Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Kilt or not to Kilt

To Kilt or not to Kilt

I am retired and work at a Colonial themed restaurant and we wear colonial cotumes. One of the other hosts is Scotish and plans to come on Thanksgiving in a kilt which is historically correct. I told him I would wear one too, I don't know if I am brave enough to do that, I guess with the knee socks you wear nobody would notice my shaved legs, but if I do wear one I hope nobody lifts my kilt because you all know what I would be wearing... Should I do it..???

YES! You should wear the Kilt. I know I would.

I have worn kilts here in my "RedNeck" community, and have had absolutely no negative comments.

And it is a myth as to what you find under a kilt, so if you are worried about the exposure, "cover up" rather than "hang loose".

One thing you will find is that the kilt is much heavier than any skirt you have worn.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Humph, some of the most Manly men I ever knew were of Scottish dessent. Wear one and be proud !!!!!!!!!!

Speaking as a proud Scot go for it. At least you won't get any stares or snidey comments. You'll get MORE attention than less.

Yes what a great chance to wear clothes like that in public and not get looked at funny

I am sure you will look great in a Kilt

You can be sure no one will mistake it for a skirt, so relax and enjoy it
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

And wear so cute strappy heels wit it, they won't notice lol BJ

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Honestly officer ... I never kilt nobody !
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

No offense but i don't see where a kilt is very femme but if it works for you wear it and be happy girl.
    If I knew where it was going to take me I probably would have put my mother's panties back.

Hi Joan, what a great idea! I have worn a military kilt often (many years ago.....). While correct Black Watch uniform dress does not allow anything else to be worn under the kilt, most other folks do. And in your case...perhaps some pretty panties? In any event, to get the correct length...kneel on the floor, and the kilt should just touch the floor. That is the correct height for the kilt, and when worn with hose or hose tops (or....hmmmmm...perhaps we can get creative....) only your knees show....so only a very observant person would notice you had no hair. However, I am sure your attractive legs will cause many heads to turn...so maybe someone WILL notice.... Hey, what the hell....how bout some black tights? I love the idea, hope you go for it, and let us know how it went. Have fun!
    Dea

Go ahead, have fun. No one will really notice if you have shaved legs.

I would not normally wear a kilt without black tights, but, you know if I want to wear a kilt to work, I better wqear the socks, of course, I plan to wear some frilly panties.

Go for it Kimberlee, there is a man that works at the local chrysler dealer that wears a kilt to work all summer.

Just a man in a skirt xd-tigger's Avatar
    Why do you not feel brave enough to wear a kilt, you wear skirts, so this is a chance to wear something similar and not have people think twice.
    Bouncing is what tiggers do best.
    I'm not a girl. I'm a man in a skirt.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by joan47
    I told him I would wear one too, I don't know if I am brave enough to do that, I guess with the knee socks you wear nobody would notice my shaved legs, but if I do wear one I hope nobody lifts my kilt because you all know what I would be wearing... Should I do it..???
    [SIZE="2"]Why not? It’s a male garment. This fascination with “what’s under the kilt” turns my stomach. That’s all you ever see, or hear, or giggle about, since you’re THAT close to actually seeing something you aren’t meant to see. Big deal (no pun intended)! Personally, I like to de-male the kilt by removing all of the accessories – ditch the sporran, the sword pin, the belt, the buckles and the kilt flashes, and make a feminine statement (of sorts). Of course, wear your favorite panties (and some feminine knee socks) with the kilt and be yourself – if anyone is curious, just tell them you’re NOT going commando...
    [/SIZE]

Wear the kilt. No one will even think about you being a crossdresser. Don't worry about your shaved legs. Almost no one will notice, and you won't get any comments - maybe one, but I doubt it. All you have to do is say that you don't have much leg hair - and that's absolutely true, because it's shaved off.
    A kilt is not seen as feminine. If you wear panties with it, maybe. I understand most don't wear anything under the kilt.

