them done at a place like claire's or Icing that uses a gun. The trauma from the piercing raises your risk for infection and also makes it take longer to heal. I had this equated to me as about the same as trying to punch a nice even hole in a piece of paper with a spoon going 100 mph... it just doesn't work.
    2. After you get them done, see if the studio has a product called H2Ocean. It is a sea salt solution that is amazing at preventing infection and helping you rapidly heal from the piercing.
    3. Don't cheap out on your earrings. The temptation is there to buy the pack of 20 from walmart/claire's/icing but for your own sake, resist. Make sure anything you buy is surgical stainless steel/silver/sterling silver/gold. The cheaper earrings a lot of time are nickel or aluminum and cause a lot of irritation.
    Thanks for the tips Aimee, pierced ears are on my bucket list.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Wow ... I'd think no one even looks twice and piercings anymore. There are pro athletes with both ears pierced. I got mine pierced in ... 1986.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles
    I recently got my ears pierced and it's been interesting to hear the different types of questions that are asked. It's also been interesting to see who has been silent about it.
    Either they don't notice it, don't care about it or realize it's not their place to comment. And all that works for me.
    [SIZE="2"]I’ll be doing this soon, so I’ll no doubt be amused at the reactions or lack thereof. I would never wear earrings in front of my other sister, who I see only on Thanksgiving, but I’m sure she would notice the holes. This would at least hint at an alternative-ness that she already suspects, but I find the whole thing to be humorous and somewhat defining. It’s fun to let people know who they’re dealing with, especially if they are prejudicial – I enjoy eliciting reactions and keeping people off-balance, even if it’s only for a moment. When this bigoted sister of mine sees the physical evidence of anti-familial rebellion (ha-ha), I’m sure she’ll make the assumption that I’m gay, even though she previously assumed I wasn’t. Confusion is a good thing, in this case...
    [/SIZE]

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I was 50 when I got my first piercing. I only got flak from those older than I. Heck, my father was completely not pleased (and very vocal about it) so he never gets to see my earrings. Some older friends were also not pleasant about it. I must admit that I got a bit annoyed at what I considered remarkable rudeness. I was 50 years old for heaven's sake! You'd think that my life decisions might not be met with complete derision! Everyone under the age of 50 either didn't mention it, or simply asked how long I've had earrings.

I hadn't thought about this in a while and I can feel my annoyance at those initial reactions growing as I type this. I guess that's why I'm a control freak .

tina

When I got my left ear pierced in March of 1983. At the time the woman who shot my ear thought it was so cool that a 26 year old guy got his ear pierced. This spring I got my right pierced as well and I now wear two earrings all of the time. The dude who pierced my ears didn't say a peep. I usually wear two diamond studs. But this week past I wore dangly ones all week and it was wonderful. But then again we were in P-town at Fantasia Fair. When I got my second ear pierced and showed up in a pink dress shirt one of my partners said: "Are you going gay on us?" I just smiled at him. He then looked at Elizabeth and got quite confused for a moment, then awkward, then silent. Hmmmmm..... Fun!
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Aspiring Member
    Just do it, I don't think many people really care any more. What really matters is if you care what other people think...and why do you care? Besides...clip-ons just plain suck!

I've got three on my left (including one in the cartilage) and one on the right. I just wear mixed and match all the time, rarely everything at once. Boy mode, girl mode whatever.

The cartilage piercing was more painful than the lobes and took longer to heal. I still don't like to sleep in that one cause it can get tender. Used to get a lot of attention for that piercing, but nobody really remarks on it anymore except to say "I didn't know you were pierced up there!"

I've wanted to get a small nostril stud for a long time. Not everyone's cup of tea but I really dig it.

One recommendation, avoid cheap junky earrings since the nickel can make your skin break out. Trust me, inflamed piercings are no fun. Pay a few bucks more and get something non- reactive.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Only two questions were asked.

One was from a male co-worker/friend who casually asked if the piercing hurt.

The other was from a female co-worker who said she liked it and playfully asked if I also had any more piercings, perhaps in more intimate areas that i would like to admit to.

There were absolutly no negitive coments.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 10-26-2010 at 05:08 PM.