Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA or UK

USA or UK

Just wondering is cross-dressing more accepted in the US or the UK from what i read on here it seems that it is somewhat more accepted in the US if so i am booking my tickets and applying for green card

Aspiring Member
    Hi Janec, not sure where you are coming from, but I would say the "good ol' USA" is really at the bottom of the heap for just about everything else in life at the present time and likely to be there for at least another decade, you would have to be 24/7 if you were going to come here just to CD. 15 million out of work, another million foreclosures this year, jobs scarce as hen's teeth. And the worst part of it is, if you hit bottom, there is nothing here to help you. It's a very cold place generally. IT is definitely NOT EUROPE.

Maybe the moving is not such a good idea then just seems that there is more support than here although its hard to see from the closet so will carry on enjoying cding in here as i am a long way from 24/7 and also my wife is even farther away from that stage if ever

I dunno, it seems there seems to be a lot more history of more iconic crossdressers on British Television. Danny LaRue, the Monty Python crew, Barry Humphries, Eddie Lizard and just about every British sitcom like Little Britain, Carry On Doctor seems to have some crossdressing episodes to them . The Way Out club also seems to be going strong after many years. Probably the best CD movie, Just Like a Woman, was a UK production.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

I assume, it depends on where you live in either country.... I assume there's more accepting and less accepting parts of each..... But if you add all the accepting people up in each country and divide it by the number of crossdressers in that country times avagadros number...... The US wins because it's larger... (I rounded up.... and made up all the variables..... what engineers do best)

Short answer.... Beats me??
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

i know some people in England, and they kind of told me that in spite of how progressive Americans think UK or Europe is, it's not as progressive as you may think.
    Here in the US, you will have no problem in the big metro areas like City or Boston or L.A. or San Francisco, or small metro areas.
    The only time I get a bad feeling is down south in the rural areas that have a large constituency of Christian fundamentalists, and their preoccupation with parables from the Old testament.
    The word "transgender" comes up pretty much every day in the newspapers so it's not like the general public isn't aware.

Nacy TO, you forget that we have RuPaul on tv here in the US. Long before that was Milton Berle in the 1950's and Flip Wilson in the late 1960's
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 11-15-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by busker View Post
    Hi Janec, not sure where you are coming from, but I would say the "good ol' USA" is really at the bottom of the heap for just about everything else in life at the present time and likely to be there for at least another decade, you would have to be 24/7 if you were going to come here just to CD. 15 million out of work, another million foreclosures this year, jobs scarce as hen's teeth. And the worst part of it is, if you hit bottom, there is nothing here to help you. It's a very cold place generally. IT is definitely NOT EUROPE.
    As a matter of interest are there many skilled workers ie Plumbers, Carpenters, Electricians etc out of work in the US.................

Lots of love Gina x
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

From what I've seen in my lifetime, the Brits are much more open than Americans. There is less sensorship (take Benny Hill for instance..shown here in the U.S= snip-snip edit, whreas in the U.K, it's all o.k.) and they generally seem to roll with the punches a little more. That being said, and having been close friends with several Brits in Fl,( and even working for a nice couple) It seems that they are not phased a bit about the silly things in life. So maybe it isn't so bad on the other side of the pond.

It`s like most things , if you are in a tolerant area then you can not understand why some make so much fuss about it but if you are in a none tolerant area then you find it hard to understand how some can be so open with it , in the town where i live it would definitely be frowned upon yet travel a few miles to anther town and know one would take any notice of you but as i have said before it is not the thousands that pass you by and take no notice of you that will effect you it is the odd one or two that makes a point of picking on you that effects you the most but(always that but) saying that from what i have seen of some things in some states of America i would be very frightened to be a bit different , only going by the television thought, ( why does it feel odd to abbreviate television down to TV on here )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I say split the difference and check out Canada.

