Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much research do you do on crossdressing and transgenderisim?

How much research do you do on crossdressing and transgenderisim?

I'm just curious, do any of you research or read books or watch documentaries on crossdressing and or the whole umbrella of transgendered.

I do a bit myself, and even did a project for school about the topic in a sociology class of gender in society.

So I ask the rest of you what kinds of research do you do?

I have read several books, some fiction and others true stories, about transitioning MtF and FtM. I also read a lot here and,of course, take a some of it with a grain of salt. That being said, I have learned a lot here, so my daily reading and commenting on threads is a type of research. Other than that, and except for some detailed conversations with TG to TS pre and post ops MtF and FtM, I have done no other research.

hiya becca,

I read legal, medical, psychology journals & textbooks, etc. like most people read romance novels, lol. I am curious by nature and have a mind like a sponge. By the time I was packing to fly to Vegas for my inguinal surgery, I had probably absorbed enough expertise to have done the surgery myself, lol.

Abstract reasoning is my cognitive gate-keeper so I tend to be a “peripheral investigator” on issues I explore. For me, that strategy provides much deeper understanding than direct “research”. I focus on etiology (causal) issues that fuel the justification and motivation that propels people’s behavior. I feel everyone has logic and reason behind their behavior and actions that somehow makes sense to them. It only needs to make sense to them. This is what I find curious and fascinating, not the actual behavior. I don’t learn much from what is already engaged.

I do lots of research in kenesics, self-esteem/ego strength development, childhood issues, psychology of make-up, socialization strategy, etc. (relevant to crossdressing). Most of what we do is consistent with the personality we established by the age of 5-6 years old, and the unique environment and personal experiences that influenced us as we grew into adulthood. Basically, we are “still kids”…we are just “taller” now.

Hopefully that made some sense. If it did not, rest assured it probably did not to many others reading it either… but it does to me…lol.

There is my periphrastic method of answering your question with a “yes”.

Can I pet the bubble-boy now?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Next to nothing..... about the only thing I read any more are the labels on the clothes I buy...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Hello Becca

I, too, spend a lot of time reading and re-reading materials related to transsexalism and transgenderism continuously. Eluuzion's reference to her mind having a gatekeeper function is very familiar to me. While I do not focus on behavioral issues so much, because I have no further need to explain my own behavior of the cause of my being who I am, I have a great need for specific information about the mechanics and chemistry of transition. I also spend a lot of time reflecting on my inner being, and learning to cultivate my self. This is something that I have done all of my life, yet now the need to do so is even greater.

In addition I spend much time reading journals and blogs of those that travel along the same path.

Kathryn
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

How much research do you do on crossdressing and transgenderisim?

Does looking at hot crossdressers count as research ???????????????????
    If it does, I do a lot.

Very little but i will read or watch something if it just happens to come along but there is an odd consequence to it when i do , some of it makes me very envious and some of it makes me feel i want to detach myself from it .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

[SIZE=4]In the past I used to read everything I could find on the subject, in an attempt to understand what I was doing.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Today, I am with Karren, I read the labels on clothes to see if they can be hand washed or dry cleaned..[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

I have to agree. I'm a kind of 'former researcher." For years I struggled with trying to intellectualize my crossdressing, reading everything I could about it, trying to connect it to whatever may have been missing from my formative years, but it was only about four years ago when my wife and I began seeing a therapist who specializes in gender issues that I began to move away from that paradigm and simply accept the fact that I am a crossdresser and, at age 50 it wasn't going to go away.
    Most of what I read I felt didn't specifically apply to me. I started "My Husband Betty" with great enthusiasm, but I don't really self-identify as transsexual, so I found my interest waning. I also read "head Over Heels," which is really a collection of case studies from the wives of crossdressers; how they discovered their husbands interest, how they have dealt with it. Crossdressing fiction interests me not at all.
    Although I certainly think it's important to gather as much information on the topic as possible (just as with any topic of personal concern--if you were a vegetarian you'd probably want to find out as much as you could about vegetarianism. if, on the off chance you were a republican, you'd probably want to research republican beliefs), but the bottom line will continue to be that it is what it is and we all have to learn to deal with it in our own way.

GGG (Good Giving Game) GG MiamiMarie's Avatar
    Too much. Anything to get a better understanding about my husband

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne f View Post
    some of it makes me very envious and some of it makes me feel i want to detach myself from it .
    I agree with this. I'm the same way.

I feel like I've learned a whole lot reading the posts here and it has helped. I'm going to go see a therapist tomorrow, just myself at first, then my wife will join later. I've got to see where this leads me and stop suppressing it as much as I do. This I've been reading here though, the suppression has been less and less and really looking to forward to the therapy.

I don't read a lot about the subject - mostly read info on websites. I'm not as interested in the why's but more interested in the decisions people have made and their journey. None of us know what journey we are going to take, but reading about journeys by others helps me be prepared if my journey takes the path that another person's journey has taken. Not well said, but I think you probably got the idea.

Freddy

Quote Originally Posted by becca1125n View Post
    I'm just curious, do any of you research or read books or watch documentaries on crossdressing and or the whole umbrella of transgendered.

I do a bit myself, and even did a project for school about the topic in a sociology class of gender in society.

I could have four PHD's on it by now. You have absolutely no idea how much I have read up and done personal research on it. Like many others, it has been for better self-understanding...

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Next to nothing..... about the only thing I read any more are the labels on the clothes I buy...
    Karen, You are so Funny!

