Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your real hair, or wig

Yes, I have my own hair. It's been long for the last 3 years or so except for a spell in July when it was short for a television spot. Sometimes my hair is the cause of some confusion...just today at breakfast out, someone addessed my daughter and I as "...ladies" before I picked my head up from reading the menu. (And this was en drab.)

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I have long hair (seen in avatar). The first day I took off my wig, I knew I could never put it back on. It would be very difficult to go back to wearing a wig. It made this feel so much more real. Having my own long hair made me take a much more serious look at myself and how far I plan to take this - IE would I transition? Putting on a wig can make the difference between looking like a man in makeup and a dress or looking like the woman we desire to be. I now essentially have a wig on all the time, so when am I not Genifer? Real hair changed everything for me. It may just do the same for you.

Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Genifer Teal View Post
    I have long hair (seen in avatar). The first day I took off my wig, I knew I could never put it back on. It would be very difficult to go back to wearing a wig. It made this feel so much more real. Having my own long hair made me take a much more serious look at myself and how far I plan to take this - IE would I transition? Putting on a wig can make the difference between looking like a man in makeup and a dress or looking like the woman we desire to be. I now essentially have a wig on all the time, so when am I not Genifer? Real hair changed everything for me. It may just do the same for you.

Gen
    I don't have to do a thing different from a GG to be en femme, except to shave off my facial hair which I do all the time anyway. As I have written before, I have natural longer hair so I don't need a wig. I also have natural breasts so I don't need breast forms. I have hips so I don't need hip padding.

So for me there is not much difference between being in drab or being en femme. So it is consistent with my decision to use my masculine name all the time and not have a distinct female persona.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Wig for me. There's no way I could do long hair in my man state.

I wear my hair long and will as long as I can have it long. It was near my waist but a few months ago I cut 6" off the length and it has thickened up now. Once I understand wigs I may try a wig just for a change, but for now I prefer my own long hair and just adore updos and pony tails. Silly thing is I have been looking at short, blonde elf styled wigs. Like is that me or is that me, giggles. Guess if I had short hair I would be looking at long hair wigs. Color is an issue as if one has a wig do you color it near to your natural color or go for a complete color change and complete your disguise?

I hate wigs, too hot. But my hair is too short and getting sparser & sparser. A wig helps me look differentand & can change collors & looks. I can be a blond, brunette or auburn haired in seconds flat.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I use wigs presently, am trying to grow my hair out but will need to color it -- too much gray for the likes of me.

wigs for me. I've gone to pricier, more realistic looking wigs over the last few years. I'd LOVE to let my hair grow long, unfortunately, my profession does not allow it :/

I have a lovely human hair wig that I paid a ton for. I use to love wearing it out. Now, for the past 2 years I have been growing my own hair out. I use to keep it at a #2 buzz cut (way to easy to keep it that way LOL) now I have to keep the color in as the grey loves to rear it's ugly head. I have grown it to the top of my bra strap and will keep going as long as I can. I do get the ends dusted now and then to keep the split ends away. My bangs are past my chin now. I have been thinkig of having my bangs cut to my eyes lately. It will help shape my face more since its long and narrow. My wig has bangs and when I put it on now and then I keep telling myself I need bangs cut into my real hair. Ugggh....I hate to have my hair cut and not like the bangs....I can't decide.

I feel more real when going out with my real hair over the wig. The wig looks 100% real on me but I know it's not. I love trying new styles with my own hair now.

