Thread: If a tree falls in the forest ...

If a tree falls in the forest ...

... and no one hears, did it make a sound?

If you wear clothing--shirts, pants, shoes--made for women and sold in women's stores, but in plain unisex styles, colors and patterns, so no one really notices, is that cross-dressing?

Today I went out in girl's trainers, jeans, polo & pullover, all black. Girl-side buttons on the polo, but not flagrant under the pullover. I didn't have the courage to carry a purse or put on a necklace, so just stuck the essentials in pants pockets. Lots of women go out in very much the same outfit, and of course lots of men as well.

So does that count as going out en femme?

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

I don't know the answer but I do exactly the same thing and with bra & forms and panties & slip as well, and most times some lip gloss as well, it feels so good...........

Lots of love Gina x
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

I guess it still makes it cross dressing , the main thing is that you are happy doing it that way .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

The first thing to determine is what constitutes female clothing?
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

A couple of times I have bought clothing in 2nd hand thrift shops that was on the wrong rack, a pair of pants and a shirt that were actually women's items, based on silly things like sizing labels and button location. I honestly did not realize this when I bought them; I was just going for the style and colour. But, having then bought them and then seeing what I had, I have to admit I got a kick from wearing them quite openly to work (professional environment, tie worn), along with unseen pantyhose, and my usual long hair and earrings. I even once wore a pair of flat women's boots with the outfit, so the only male clothing I had on was my belt and tie. And nothing was said, and I doubt anything noticed.

So it was bit silly in some ways, as I was hardly looking very feminine. I recall reading somewhere an explanation from a psychologist that there are crossdressers who, if the only difference between women's and men's clothes were the number of buttons on a shirt, and if the penalty for being discovered with the "wrong" number of buttons was death by hanging, would nonetheless risk all for their crossdressing.

Really, what I like is feminine clothing: frills and lace and satin and skirts and nylons and heels and on and on. Wearing women's jeans is not of interest, as I don't like jeans at all, and so much of women's clothing is simply androgynous, and not of interest to me.

Michaella

Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    If you wear clothing--shirts, pants, shoes--made for women and sold in women's stores, but in plain unisex styles, colors and patterns, so no one really notices, is that cross-dressing?
    I consider that to be crossdressing, because you are a man wearing clothing made for women. I don't consider that to be going out en femme, because you are not trying to present yourself as female, but are trying crossdress under the radar.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar

Today I went out in girl's trainers, jeans, polo & pullover, all black. Girl-side buttons on the polo, but not flagrant under the pullover. I didn't have the courage to carry a purse or put on a necklace, so just stuck the essentials in pants pockets. Lots of women go out in very much the same outfit, and of course lots of men as well.

If you aree wearing clothing made for the opposite gender, then technically yes, you are cross-dressing. If you are cross-dressed (MtF) and go out then yes (for me) you are going out en femme. What is more important, though is how you felt about it. Did it feel right to you? If not, what woul dyou change next time?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Don't get me wrong I do dress enfemme at home in very feminine clothes it is just that when I go out to the supermarket etc I'm probably dressed more androgynous than anything else but still wear feminine underwear including bra and forms..............

Love Gina x

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

Addendum to my previous post: But that does not mean I have any objection to others wearing female-designated but androgynously-styled clothing. Whatever works for you I certainly support; I did not intend to suggest otherwise.

I think I'd be happy if I could once in a while go out in a really nice dress, and have the option to wear a skirt to work or casually. It seems to me androgyny tends to mean the feminine tending towards the masculine, rather than the masculine tending towards the feminine, and for me that's just frustrating.

Michaella

I'm wondering why it really matters.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Rhodes View Post
    It doesn't, it is just interesting and it is just another facet of crossdressing to be considered.............

Love Gina x

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise Rhodes View Post
    Perhaps it matters to Lainie because she wants to understand where she is at the moment.

And then again, perhaps the first question in the OP matters more to her than the second? Who are we to say and why should we worry for what reason she asked the question?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Mostly I asked because I thought it might generate some interesting replies, so thank you all for sharing! I do feel daring, and I'm pushing the boundaries a little. I've done this occasionally in the past, hoping that my wife wouldn't notice (or that she would) and at work (where nobody said anything). Just bought some really nice pants and blouses, and now that it's finally sweater weather in Houston (damn global warming!) the opportunity presents itself again.

But what would really help would be if man-bags became all the rage. Not holding my breath!

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

According to the rule book... Chapter 3, paragraph 2... "If clothing worn can not be distinguished as feminine in nature, no mater who it was originally manufactured for... It is not considered crossdressing"... If caught wearing said clothing a warning will be issued... Multiple warning can lead to a suspension or revocation of UOC card... (Union of Crossdressers)..

Rules are rules... Not like I make them up!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    If you are a man and wear feminine clothing of any type, you are a crossdresser. If you go out of the house dressed that way, than of course you are out enfemme!

The thought you need to get in your mind is that the clothes you wear are your business, and nobody elses. That said, of course you have to consider what your wife would think! My late wife was totally supportive of my crossdressing and always did my makeup and fixed my wig when I went out. Now that she is gone, I still go out dressed enfemme, but looking exactly like the man that I am! No makeup or wig. I am not good with either, so don't bother. Surprisingly, the only comments I usually get are compliments on my outfits, or questions about where I bought certain things!! The large majority of people don't really care what you wear, as long as you are decent and not dressed to stand out!!

BTW, Lanie, there are man-bags available! I own 2 of them, and use them frequently. Of course, I also have several regular women's purses and use them!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Aspiring Member

ch3 para 3

Laine,
    I had a man-bag but I'm divorced now---- It's only a joke!!

Karren,
    So conversely.
    If I wear a football jersey from ND designed for men, does that mean that I could still be a jock and wear Jockey panties too, and be considered the Hunchback of ND?

My two cents: I have been wearing womens jeans and shorts for a couple of years now. I spent a lot of time observing what woment wear when casual. Just about anything goes. I prefer the fit of the clothes and who cares what side the buttons are on, although it is different to button up, kinda nice actually, makes me feel good. I really like the color/style of womens tennis shoes. I did get some verbal abuse about the shorts length when playing golf, but I really don't like the knee length mens shorts in style right now. As an aside, I was driving on the freeway last week with my sun visor over to the driver side window, blocking my face. I have shoulder length hair which was visable below the visor. I was wearing my short shorts with a lot of leg showing and a tight top, also visable. I got honked at by truckers looking in. Made me feel good, but still totally guy looking to stop and get gas.

The only reasonable answer to this question is ... How did it make YOU feel? If you felt the same sort of feminine energy or contentment that you get from wearing more explicitly female clothes, then yes, it was crossdressing. Otherwise, just some nicer than usual exercise gear.

- Diane

You could wear a thong under your male business suit and be thought of as a crossdresser, if anyone found out. So yes wearing all female clothes even if they pass for male is still crossdressing. I’m saying this as I only wear woman’s clothes but it’s not always obvious. The main thing is I feel good, as opposed to wearing male clothes and feeling nothing.