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I've done a bunch of research on crossdressing, transgenderism, and transsexuality. All to try to understand myself.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

greensboro nc, wilmington nc, and in the fantasy land of your mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Doolittle View Post
    Karen, You are so Funny!
    she is cute isn't she? :x

I did a bunch of research early on thinking that I could overcome it or cure myself. Once I realized that there is no way it was going to be cured I switched to trying to understand myself and who I really am inside and out. Nowadays I just enjoy being a female,albeit preop, and try to educate the world around me to the best of my ability and their concept of understanding.
    when in doubt, dress

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by becca1125n
    [SIZE="2"]Yes, I’ve read many books about crossdressing, transgenderism, homosexuality, and anything related to these subjects. I’ve even written threads about certain passages I found to be worthy of discussion, or patently untrue, or unsympathetic, written by experts on human sexuality. I bow (or curtsy) to their educated expertise, but I find that you’ll get a better understanding of crossdressing from reading the words contained in this site – much of the revelation is in between the words, so you’ll need to pay attention and keep an open mind. I assume your mind is open, right? Pull up a chair...
    [/SIZE]

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    After almost 70 years of crossdressing, I must have the PHD of PHD's!! I started studying it when I was still young, and still do it now that I am 78! I am probably not as well school educated as many of you, but I have learned a lot in my years. Mainly by reading and talking to people about many things, including crossdressing and transgenderism!

My late wife and I did write a paper on Crossdressing for a Sociology class I was taking back in the late 1950's. She helped because I needed a GG's input! She thought it was fun, especially because I got an A+ on the paper!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I am currently doing some online research for my wife, who is trying to understand the femme side of me. If anyone has any links or suggestions, I would also appreciate it. I got her the books "My Husband Betty" and "My Husband Wears My Clothes" and they were not helpful. She is looking for something more scientific and possibly research that deals with the cause of crossdressing.

I got moves like Jagger. randumbness's Avatar
    I am not a seasoned researcher, but I have been curious and have delved into researching a bit on crossdressing and transgenderism, mainly for my sanity's sake. As a kid, I used to think I was always weird because I knew no one that was like me. But then the internet came along, and I began to read people's blogs, confessions, I soon came to accept myself. And the internet has some great makeup and dressing tips too. Sadly, this was all internet, so these sources are not AS reliable, but being able to read people's thoughts and ideas is already half the research anyway.

That and I joined a T-time club at my college. It was really informative and kept me in the loop on current happenings with people under the transgender umbrella.
    -Tina

Your friendly neighborhood crossdresser.

Ive done some but not enuf. a few hrs maybe, webrousing legit sources for objective science. wanna do more, a question of time, really.

edit: aww i taught i taw a bunny wabbit. i did i did! aw cute wabbit u.

I've made it a point to read everything that I've stumbled on to, on this subject. Just trying to see how it all relates to me and my life. And maybe find some answers to all of it. That being said, over the years, I've learned and benefited from others experiences, and look forward to learning more.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarav View Post
    [SIZE=4]In the past I used to read everything I could find on the subject, in an attempt to understand what I was doing.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Today, I am with Karren, I read the labels on clothes to see if they can be hand washed or dry cleaned..[/SIZE]
    Same here!

A whole hell of a lot..I would like to know what causes it , why we do it and if there is ever a chance for a cure all . Life sucks sometimes living in Limbo ,tho some say there are content I'm further to believe the struggle never really ends. I have allowed this to consume me these past few years making up for lost time while married. I opened doors that in the past where only fantasies . I now know the feeling of some of this fantasies and to be honest I wasn't really impressed.......

I long for a normal life ( if you will ) to not have this 24/7 burden to express ( maybe not 24/7 but a lot of productive time wasted )..I want to get into a relationship find the woman of my dreams , but this continues to be an anchor!! I will not burden any unsuccepected partner with this over whelming desire. I gave myself space to explore and reached out to give in finally at just what was tugging at my shirt tail my whole life. I am now at peace with myself and the desire and created a harmony I can live with through research and visiting places such as this and taking advice or going off of other threaded experiances. That was a major factor in helping me feel more complete with myself and to me that is important by way of guiding me into my next relationship.

It will help me decide when to tell her, how to tell her, how to intergrade it into a relationship as far as the do's and don'ts and most importantly TO TELL HER. It will also be a great help to better understand myself so I can explain why I do what I do ( even tho I really don't know why ). So yes research was very important to me and will become a valuable tool when needed . If I don't understand myself how could I ever expect anyone else too?

Great thread thanks..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

The more TG Literature you read, The Less you will probably know....about yourself! Almost all The "Scholarly Books" are written by people who are looking to make fame and fortune in Their Academic Endeavors. After a while it becomes quite clear that: "These people are full of BS, and they don't know The Cause anymore than I do." Then you start to realize that we are all just a bit different, and our experience has and will be unique!

As others have said, you don't need to read a bunch of Hooey to find Self-Acceptance. I personally think you can learn a lot more by joining A Support Group and actually talking to Sisters who have "been there, done that."

I suppose that a lot of us are like Golfers who always believe that This Year's new Golf Clubs will make The Difference. "If I just buy those new clubs, then I won't suck!" Now paraphrase just a bit, and read The Statement: "If I just buy and read this latest book, then I'll I'll understand myself, and my Life won't Suck!"

Experience says: "That don't work!" Learn Thyself, learn to Accept, you don't need anyone else to tell you what to think, or what to do. If you have that rare ability to gather opinions, and select what works; then, if you can do that, you can probably figure it out by yourself!

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 11-04-2010 at 09:01 PM.