EDIT TO ADD: If you color your hair please give Samy Fat Foam a try. It's sold at WalMart only from what I have read. It works great! It's less than $10. Jenn and I gave it a try and we LOVE the stuff. So easy to mix and put on. Being a foam after mixing it goes on so clean and you don't have to worry about it running all over the place. No more $50 colors for this girl at the salon!
    Last edited by Gisele; 11-17-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

I have been letting my hair grow (I'm sure I look like a male bum sometimes...or cool surfer dude...maybe not, sigh) and it is just getting long enough overall to braid it without falling out. It is hard to hide my male pattern in my temples, but it feels pretty cool to almost be able to do a french braid. And with the cheap-o 'Sally's' hair extensions (clip in) I can add length and volume and it looks realistic.
    Chickie

I notice how a lot of you have written about problems of the hair going grey. The interesting thing is my grey hair has a blond appearance. So I'm happy with my natural hair color. My hair used to be a reddish brown.
    John (Legal name)

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    wig only when dressing. at longest, near shoulder length as a kid, but now, my hair gets too thick and wavy.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I suppose I should have made it a bit clearer when I asked, synthetic or human hair, I did mean wigs made with human hair.
    Like some of you I too do'nt have the option of growing my own, have'nt done so for many years, so thank goodness for wig makers.
    Stephanie great to see the the Adams apple is a problem for you to, I have now realised my present wig does not obscure that little problem so will be looking at something a little longer this time.

LOL Joanne

i have short hair in male mode, one day i want to get a wig, right now just look like a guy in a dress.
    Amanda

wigs for me.. i'm lazy.. when i did have long hair, it was so thick and had really nice curl to it.. the girls loved it as well as i. But now.. i like my 5 min shower in the morning

Up till now have only used a wig but I have decided to let my hair grow out and will have it styled in a feminine fashion when it is long enough. Looking forward to that day.

Another Day Another Dress
    Currently I have two wigs that i switch between but havent cut my hair in about 2 months and its about 7 inches long so far and I am planning to keep going with it
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Samantha[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] Another Day Another Dress

Quote Originally Posted by joanne anderson View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I suppose I should have made it a bit clearer when I asked, synthetic or human hair, I did mean wigs made with human hair.
    Like some of you I too do'nt have the option of growing my own, have'nt done so for many years, so thank goodness for wig makers.
    Stephanie great to see the the Adams apple is a problem for you to, I have now realised my present wig does not obscure that little problem so will be looking at something a little longer this time.

LOL Joanne

Ditto on the addams apple for me too! Mine is huge and I hate it.

When I bought my human hair wig I got it with hair 33" from the crown. It does a pretty good job at hiding my A.P. from side views. I also wear turttle necks out alot.
    Another thing to "help" keep eyes off of your neck is to go a little larger in the breast area. I will help draw eyes away from your "problem" areas.
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

I have been blessed with hair that women have told me they would love to have. So yes I keep it long and getting longer every day. The only problem I have with it is the Grey's. So about every three months I dye it, Med. Ash blond which is close to my natural color.
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

I haven't had my hair cut for the past 7 years, alas, it seems to have stopped at the middle of my back (somewhat below where the bra band goes.)
    I used to have longer hair as a little kid, up until I was 6 or so, people kept asking my mom "how's your daughter?"
    (If I could pass that well now....)

Genetics is conspiring against me so I have to wear a wig.

I wish I had real hair I have no choice but to wear wigs since the only real hair I have is on the sides.. Kinda like George Costanza.. makes me hate being in guy mode even more... but often I just shave it all off as it's better being 100% hairless than having the balding thing... Would rather be all bald on purpose rather than look like a man going bald, lol... at least when in drab, as overall I'd rather be female, period.
    Last edited by LitaKelley; 11-20-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Today I was dressed in an androgynous way - long sleeve tshirt, jeans, and boat shoes. I went to a choir practice for the Christmas cantata and I was the only man there except for the director. It was interesting that I have the same hair length as most of the gg ladies, but I was the lone bass in the choir. I looked so much like the ladies, and yet sounded so different!

Lita, here's something to think about. A number of us have hair long enough that we don't need wigs to be en femme. Perhaps you might select out a short wig and wear that while you are in drab. It might be a shock for people to see you wearing a wig in drab who know you for the first time, but they will get used to it.
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-20-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    John (Legal name)