Thread: Came out to mom

Came out to mom

Nothing dramatic here, but a nice story.

My mother is staying with my wife at home while I am away for a week. Although my wife is against telling anyone, I decided to tell my mother, because I knew it would not be an issue for her, and she already knew I liked nail polish. She was always a big supported of her gay brother, which also helped my own comfort level with being feminine.

So, I told my mother shortly after picking her up at the airport. She didn't even blink, but had some basic questions like: Are you a TS? Do you wear your wife's clothes, or your own? After a bit more Q & A, she ended with "I may have to rethink your Christmas presents." Later that day, I dressed so my mom could seem me in drag. She thought it looked pretty good, and offered some eye-shadow suggestions.

My wife now has an ally that is non-judgmental, and a week to talk about it. But, my mother also said this is probably not a good time to come out to others in the family. Next, I hope to get my wife out to meet other CD wives.

I wish everybody could have a supporting wife/SO and mother. That is how it should be.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Sounds like your Mom is really cool.. & seems like she knows a lot about it...TS and all, I'm impressed !!..my Mom (83) was not very knowledgeable about these matters at all before I came out to her..
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

I wish I had come out to my mum. (She passed away 4 years ago).

Although I got a bit distant from my parents, I grew so much closer to mum after dad passed away in '95.

I know she would have been supportive and non judgemental.
    Adele. xxx

Mom's are truly amazing. I often wonder if my mom knows or not. She may have suspected while I was growing up.

sounds like this one had a very happy ending. I love happy endings.
    Michelle

Way to go Juno! I am so glad she is supportive of you and that will make your life easier and maybe make Christmas more interesting. My Mom is the only family person I would consider coming out to, and thats partly because she might have some idea I always wore her clothes and makeup as a kid. I was never caught but I can't have always put everything back right. You mentioned she knew you loved nail polish and I am wondering how she knew that. You are truly blessed to have a supportive wife and now Mother also!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy V View Post
    You mentioned she knew you loved nail polish and I am wondering how she knew that.
    First, when I was very young, I ask mom for some nail polish, and she gave it to me. That is one of my earliest feminine memories. I never felt any need to hide it. (Some day, I'll write up a little biography.) A few years ago, I told her that I still liked nail polish. I had a large collection of nail polish long before ever buying any other sort of makeup. Polish on toenails is like underdressing for makeup.

It wasn't until I joined this forum that I realized how stressful this can be for most people. I feel so lucky, and want to help others embrace the good, and leave behind the pain. My mom said she thought I shouldn't go out in public until it was more socially acceptable, but I said that somebody has to get out, or that it will never happen. I am going to get out as much as possible within the limits of my wife's tolerance.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    First, when I was very young, I ask mom for some nail polish, and she gave it to me. That is one of my earliest feminine memories. I never felt any need to hide it. (Some day, I'll write up a little biography.) A few years ago, I told her that I still liked nail polish. I had a large collection of nail polish long before ever buying any other sort of makeup. Polish on toenails is like underdressing for makeup.

It wasn't until I joined this forum that I realized how stressful this can be for most people. I feel so lucky, and want to help others embrace the good, and leave behind the pain. My mom said she thought I shouldn't go out in public until it was more socially acceptable, but I said that somebody has to get out, or that it will never happen. I am going to get out as much as possible within the limits of my wife's tolerance.
    My grandmother (father's side) taught me and my brothers how to apply nail polish, and she bought girls underpants for us.

When the weather was hot down in the Dallas TX area I wore denim skirts almost all the time except for going to church and job interviews. I wore men's shirts and for the most part, men's shoes, although I do have some women's sandals that I wore sometimes.

And yes, there is the refrain, "Wait until it's more socially acceptable" - if men don't go out wearing skirts, how is that ever going to be socially acceptable? Women had to fight for the right to wear pants when it was illegal for them to do so about a century ago.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Juno, That's great that you told your mom and that it went so well. I like the attitude you expressed. Perhaps your wife (and your mom) would be more comfortable with the idea of you going out if you did it in a city other than the one you live in. If you would like some info on some groups you could meet where your wife would be able to meet some wives of other CD's, send me a PM or e-mail.
    Phoebe