Thread: Volunteered while dressed!

Volunteered while dressed!

I have had a great day! Recently, I posted a thread called the "Best Store Clerks Ever" (link). Well I went there again and shopped. I told the manager that I had considered asking her if I could come in and volunteer while dressed. She said, "Sure, you can hang up clothes." One week later, I go to their store in my blouse, skirt, hose, and heels (with my man head - no makeup or wig). That was today. I was rather nervous. They had me come back in the employee area (a circle of tables) and take clothes that have tags with price and size. I was to put hangers in the clothes and hang them on the rack sorted by size. I did this job while one of the girls (the one in the picture where there are just two of us) tagged the clothes. We talked and worked just like I was just anybody else. Later, another girl and I went out into the store and hung up the clothes from the rack. It was great just being normal but in all women's wear! I wish the story was as exhilarating as the experience. I kept telling them thank you. The kept responding, "for what?" Why can't everyone be so comfortable with me (including me).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like a blast! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

I added larger versions of the pictures to an external web page I have.

Where do I sign up!?!

Hi Jo,
    What a great story !!!!
    I hope you can continue to be yourself and enjoy dressing the way you like.
    It looks like you have made some new friends too.
    Tomara

Johanne,

You really don't look that far out of line for a man with your solid colors and black shoes. I'm glad you could go out AS A MAN wearing the outfit. More men need to have the confidence to overcome the TROUSER TYRANNY the same way as women in the 1940's obliterated the SKIRT TYRANNY.

Glad that you did it! You looked really good!

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by JohnH; 10-30-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

you looked better in your skirt than the sales girls did in there jeans!! Great Job!

Very cool. Glad you had a good time

Thats great dear, you need to do more. You might have hit a gold mine.
    "Originally Posted by Anne66"
    It's store policy: whatever you're looking for, that's what they're out of. And the chances of finding it are in inverse proportion to how much you want it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Not sure what u call women with huevos, JJ. But, u SURE HAVE THEM! Great post!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Ver very awesome to see and read about. What were the ladies' or clientel's reactions?

This is actually really an excellent move. Congrats.

The ladies who worked in the store were very positive. I did not get to spend as much time with one of the girls. I had seen her before on another visit. When she came in to work, she came up to me and said, "I didn't get to introduce myself to you last time you were here..." The other two that I spoke with were very positive. They were complimenting me on this or that. They acted like they thought I was silly for being awkward or bashful or whatever.
    As for the customers, I stood behind a counter most of the time I was there, so there weren't many opportunites for them to see me. When I went out on the floor to hang up clothes, there were not many customers there. One family was shopping around where we were working at one point, but I could not tell if they paid me any attention. When I was about to leave, a lot of people came in at the same time. I think everyone was doing some shopping during their lunch breaks or something. Anyhow, perhaps a few of them saw me. One lady had that uncomfortable look on her face that I see sometimes when I am dressed. She took a few sideways glances over the rack toward my skirt/legs. I did not see any reaction from any others. (I was not trying to give them opportunities to see me.)

Let me say one more time that this was a very pleasant experience. I think the reason why is because I was dressed, but the focus of what I was doing was not the clothes. When I am at home alone dressing, it is all about the clothes and nothing else. When I have dressed and gone out, I had no where to go and nothing to do, it was just all about the clothes. Women don't do that and men don't do that. It is abnormal. But today, I was wearing the clothes that I enjoy, but everything was not focused on them. It was great to be somewhat normal. ...and I don't think I like wearing heels all that much.

I have decided that I will try and go back next week some time in full drab and volunteer some more. Then I can hopefully interact with a customer (for practice). Knowing what to say before I nervously try would be helpful!