Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drag or En Femme?

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar

Drag or En Femme?

I was just reading a thread that asked how long one spends in drag. I thought to myself I don't dress in drag, I dress en femme.... Drag reminds me of the Jerry Springer show types where as en femme reminds me more of dressing like a woman.

How do you all feel about these terms and how they are used?

Hugs, Becky

I suppose it somewhat depends on the context. I probably wouldn't respond well to "drag queen", but for the most part, drag, en femme, in fem, all get the point across. I don't get hung up on semantics.

I'm kind of with you Becky on this one. Since "drag" was congered up from the term "drag queen" whereas the true meaning - to me - of a drag queen is to pretend to be a woman for entertainment purposes. And en femm - to me - for the most part means to emulate a female.... then I associate with femm and look upon drag as something much, much less than a ladies everyday standard of living.

I'm not fond of drag or gurl or any word that has even a hit of a demeaning sound to it.......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I agree. Drag has a lot of baggage attached to it. I prefer just saying that I'm dressed.

I suppose, looking back to the early days, it was 'drag' - the clothes I had were positively horrid. At least now, as I've matured - and I should add, with the help of my somewhat understanding SO, I have at last developed a more sophisticated look in which I could pass 'en femme' (though haven't had the courage to go out in daylight yet, perhaps one day soon)

xx Polly R

To me "drag" refers to over the top dressing, often to imitate a star, such as Dolly Parton. It is a form of extreme presentation and not general dressing as a female.

Becky, i'm with you here girl. i don't know that drag is a negative term, but more used for theatrical dressing heavy makeup for the lights etc. i feel i dress en femme, more like the woman next door. it does not matter if its jeans and top or an evening dress...en femme does not look like drag. So i see a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Who or what one considers themself to be is the important thing.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

drag or enfem. It's all the same to me. Me and my freinds called it "dressing" twenty years ago. We didn't say "drag" usually. I never heard of "enfem" until I started to lurk this forum around 2004 or 2005. That's the term I use in the forum and under most circumstances I say it because it's understandable to the general CD community at large. I suppose "drag" and "drag queen" are somewhat demeaning. Like "colored" instead of African American or "Oriental" instead of Asian. Yet if you think about it,drag queens seem to be very sarcastic and assertive and up to task in general and you don't think of them as,on the whole,demeaned.

Does it really matter? It's ambiguous? Most people don't even know the difference. I'm sure we all do because this is our life! Try not to get caught up in semantics. Be yourself and know who you are! Obviously, you're not some uneducated person looking to exploit yourself and those around you for 15 minutes of fame on Jerry Springer. Love all your sisters, and embrace them unconditionally
    much like you would like others to accept you.

xoxo KatT

well i never thought negatively about Drag by itself because I thought it meant DRessed As Girl (DRessed As Boy for Drab). That describes what I do...if it is offensive, I'll stop using it.

I'm dressed or just being Melanie

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyAnderson
    How do you all feel about these terms and how they are used?
    [SIZE="2"]I know some define “drag” as dressed-as-a girl, but I define the term to mean caricature, over-statement, ridicule, making fun, over-the-top, laying it on thick, just for laughs, and not making the slightest attempt to “pass” or embrace certain feminine characteristics. By these self-evident definitions, I wish to inform everyone that I spend ZERO time in drag…[/SIZE]

I don't like the term drag used to describe a crossdresser. It does have that Jerry Springer mentality attached to it. Like tranny or sissy they sound disrespectful to me. I consider the source and don't make an issue of it, but it's not a nice term.

Quote Originally Posted by msniki48 View Post
    Becky, i'm with you here girl. i don't know that drag is a negative term, but more used for theatrical dressing heavy makeup for the lights etc. i feel i dress en femme, more like the woman next door. it does not matter if its jeans and top or an evening dress...en femme does not look like drag. So i see a difference.
    I'm with you too! It does not accurately describe how I dress.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

I find myself usually saying "girl mode," when I talk about dressing up fully. I do think of drag as being a very specific type of crossdressing/performance art, and en femme is something I use more in writing than spoken conversation. Since I usually dress as a guy in a skirt it doesn't come up as much. I tend to not correct people when they do say drag but I try not to say it myself.

Because when I dress in girl mode I feel a little like I'm in character, I've taken to referring to it as "putting the girl on."
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I regard Drag as a form of art or acting. I for one am not good at either. I generally say dressed to quantify my time as Gina. I as a whole dont get too hung up on wordage(not sure if that is even a word). The term Drag does not insult me, however I think as of now I dont have the talent necessary to be a drag queen, or even the desire- thats not me. However it might be fun for a night- kind of like Halloween.

Apples and Cumquats! Drag has a real flavor to it that I find has nothing to do with my crossdressing. Of course opinions will vary, but I'm with you. I do not consider my efforts to emulate women as drag, and I do not want others to refer to my efforts as drag. I have no problem with drag, but it "aint" me.

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar

Unhappy Sorry people

Please forgive me. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I was meaning drag as dressed as a girl. Or at least that's what I thought it meant. Doesn't DRAB mean DRessed As a Boy???

See now I'm trerribly embarassed. However it seems that no matter what you say it upset someone.

Again very sorry.

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    Briana, please don't be embarrassed and definitely don't feel like you have upset anyone. Hugs, Becky

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Briana90802 View Post
    Please forgive me. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I was meaning drag as dressed as a girl. Or at least that's what I thought it meant. Doesn't DRAB mean DRessed As a Boy???

See now I'm trerribly embarassed. However it seems that no matter what you say it upset someone.

Again very sorry.
    No insults were taken, it is just a word. It's meaning will change over time, no matter what we think In popular culture right now drag refers mostly to a performance involving cross gender impersonization. Just for the record, I'd never heard the use of "enfemme" till I got here.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

They are all just another differant set of labels.
    Although I think of DRAG as kinda being over the top, The big hair and the sparkling gowns.

I just dress as me. Not really looking like a girl, or an over the top DRAG Queen. Just an ugly old guy dressing like he likes.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

To me the term "drag" as in drag queen simply means over the top, taking the micky out of dressing as the opposite sex, exaggerating the femininity in make up and feminine gestures as used in the entertainment industry. When used in context, the term "drag queen" does not bother me and drag queens I find quite interesting as entertainment when it is intended for entertainment. Giggling, earlier on when I was a novice at makeup I may have been seen more as a drag queen than a crossdresser but practice makes me better as I seek to simplify transitioning. Unfortunately some people loosely use the term which to us who take the CDing seriously feel it is demeaning. But alas, it is just a mere name that should be like water off a ducks back.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    "Potahto, and/or, potayto". They both taste EXACTLY the same to me! Lol!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!