Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was the prettiest girl in the world until...

I was the prettiest girl in the world until...

BAM BAM BAM "YOU NEED TO COME OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM!"

"Uh, excuse me?"

"THIS IS THE MANAGER, YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM!"

I peek out the door and there is this woman, 5' 6" ish late twenties maybe early thirties. "YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM NOW!"

I was wearing a beautiful sweater dress that fit perfectly and I really wanted to buy it. "Do I need to change?"

"YOU NEED TO PUT ON YOUR REGULAR CLOTHES AND LEAVE THE DRESSING ROOM NOW!"

Holy crap. One of my worst fears ("There's a guy in a dress!). I changed as quick as I could. I almost threw up a little. I was a wreck. I lost one of my earring clasps. I gathered up my stuff and took the 4 dresses I was trying on and walked out of the dressing room with my head high as though I did nothing wrong.

There were people standing around and as I got near the manager, she made a comment to someone else (There's a situation going on right now but it is almost over."

Apparently, I was a situation.I hung the clothes on the rack next to the young girl who let me into the dressing room, grabbed my jacket out of my cart (which by the way was filled with a new jacket, two sweaters, some pants and a pajama set in leopard print). and walked out of the store as though I owned the world.

When I got to my truck, I started to break down. I felt every eye from the store peering out at me so I drove away to a mall parking lot where I parked and cried for about 45 minutes.

I couldn't get out of my clothes fast enough. I threw up. I felt so embarassed and disgusted with myself. I have so much shame wearing on me that I can hardly move. I feel as though I weigh 200 pounds more than usual and I don't know what to do.

I am leaving to see my shrink in a few minutes but wanted to get this off my chest before I leave so I at least have it vented before the drive. I can't seem to stop choking up. WTF am I doing with my life? AAAHHHH!!!

For those wondering, the store is Ross Dress for Less in Lynnwood, Washington.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    You have no need to feel disgusted with yourself just because you met with intolerance. The manager's overreaction was her problem, not yours!

If the store is part of a chain, you should consider writing to the head office to explain why neither you nor your friends will spend any money in their chain of stores again. If it is privately owned, and the manager is not the owner, I would write to the owner explaining that their manager doesn't like the colour of your money.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Christy,
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't take it lying down, though. I'd register a formal complaint with the company. You could ask what their official policy is and demand an apology.
    Lynn

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I know I would be sending in a complaint to the headquarters as soon as possible.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Don't let the actions of a narrow minded bigot ruin your self respect. I think you are very attractive and pass very well. They obviously don't need your money. So don't let it bother you. Find a store that appreciates you and your business,

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Christy, thanks so much for venting to us. I know that I feel for you right now. I echo the others here when I say that you are still the prettiest girl in the world. It's the manager (and, most likely, a complaining customer) that are the ugly ones here.

Kathi

What They did to you is wrong . (customer.service@ros.com) I would let them know what kind of people they hire. Every one is a customer and should be treated the same.

Christy, YOU DID NOTHING WRONG!!! The manager's actions were totally inappropriate. She should be reported to corporate. If, I repeat IF there was a situation, she is the one who escalated it, not you. I'm glad you walked out with your head held high. I would estimate somewhere in the area of 5% of Ross's sales come from the transgender community. Are they willing to risk taking that kind of a sales hit due to the bad publicity this will generate in the community? You are owed an apology, if not much more.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Christy, you were definitely mistreated. You did nothing wrong. As you mentioned you were let into the dressing rooms. The store owes you the minimum a major apology. They also need to educate there employees. Saying that that does nothing for the trauma you went through. You are definitely in my thoughts, and I hope you get the support and encouragement you need.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I stongly urge you and anyone who feels like it to register a complaint with the corporate office. You can use this link:

I looked at a couple of websites and that particular store has over 20 posts for bad customer service.

You do have the right to be treated as an equal customer.

