Thread: Out of the mouths of the very elderly

Out of the mouths of the very elderly

Today, I went as a guy to a new salon to get my regular ol' guy haircut. As my stylist was cutting my hair, a very elderly woman was assisted into the salon in her wheelchair. I quickly gathered that she was very well-known in the salon, especially for her outspokenness. She was really darling.

She was seated at the station next to mine and she suddenly exclaims to my stylist "Give him a girl's hairstyle!" I briefly inventoried my clothing to see if was wearing a skirt or makeup. But no, everything was "male." All of us had a chuckle in response to her directive. I really wanted to say "Yes, PLEASE let's do that!" but restrained myself.

15 minutes later, as I left I passed behind her and wished her a good day. After I got to the counter to pay my bill, I heard her blurt out very loudly, "All the men want to be girls." I loved it! This "man" sure does!!

This dear old woman's comments were probably rooted in her harmless belief that a "real" man wouldn't get a haircut in a salon, but would go to a barber instead. However, I chose to interpret her comments as pointing out that some of us males really do want to be girls!

Two comments:

a) you are most likely right
    b) as we get older, not only do we suss things out very quickly (well some of us) but we also don't give a sh** about what we say!

So who knows... either way it is a great story and metaphor,,,
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Watch what you say about the elderly! I am 78, and have been CD'ing since age 6 or 7! And yes I also go to a salon, and get my haircut by a lady. Of my haircut is the use of an electric razor to cut what hair there is to 1/8th inch! Not very feminine1 But I do not have any desire to be a woman. I just like to wear their clothes.

The elsderly lady probably does not know how few barbershops there are these days!

Kaz was very correct in her point "B!" I have been that way most of my life! And maybe the old lady's idea was correct!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Life is like a box of..
    Great story.. made me smile
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces.
    Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
    -Ashley Smith

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Aww how sweet,but dont you feel it was a chance spurned,the likeliehood being she isnt likely to meet you again,would have been interesting to have heard the outcome,had to chuckle when you said you checked yourself to see if you had any evidence on you

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Amanda,

It's not always just the very elderly that do this. The very young can also come out with comments when in salons.

It does make you look and make sure you aren't showing more than you think you are.

Danni

That Old lady sounds really cool.
    Angie

I had the other experience. The other being aproached by a young girl , I would say 6 years of age or so. Very loud and direct. She was with her mother and she walked up to me while I was in the lingerie department looking at bras. ..."What are you doing here? Why are you here? (then a very loud laugh..) I said to the girl, (her mother was trying to ignor the girls comments and me) I am just waiting for my wife, she went to the bathroom. To which the girl said, "You don't have a wife. I didn't see no wife. Mom did you see his wife? (again as loud as she could speak) I didn't see your wife. You don't have a wife. Why are you here?" I just walked about 20 feet in the oppisite direction, as the mother guided her in the other direction. I tried not to be embarrassed, but I am sure I was blushing....out of mouths of Babes...........Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Oilpainter35 View Post
    I had the other experience. The other being aproached by a young girl , I would say 6 years of age or so. Very loud and direct. She was with her mother and she walked up to me while I was in the lingerie department looking at bras. ..."What are you doing here? Why are you here? (then a very loud laugh..) I said to the girl, (her mother was trying to ignor the girls comments and me) I am just waiting for my wife, she went to the bathroom. To which the girl said, "You don't have a wife. I didn't see no wife. Mom did you see his wife? (again as loud as she could speak) I didn't see your wife. You don't have a wife. Why are you here?" I just walked about 20 feet in the oppisite direction, as the mother guided her in the other direction. I tried not to be embarrassed, but I am sure I was blushing....out of mouths of Babes...........Drew
    "out of mouths of Babes" Yes, babes who haven't been raised very well. Haven't been raised to respect older people or just other people in general. The mother should have told her to be quiet after the first statement and appologized to you.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    The elsderly lady probably does not know how few barbershops there are these days!
    Actually, that was the first thought that came to my mind. She was unhappy to find a male in what she thought was a haven for the girls, so she wanted to embarrass you. Not being there makes it hard to figure out what was going on in her mind. It's possible that she picked up on something and just turned the filters off.
    Last edited by az_azeel; 11-19-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

