Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USA or UK

a bit nutty
    Quote Originally Posted by ICU Nurse View Post
    I say split the difference and check out Canada.
    You're kidding right? I mean you're from the "Detroit area", same here except from the Canadian side of the river. Oh, right. A nurse is always in demand. Jobs (except in health care) are as scarce as a hen's tooth as someone else put it.

Tolerant in Canada? Huh. Someone burnt a cross on a African Canadian's lawn a few months ago on the East Coast. Your neighbors in Windsor are constantly beating up homosexuals downtown. I had "I'M GAY" written in the dirt on my tailgate and a bra hung from my licence plate. Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us.

Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLeigh View Post
    You're kidding right? I mean you're from the "Detroit area", same here except from the Canadian side of the river. Oh, right. A nurse is always in demand. Jobs (except in health care) are as scarce as a hen's tooth as someone else put it.

Tolerant in Canada? Huh. Someone burnt a cross on a African Canadian's lawn a few months ago on the East Coast. Your neighbors in Windsor are constantly beating up homosexuals downtown. I had "I'M GAY" written in the dirt on my tailgate and a bra hung from my licence plate. Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us.

Ginger
    \

Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us. Probably the best quote that I've read in a long time. All of the large cities in the world have more diversity than any small city any where. Ottawa, capital of Canada is very accepting to any race or sexual orientation but go 5 blocks in the wrong direction and you'll have walked into a quagmire of degenerates.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLeigh View Post

Ginger
    \

Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us. Probably the best quote that I've read in a long time. All of the large cities in the world have more diversity than any small city any where. Ottawa, capital of Canada is very accepting to any race or sexual orientation but go 5 blocks in the wrong direction and you'll have walked into a quagmire of degenerates.

Hi..

Can i sugest New zealand first & then Austraila,,as iv been in oz e & am accepted there as well.

Now of cause ill say N Z because we live here if you would like to be accepted then you accept our ways & then become a part of us join in the things we do & allow others to get to know you ,

Any way just a thought .

...noeleena...

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    My personal experience is .... "it all depends" ..... it depends on where you go. London, Brighton, Manchester etc... not a problem. Similarly, San Fransisco, New York, Atlanta, etc ... not a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is good and bad on both sides of the pond.

As someone who ventured out en femme (pre transition) in the USA (Hanover PA) and is now living F/T in a small town near Nottingham UK, I had no problems in the US (except for trying to eat a rather fantastic french onion soup without wrecking my lippy) and since my transition have had no issues in the UK.

I've become a firm believer in the premise that if you behave as if you belong you get no (or few) problems, but if you shy from interaction then thats when issues arise.

Here in the U.K. you can be ridiculed if you crossdress.
    In the U.S. they pull a gun on you. Or have I been watching too much American T.V.
    O.K. I was joking, Really!

SUZY

I have been out dressed in both countrys .But theres not a cut and dry answer , How well do you pass ? do you dress to blend in ? and the most important
    where you are , Being out in central London or New York is Ok but venture into the sounding areas and it might get trickery,

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICU Nurse View Post
    I say split the difference and check out Canada.
    I'd second that motion. Just carefully pick where you end up. In Winnipeg, for example, we have a reasonably open GLBT community. We also, however, have very cold winters.

I will second Canada I would go out in Vancouver Toronto or Montreal rather than London or NY not sure about Halifax though
    I travel a lot ,

I guess it seems that which ever side of the pond you live on the big cities are the places to be as for jobs etc also seems that we are all facing the same problems more and more jobs disapearing and the working classes suffering whilst the rich get richer

Trying not to stereotype:
    There certainly are cultural differences; despite having a reputation for being prim and proper, reserved even, the UK is in many respects a very forgiving laid back if not sophisticated place. If a celeb accidentally swears on prime time TV, so what, it’s no big deal. Gay men kissing in dramas go un-noticed. Ill treat a dog or a cat and you’ll be hunted down.

There isn’t anywhere near the equivalent of the bible belt and that I feel has an effect. And while the UK is an island we’re now so closely joined to Europe and exposed to the different cultures there that that has an influence on how we react. In the past couple of years I’ve holidayed in France, Belgium, Italy and Spain. 90% of Brits have a valid passport and use it. True there are those who would like to see the English Channel used as a moat to keep Johnny foreigner at bay but they’re fewer and fewer.

One big difference that seems to be somewhat at the forefront of certain aspects of US thinking is the use of the fear factor by politicians, scare the populous and implement all sorts of draconian legislation or even go to war. Brits tend to worry about it if and when it happens. It’s the “You can’t live your life being afraid of what if” mentality. Smoking and junk food will kill more people than terrorists ever will.

So back to the question: where is CD’ing more tolerated. In larger conurbations, it’s probably the same whichever side of the pond you’re on.

And it's always greener on the other side . . .

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    And it's always greener on the other side . . .
    How do you ever survive in Texas, Kimberly, with all those guns and redneck cowboys?

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    There isn’t anywhere near the equivalent of the bible belt and that I feel has an effect.
    With respect Helen you havent been to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland In communities where the Free Church of Scotland (wee free's) are in a majority,To Crossdress there would be seen as an Abomination,and "the Bad fire" would surely beckon LOL,be a brave soul who would venture there dressed (hmmm)They would give the bible belt a run for their money,Indeed they have 5 Congregations in the States inc Atlanta,GreenvilleSC and Washington DC.

But i agree with you It is Probably the same in Larger,more populated areas no matter where in the world you are

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

No experience of the USA, but I’ve had no problems so far in the uk. It all depends on where you live though, in either country.

I was in Canada for 2 weeks this year and didn’t cd once, my attention was too focused on the beauty of the country. Next time i'm back, 2012, I’ll make more of an effort

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie86 View Post
    How do you ever survive in Texas, Kimberly, with all those guns and redneck cowboys?
    She travels a lot

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    i know some people in England, and they kind of told me that in spite of how progressive Americans think UK or Europe is, it's not as progressive as you may think.
    Here in the US, you will have no problem in the big metro areas like City or Boston or L.A. or San Francisco, or small metro areas.
    The only time I get a bad feeling is down south in the rural areas that have a large constituency of Christian fundamentalists, and their preoccupation with parables from the Old testament.
    The word "transgender" comes up pretty much every day in the newspapers so it's not like the general public isn't aware.

Nacy TO, you forget that we have RuPaul on tv here in the US. Long before that was Milton Berle in the 1950's and Flip Wilson in the late 1960's
    where there is ignorance there is prejudice. If they are too stupid to be able to read then all they know is what their preacher tells them.
    BTW are not the parables in the New Testament?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie86 View Post
    You know, there are places in Texas that I might hesitate to travel in, but the Austin area is like a little oasis. With the University of Texas being here, there is a very open and accepting atmosphere here.

Gold Member
    I agree with many that it isn't necessarily about the country, but where you are in that country. But I will add another variation. I firmly believe you could take two of us and put them in the same location and one will say it is entirely accepting and the other will not want to go out because of the locals (their lifestyle, religion, whatever). So how you view and deal with things comes into play a lot and may be the greatest factor of deciding if you live in an accepting place.