Please mention the store address.

http://www.rossstores.com/cu.aspx

[SIZE=5]Ross Dress For Less[/SIZE]

18520 33rd Avenue W # A, Lynnwood, WA 98037-4726 (425) 771-0607 ()
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Christy, YOU DID NOTHING WRONG!!! The manager's actions were totally inappropriate. She should be reported to corporate. If, I repeat IF there was a situation, she is the one who escalated it, not you. I'm glad you walked out with your head held high. I would estimate somewhere in the area of 5% of Ross's sales come from the transgender community. Are they willing to risk taking that kind of a sales hit due to the bad publicity this will generate in the community? You are owed an apology, if not much more.
    Well said. I just want to add a voice of support. She was the one yelling fire in a crowded theater. You did nothing wrong. I would not let one bad employee that needs either retraining or an opportunity to go find a job elsewhere get you down. You are a beautiful person, and she needs to not get away with this. I hope you got her name or at least the time it happened as they can search the employee records to see who was working there that day. Since she said she was the "current" manager, it should not be hard for them to track her down. Wouldn't it be nice to go there in the future and be nicely greeted by the "new" manager. You have our support here. Vent when you need to.

On top of the mistreatment, I'm sure the store owners would not be happy to know they lost quite a lot in sales from your treatment as well as future sales and customers as well.

That was totally uncalled for and that manager deserves to be called on it.

I can't tell how passable you are because you've never posted a Picture Thread. But did they read you by your voice?

Same thing happened to me in Ross in Houston - was very embarrassing. Also happened at Macy's because I shouldn't have outed myself to one saleslady.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I just sent in a complaint. I hope someone gets the message.

I need to add that in the past I have sent in compliments to the corporate offices of Dress Barn and Sephora naming the names of the SA's who were very helpful even though they knew I was a male.
    Last edited by StaceyJane; 11-09-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added sentance
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

I re-read just to make sure I read it right the first time. "I hung the clothes on the rack next to the young girl who let me into the dressing room,"
    Looks to me you better get some serious attention from corporate. Being lead into a "situation" by one of thier emploees only to be totaly humiliated by the manager... What comes to mind is two simple words...... Perry Mason. ( O.K., so I dated myself)

Kind of makes you wonder if there is a law suit possibility since the employee induced trauma sent you strait to your shrink. Makes you wonder also what would happen if a GG were in there that did not look so feminine and they made that mistake. Sounds like they need to upgrade their training program for sure.

I hate the litigious side of life but this is an awful case and a claim should be made in my opinion. It takes less than two minutes to send the head office an email of complaint and that's what we should all do IMO.
    Regarding what is written above: Avoid friendly fire, it causes unnecessary tension. Seek clarification if theres any hint of misunderstanding.

Take care.

Aspiring Member
    OMG Christy I'm soooo sorry you had to go through that completely unnecessary embarrassment. As I was reading your story I actually felt myself getting very angry; that manager had absolutely no reason to handle the "situation" like she did. Good for you for walking out of their with your head held high! I really do think that you handled the situation in the best possible way you could have especially being under such pressure.

Like others have said, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. The only person that deserves to be ashamed of themselves is that intolerant and ignorant manager that obviously isn't capable of handling certain scenarios responsibly and respectively.

I would certainly file a complaint with corporate. Also, I'm in no way a fan of frivolous law suits that go on in the United States but Stephanie and Jenny make some very good points.

Anyway I hope you're feeling a bit better when after you have a chance to talk to your doctor. Try to keep your chin up, I wish you the best

Quote Originally Posted by Christy_M View Post
    BAM BAM BAM "YOU NEED TO COME OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM!"

"Uh, excuse me?"

"THIS IS THE MANAGER, YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM!"

I peek out the door and there is this woman, 5' 6" ish late twenties maybe early thirties. "YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM NOW!"

I was wearing a beautiful sweater dress that fit perfectly and I really wanted to buy it. "Do I need to change?"

"YOU NEED TO PUT ON YOUR REGULAR CLOTHES AND LEAVE THE DRESSING ROOM NOW!"

For those wondering, the store is Ross Dress for Less in Lynnwood, Washington.
    It would have been your perogative to yell - "IS THAT HOW YOU TREAT A CUSTOMER WHO IS ABOUT TO BUY A DRESS?"

You did nothing wrong. If I were in your shoes I might have yelled back at the manager.

I would have told the SA straight up that I was a man, and I would like to try on some women's clothing. The SA could have had the option of leading me to a men's changing room. After that was done, if the manager came by and conducted herself as described above the whole store would have heard my response.