As the old saying goes, "with age comes wisdom". She seems like a very wise elderly lady, perhaps she has had experience with transgendered folk.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

A few years ago I would have been very upset if someone had said that to me because I was uncomfortable in my own skin and pretty shy. Today, I would probably open up about my halloween costume. I doubt I would say, sure lets do a female cut unless I walked in there with that goal. I think I would try to ask the old lady why she said what she did to determine if it is something she saw in me or does she say that to everyone.
    Chickie

Actually both of these "cute" people to me seem crass, and annoying. One oldster trying to continue lousy sterotypes "a man in a saloon MUST want to be a woman". But then again she is beyond the age where she could learn new things, most likely. I fail to understand the notion this woman is "wise" to me she is part of the problem with things getting to change. OUtdated notions that should go the way of the Dodo. (Perhaps I am not getting the emotion of the moment, since this is text, and I don't know the lady)

As far as the little rug rat. Where the hell was the Parental unit? and why was this kid allowed to go up to a perfect stranger, and esentially make acustations along the lines of "you're a boy, and you don't belong here"

Sorry, I fail to see the cute in these examples.
    Last edited by Pythos; 11-19-2010 at 12:13 PM.

I perceived the encounter as really humorous and ironic, given that I'm a full-fledged crossdresser. I don't think advanced age is a license to say offensive things, but it takes a lot to get me to react emotionally. Regardless of age, anyone saying what she said is just plain ignorant and asking for a fight. Pythos' word "crass" is quite suitable. As for the story of the little twit in the lingerie department, I have to blame the mother for not taking control of the situation. I would have been so tempted to escalate the situation by "confessing" to the child that she was right and I was indeed shopping for a bra for myself and I would appreciate her minding her owned damned business. Probably would have left the little idiot speechless.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Thank goodness It wasn't just me,thinking that the Little "Angel" in the store,Was being extremely rude and obviously hasn't learned any respect,but she is of course very young and am sure her Mother will be teaching her in the future,WONT SHE?

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

To give the lady due respect, she was pretty much correct as far as I’m concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Oilpainter35 View Post
    Too bad you did not have the presence of mind to confront the mother to get the daughter to shut up. I'm glad I read about what you all go through so that if I encounter similar circumstances I will know how to deal with the situation instead of retreating in embarrassment.

Proteus, I added this section. Kids should NOT feel free to talk to adults the way she did. That is being disrespectful.
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-19-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Kids like that are testing boundaries. She thought she was being really clever. Best thing to do would be to just tell her that "bras aren't just for girls, boys can wear them if they feel like it". Maybe she'll learn something for a change.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22
    This dear old woman's comments were probably rooted in her harmless belief that a "real" man wouldn't get a haircut in a salon, but would go to a barber instead. However, I chose to interpret her comments as pointing out that some of us males really do want to be girls!
    [SIZE="2"]Isn’t senility charming? You’re free to interpret her comments anyway you wish, but she may be thinking about that period, not too long ago, when long hair (for males) proliferated, and the genders were a little closer, necessitating hair stylists for men. As for her “harmless belief” about “real” men belonging in a barber shop, I wouldn’t call it harmless, but I would ignore it. Consider the source…
    [/SIZE]

The old curmudgeon says:"If that little brat had grown up when I did, she would have been given a swat on the butt and a quick march out of the store, after the mom's apology to the injured party." As for the old lady, age has it's privileges, but rudeness isn't one of them.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Did she think she was in a women's only salon?!?

Sweet Southern Girl looki Alicia_lynn419's Avatar
    That' s a great Story Mandy! I know the feeling of having to bite your tongue....