I can think of a lot of negatives about USA; it is easy to see the bad parts of the country you live in. My brother has some friends who got fed up with US-ians and moved to New Zealand. They like it there, but are considering moving back because they still have so many friend and family ties to the US. For most people, I think the better solution is to move to a nicer part of your current country.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

I have no experience of the US but have been going out alone in the UK for some time. I have found that busy places are the best, everyone is too interested in their own affairs to worry too much about other people. There have been a few incidents but nothing that could be described as threatening. Confidence and making others believe that you think you should be there helps. Go out and "wave the flag", the more CDs are seen the more accepted we will be. Don't think you will pass, mostly you will beun-noticed or ignored and usually accepted. I have found that most shops and cafes do not bat an eye in towns.
    Ali Cats Creameries

Home is where the cream is.
    I was born into a life of cream.
    Cream is Forever.

[SIZE="3"]The sour , painful economy, and cost of housing, makes it very hard to move these days. Seriously, we seem to be going into a depression, as this is one of the longest downturns in 75 yrs. Thrift and charity stores are doing well. Be careful, wherever you try going out.[/SIZE]

the happy camper
    I kinda thought crossdressing was like a national sport in the UK, right up there with cricket and football. I'm thinking of the Doctor and Martha at the Globe Theater:

Martha: "And those are men dressed as women, yeah?"

The Doctor: "London never changes..."

Living in a modest sized town in the UK, where everybody knows everybody, (thats polite speak for, can't help sticking their noses into other peoples business), I wouldn't want my CDing to be known. The sole reason being, that there are a few scum bags who I know, who would go out of their way to make my life hell. Looking from our side of the Atlantic you could get the impression it is all roses over there, regarding tolerance to CDing. Being somewhat of a cynic, I don't fall for that. Instead I believe that most folk, either here, in the states, or anywhere else, are to busy with their own lives to worry about some guy dressed in female attire, some folk will raise an eyebrow, some folk will be interested, and there will always be an element who will seize on it as a sign of weakness and a jolly good excuse to persecute someone.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop Louise
    The sour, painful economy, and cost of housing, makes it very hard to move these days. Seriously, we seem to be going into a depression, as this is one of the longest downturns in 75 yrs. Thrift and charity stores are doing well. Be careful, wherever you try going out.
    [SIZE="2"]I think we are in a DEPRESSION, albeit not completely similar to the famous one in the 1930’s. It’s a word that few dare to speak, just like all other politically-incorrect words or phrases. You know, if we don’t mention it, it just might go away…

It is difficult to move around, especially if you’re a crossdresser. I can’t think of a good place to display one’s grasp of enlightenment via clothing anywhere in the USA. It all depends on your particular level of accomplishment, and your tolerance of the intolerant…
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by MargaretJ
    Being somewhat of a cynic, I don't fall for that. Instead I believe that most folk, either here, in the states, or anywhere else, are to busy with their own lives to worry about some guy dressed in female attire, some folk will raise an eyebrow, some folk will be interested, and there will always be an element who will seize on it as a sign of weakness and a jolly good excuse to persecute someone.
    [SIZE="2"]Yeah, that about sums it up. Don’t go looking for trouble. I can only talk about the few places I’ve lived, namely Massachusetts and Kansas. Both places were (or are) the same in regards to intolerance, but in Massachusetts you can expect a more vocal response if you are noticed – I never had any problems going around en femme, or shopping, but there were so many people that you tend to get lost in the crowd for better or worse. People really are too busy with their own lives to notice a solitary crossdresser, or initiate a confrontation with one…

Here in Kansas I feel isolated, but there are fewer people and, subsequently, much more room to move around in. I wouldn’t expect ridicule or censure if I was caught crossdressing in public, but I’m discrete at all times by default. People are accepting and tolerant, I feel, but I think they would see crossdressing as a problem that goes against their upbringing, since gender roles are mainly pre-determined for the good of the family. I don’t wish to upset the delicate balance that is in place here on the prairie, so I measure my crossdressing time accordingly and keep to myself, same as it ever was…
    [/SIZE]

I've never been to the UK, but I've read a lot about current life there (and am fascinated by the Victorian period).

I've had no problem walking around in public over the last 20 years here in Southern California. The worst I've gotten is "Oh, my god, that's a guy!" from some young ladies. I've never gotten anything hateful or threatening.

I'm not sure, but it seems that the British underclass (which is mostly caucasian from what I've read) is a bit nastier than the American underclass. I don't think we have the phenomenon of "yobs" or the drunken brawling class in the same numbers. Maybe in the rural areas? Bear in mind that I only have experience in California, but I have thousands of hours of out and about "face time".

My impression is that the American public in large cities at least, is quite polite, and keeps its thoughts to itself.

I hope I haven't ignited a trans-atlantic war!! I'm interested in what folks here have to say, and not close-minded, these are just my impressions from afar.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Janec, I think you're asking the WRONG question!

U SHOULD be asking, "Where is the best place to live in the US?"

Remember, the entire UK could fit into ONE of our states! The cultural and economic differences here r QUITE DRAMATIC!

Take the county I live in; with maybe 4+ million people. There r clean, safe, well to do and beautiful neighborhoods! And also some, dirty, unsafe after dark, rundown and poor neighborhoods!

If you're serious about relocating, u need to VISIT HERE! Go to the places u think u mite like and decide for yourself! If your first visit is LESS than 2 months long, you'll probably have to come back again to choose!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member

yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginax View Post
    As a matter of interest are there many skilled workers ie Plumbers, Carpenters, Electricians etc out of work in the US.................

Lots of love Gina x
    Hi Gina,
    As I understand it, they are out of work in droves. Since the construction industry is a large labor pool, and housing construction is now at an all time low, from what i understand, it is not a good time to be a carpenter, electrician or plumber, though plumbers probably do better simply because every house might need a plumber for drains or whatever. The last figure I heard was that around 12 million NEW homes are built yearly and there are now that many or more on the market and needing owners. Some speculative construction going on but not enough to keep regular work hours .
    So what that does mean, is that all the CDer's who are in construction business get a lot more time to dress up, but no money to buy new clothes.
    ttfn

It always seemed to me that the UK had a much higher comfort level with CD'ing, possibly because of their theatrical history among other things, but if actual residents are saying here that it's not necessarily the case, I'm not going to argue with them. Both times I'd been there I visited a Transformation salon, and the fact that such a business exists as a chain impresses me. One thing to note, however: It seems that on alt.com, there are a LOT more women in the UK, when you account for the population difference between there and N. America, who are interested in CD's. Being a rabid Anglophile, that's just a bonus, but a really big one!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I assume, it depends on where you live in either country.... I assume there's more accepting and less accepting parts of each..... But if you add all the accepting people up in each country and divide it by the number of crossdressers in that country times avagadros number...... The US wins because it's larger... (I rounded up.... and made up all the variables..... what engineers do best)

Short answer.... Beats me??
    Avogadro's Number? Fellow science nerd, are we?

I must have been in England, NW London all of 3 hrs and I ran into 2 or 3 cross dressers. Two in the grocery store. Frm that experience I would have to say England
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    When I first came on here I had preconceived ideas that CDing would be reviled in the US.Maybe I've been watching too many gritty US drama's etc on television lol.

But It seems to me that America has a lot going for it on the TG front,compared to the UK.But as others have said,I suppose it all comes down to what parts of our respective countries we are from e.g. here in Scotland I wouldn't feel able to cross dress in the Highlands and Islands where they are more Presbyterian,and fire and brimstone than in most other parts of the Country.But even if it was much better anywhere else,I Couldn't ever leave my Land I would hope to make It better from within

Of course We must all be aware of our surroundings,and which places you go,regardless of where you are in the World

Sophie
    Last edited by t-girlxsophie; 11-17-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I lived in the UK for 2 years about 30 years ago. A long time before the openness of the internet. My sense then was that the British were much more tolerent of CDing. A lot more of it in the media, (and the Parliment?). While in the States, CDing was much less open, or accepted.

I would caution those of you in the UK to not accept this forum as the standard for how CDing is handled over here. This is a big country, and some areas are much more tolerant than others.

it all depends on were you live and who is living around you, most small towns will not like you. most big city's will tolerate you.
    but stay in the light in the city's or you will not walk out into the light again. but the stores love what money we do have.
    and if you come here bring enough money to live on for a good ten years. work is hard to come by right now, crime is on the increase. what with the feds doing things to make company's move to china. good jobs are leaving and more and more people trying to get the lesser jobs.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    My personal experience is .... "it all depends" ..... it depends on where you go. London, Brighton, Manchester etc... not a problem. Similarly, San Fransisco, New York, Atlanta, etc ... not a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is good and bad on both sides of the pond.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!