Yes, I think you need to sue for emotional pain and suffering, and damages.
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-09-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

WASHINGTON STATE LAW
    RCW 49.60 The right to be free from discrimination because of
    race, creed, color, national origin, sex, honorably discharged
    veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or the
    presence of any disability. This right shall include, but not be limited
    to the following;
    (a) The right to obtain and hold employment;
    (b) The right to the full enjoyment of any of the accommodations,
    advantages, facilities, or privileges of any place of public resort,
    accommodation, assemblage, or amusement;
    (c) The right to engage in real estate and (d) credit transactions
    and (e) insurance transactions or transactions with health
    maintenance organizations;
    (f) The right to engage in commerce free from any discriminatory
    boycotts or blacklists.
    SHB 1444 - A safe and civil environment in school is necessary for
    students to learn and achieve high academic standards. The
    legislature finds that harassment, intimidation, or bullying, like their
    disruptive or violent behavior, disrupts both a student's ability to
    learn and a school's ability to educate its students in a safe
    environment. Each school district shall adopt or amend if necessary
    a policy that prohibits the harassment, intimidation, or bullying of
    any student, school employee, or volunteer. It is the responsibility of
    each school district to share this policy with parents or guardians,
    students, volunteers, and school employees.
    The Washington State Human Rights Commission enforces the
    Law Against Discrimination. The Commission works to prevent and
    eliminate discrimination by investigating civil rights complaints and
    providing education and training opportunities throughout the state.
    Contact the WSHRC to file a complaint or find out more at:
    www.hum.wa.gov or 800-233-3247

January 31, 2006--Washington State--Governor Gregoire signed a bill that explicitly prohibits acts of prejudice against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Washington becomes the eighth state to include gender identity in its non-discrimination law, and the seventeenth to include sexual orientation.

I usually am very understanding and try to find a mutual grounds for negative responses from folks who do not understand. This time while reading your post Christy I felt your anguish and pain and couldn't contain the anger I felt. This was a personal and obviously intended attack on client going about her business and without merit to summon such a commotion. I am so proud of you having strength to overcome this, even though with costly consequences. This girl, should never been put in a managerial position and if she might have suspected foul-play she should have confronted you with respect and resolve her issue directly with you in private. I am sure this is just an unfortunate event brought on by unkind, unconsidered and miss-hired to a managerial position person. I am willing to write an email or a letter of utmost anger and frustration directed at Ross and to transgender publications which might like to write an article or two about the chain.
    Baby, brush this incident off like a bad case of dust, I know it struck deep and I felt it as well but not everyone is as scarred and phobic like she was, most folks out there are tolerant and helpful. Love, Alexia.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Washington State The Human Rights Commission includes gender identity among groups protected from discrimination and harassment.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil.../2661-S.PL.pdf
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by DonnaT; 11-09-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    DonnaT

I got moves like Jagger. randumbness's Avatar
    I'm shocked because I went shopping at a Ross up in Santa Barbara and no one batted an eye at me shopping for a dress in the dressing isle, though I did get a weird look from the SA who let me into the dressing room. Which one did the young lady send you to, the men's or women's dressing room? It's a safety issue if a man was in a women's dressing room, because, let's face it, it's a dangerous world and people stereotype males for being the ones to rape women in dressing rooms. It's always another safety issue for you when you go into the male side of the dressing room in women's clothing or in drab with women's clothing in your hands because it might cause some sort of trans panic of sorts. At least, that's what I assume. But if you were sent to the male dressing room, or if there was only one dressing room, a complaint should be in order. I don't think stores have the right to refuse service from anyone based on orientation, sex, or religion. This is just my speculation though, I guess, but this situation just sounds completely unjustified, and I hope you feel better about it. I also hope it didn't discourage you from being who you are, because frankly, managers shouldn't care who buys their clothes.
    -Tina

Your friendly neighborhood crossdresser.

I seem to remember someone having problems at another Ross before-maybe it's a pattern?

I'd have been as upset as you were if that'd happened to me and I've been going out for ages. It's hard to think rationally when you're being assaulted (and that is exactly what happened). Now that you have some time to calm down, write to Ross and tell them what happened, then follow it up with a phone call. And let them know that you'll never, ever shop at a Ross again and posted your story to this list so that everyone will know just what kind of transphobic people manage their stores.

And I can tell you that I'll never set foot in a Ross again.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Awww..... I hate Ross!!! Just one more reason not to shop there!!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos