Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does our own height impact whether we tend to wear high heels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does our own height impact whether we tend to wear high heels?

I was wondering whether our own natural height would make us more or less likely to wear high heels. Personally I am six feet tall, which is in top 10% of the adult population height wise. Because I'm that tall normally wearing three inch heels then puts me somewhere around the top 2% of the population, which when I'm dressed feels way too tall to me. So while I really like the idea of high heels and own five pair, I find I generally don't actually end up wearing any of them very often. What is other peoples take on this?

I am 6'4" and I wear up to four inch heels. If you are freakishly tall anyway you might as well be really freakishly tall. And I do say so myself I look gorgeous in them.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

At 5-6 I personally don't have to deal with that. However, I regularly go out with two girls who are 6-1 and 6-2 and they look terrific. Yes, you are heads above the others, but with the right look and your own self confidence everyone will look and then go on doing what they were doing before you made your entrance.

It's all about perspective, not yours or mine on the subject of wearing high heels, but rather perspective in relation to size. I'm 6' 3" tall and regularly wear 3" or 4" heels. High heels look more proportinate on a tall person than they do on a shorter person. Like they say...bigger is better!

Juliana

[SIZE=4]While I was attending UC Santa Barbara many years ago, the head librarian was 6 ft 6 inches and wore 5 inch heels daily. Men would actually line up in office windows just to watch her walk by. She was a stunner and knew it and her height merely applified what she had. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I did end up dating her and enjoying time with her even though I am only 5 ft 5. We laughed about it a lot and she always remarked that we were the same height in bed....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Why is that within the first ten minutes when you are in the company of tall men, they have to slip into the conversation how tall they are? I have heard it for over 40 years, and for some reason as a male it tends to appear to place you on a dominance level with other men, just as the length of other things seems to do the same thing. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]With a group of women, height is rarely an issue, regardless of how tall any of the women in the group are (unless it is a tall girl's group)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]When a tall guy comes into the salon for a hair cut, I count the minutes until he tells me how tall he is. I generally hear it within the first ten minutes. Don't know if it is just me, but...[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

I am 6' 1". While I wear heels around the house, I tend to wear flats while out so I don't accentuate my height.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    I am 6'4" and I wear up to four inch heels. If you are freakishly tall anyway you might as well be really freakishly tall. And I do say so myself I look gorgeous in them.
    Same height here. I wear them because they look pretty. Took quite a while to find ones that fit. As I don't venture out of the house, and spend most of the time sitting, I usually can wear them for long periods. Hard to tell, because I don't have any real girls shoes to compare with, but I suppose my 4" heels in a size 16 may equal maybe a 2 or 2 1/2 inch heel for a normal woman's shoe.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I wear heels because my legs look great in them. Being 6'3" has yet to stop me. The taller the heel the better I look.

This subject is one of the top ten repeating ones here. I'm 6'2 barefoot, and wear heels ( except for sanity taking over & wearing "flats" if I'm going to do a LOT of walking, like shopping ). Walk tall & proud.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'm 6'1" and like 3" heels. The key for me is comfort, when I try to wear the higher heels I end up hurting later on.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Should be a spy. ;) italianprincess9878's Avatar
    YES! OMG YES! I'm 5'8" and I have like 5 pairs of 2-3 inch heels and I don't wear them often cause I feel like I'm too tall! It's like all the other girls and guys are staring at me! Although that's probably cause the guys like it and the girls are jealous but still! lol

This subject really is the same as the ones that debate wearing of skirts and dresses versus wearing jeans and a t-shirt. If "blending" is your ultimate goal in dressing in public then you may end up looking like a guy dressed as a girl that is dressed like a guy.