Freddy

Authentic kilts are fairly expensive. Maybe you could wear a skirt that looks like kilt, and say it was because you couldn't afford the real one. I actually looked at kilts, then settled on a nice wool skirt that looked similar to a kilt for far less. In reality, a kilt is just a men's skirt, so why not go with one more your style?
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Gold Member
    If you are going to be around others that are theme dressed, then why not? I saw a guy at work a couple of weeks ago in a kilt and I was the only one in the area that paid him attention outside of those talking to him. Kind of surprised me a bit as I was thinking it was uncommon enough to draw notice. So it is no big deal.

I'm in a medieval re-enactment society and I LOVE A MAN IN A KILT. GO FOR IT!!!!! LOL :-)
    "I know the difference between myself and my reflection. I just can't help but to wonder, which of us do you love?" ~Evanescence~

My question is, do you have access to a kilt as they can be rather expensive. Don't worry about the shaved legs though, no one notices, especially if you wear the kilt hose.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Hi,

Im a scot & yes a kilt would be quite normal for me , if i had gone over to the scotish highland band i would have , any way im in our scotish soc & its never a problem male or female. at preasent we dont have our tartan till i find out from the U K .

Now it make little difference as i wear skirts all the time.
    I would go for it & enjoy the day, so what shaved legs still looks good & with high socks dont forget the blouse or white shirt.
    have fun ,

Oh all most for got , Bzychick im with the S. C. A . & as a Archer with my garb , we are the Southron Gaard ch ch , N Z

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 11-15-2010 at 04:37 AM.

I wear my kilts and Charlie jacket all of the time and have NEVER had ANY snyde or rude comments. Actually quite the opposite. As to what's "Worn" under the kilt?? My stock answer is: "Nothing is worn, Ma'am. Everything is in tip-top shape". Did I mention that I also play the pipes??
    Joni

Hi Joan47.
    I'd like to correct Alberta-Pats thinking that as a true kilt is heavy, then it wont lift up with the wind.. I can remember watching a military display at Edinburgh Castle where the gaurds were being changed, as one moved forward to allow his replacement to take over, a strong wind blew at this point his kilt was completely lifted up at his rear and as is expected in any Sottish regiment whose official uniform is the kilt he had " Nothing on " unfortunately his photo was flashed around the world.
    What you have to watch out when asked whats underneath and you fail to answer is the prankster who finds something to lift it just to satisfy his curiuosity.
    Joan, just go ahead and wear from one who has worn it often, have a great day.

LOL joanne

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Well as a Proud Scot,what else am I going to say,but go for it,and dont worry about shaved legs,I was proud to wear Full Highland Dress at my Wedding,no one noticed my legs,if Kilt is worn properly there shouldn't be much flesh on show.As for wearing anything under the Kilt its not compulary to go "commando" even for true Scots (I thought pink frillies but wore silk boxers LOL,well it was November),Anyway if anyone trys it on,theres always the Skean dhu in ya sock to ward off any unwanted advances LOL

Good job its not a Scottish Wedding,you ever tried dancing! to "oops upside ya head" in a Kilt I hope you decide to wear the Kilt,am sure you will enjoy the experience

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Wear a kilt by all means but it isn't the same as a skirt. I wear a kilt quite often, being a Scot, and I can assure you that the weight in a kilt (there are yards and yards of material in one) and the way it hangs is completely different from a skirt. You shouldn't have any problems with cold apart from on your kneecaps as it is a surprisingly warm garment (the air trapped in all those folds). However you might want to wear some flesh coloured stockings as well as the socks. I've done that a few times complete with garter belt but no panties. Its been noticed once or twice but I simply claim that the stockings are to keep my legs warm and also meet the tradition of not wearing any pants under the kilt.

Strong wind can indeed lift a kilt but I've never had any such problem. Mind you dancing in a kilt (and I don't mean ballroom) can be very revealing if you are not careful. But what the hell - they say it pays to advertise.
    Last edited by Davina-Alba; 12-13-2010 at 07:25 AM.