I only get out dressed about 4 times a month and when I do - I like to dress my femme best. Most of the time I go out I will wear a skirt and nice top or a dress, hose, and heels. If I am doing something particularly casual (like going to the zoo), I'll wear a denim skirt and flats. I am 6'-0" in stocking feet and really don't care if I completely blend or not. I like being one of the nicest dressed women wherever I happen to be. The choice between 3" heels or something lower for me has to do with how far I expect to have to walk in them and not due to any concern about how tall they may make me look. I stand tall and proud and most people I encounter react positively to that.
    Phoebe

Platinum Member
    Hi Aaron
    I'm 6'0" I wear 4" & 5" heels all the time the only thing that I have to worry
    about is the kitchen ceiling fan I wouldn't want to mess up my good wig.
    The rest of the world can K. M. A. .

Orchid

I am 5'10" and usually wear 3" to 4" heels when I go clubbing. Most of the time there are gg's that are my height or taller. I wear flats when shopping for the comfort, as most gg,s do.

I'm 5'10" and I wear heels when I am out on the town. Usually they are about a 3" heel, but I definitely have taller.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

I'm 6'6'' and I would wear flats, but I can't find any really cute flats in my size...so I wear heels because I can find some cute shoes in my size (see le dame footwear!) Although I have found a website that will make custom made flats in my size. I also think that heels make my feet appear smaller as well.

I'm 5'8", which is in the top 4% of American women.

I used to be self conscious about my height, since I wear 2.5 - 3.5" heels all the time, but over the years women have gotten taller.

When I started going out 20 years ago, I was nearly always taller than the other women in the room, now that's much less likely, thank G-d!

I think tall is easier to pull off if you get skinny. I swear that taller women are often smaller boned and skinnier than average sized women. The other disadvantage of being tall is that heads will turn -- those of us who are in the typical female height range have it much easier because they are less likely to attract attention. Tall trees catch a lot of wind, you know ...

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    I'm 6'-2-1/2" and all of my shoes are 5"+. I love platforms. Don't go out much, just to gay and lesbian bars, but when I do I tower above everyone else!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

I'm just a little over 6' tall and the only heels I wear are 6-7 inches. I like them big like that. I don't go out wearing them so it doesn't matter to me.

i am only 5 10, but tend to keep to 3 in as my max. just not into tall heels. but most of my "shoes" are in the 2in range, my good heels and high heel boots are 3in.

Platinum Member
    I'm 6'. I have eleven pairs of heels. On average they are all 3"-3 1/2" heels with one pair of 5" heels. I find the 5" heels are hard on my feet and I hardly ever wear them. I can wear the 3" heels all day with no discomfort. I still have to get a pair of flats for driving. The 3" heels work fine for driving local streets, but, I do not find them comfortable from a safety viewpoint on the high speed roads.

height or lack thereof does drive some to wearing heels. the size of your shoe also matters in your choice of heel height. A person with a smaller size cannot wear the taller heels comfortably as they push your foot into a position that is uncomfortable to say the least. I envy the ladies that can wear the 5 and 6 in heels as they do give the wearer a posture that is unmistakenly feminine.

Danni

Does our own height impact whether we tend to wear high heels?
    I don't think height contributes to your desire to wear them, but may contribute to your being self conscience about blending. I am 5'10 and like 3 inch heels. They make the calves look slimmer, and gives me that feminine feeling you just can't get with flats. I think the decision to wear them is based on the feeling you get when you know it makes the entire image more feminine. That leads to an entire inner feminine feeling which is a goal for some. Just like a GG getting all dressed up, they get much more self confidence when they are all dolled up.

I have not gone out yet, but when I do I would prefer to wear heels. My self conscience feeling may over ride what I want to do and I may try to blend more.

a bit nutty
    Oh yeah, I'm 6"1" and I don't care how tall I am. Gimme the 5" spikes any day over the flats! Long sexy legs on a GG are drop dead sexy! It's not the height I worry about, it's the manly face I've got to work on. If I ever went out I'd have to walk backwards, but my legs would definitely attract googly eyed attention.

Not for me, i'm 6 feet in my stocking feet and have heels up to 4", but more to the point both my daughter and daughter-in-law are taller than me, and both have heels of up to 6"